Scale Rot... Round Two!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Scale Rot... Round Two!

Since Eddie's Regurgitation on December 12 I've been giving him lots of time to himself. I gave him 12 days without handling, and I've been taking him out to look him over every three days since then (as opposed to the daily routine of 10-15 minute handling I have with my other two during spot checks/cleanings). I've been trying to keep him undisturbed and stress free as much as I can.

Eddie has been on paper towel substrate (folded sheets) since his arrival on November 17 because he arrived with the onset of a minor bout of scale rot. I've been replacing the substrate weekly since then, and giving the cage a good deep cleaning every two weeks. The scale rot cleared up nicely after two weeks of treatment with a twice daily treatment of vet prescribed Silver Sulfadiazine Cream and Chlorhexidine swabbing. ...Eddie's stress shed helped wipe away the discolored scales nicely too.

His temps have been 80 on the cool side 85 on the warm with humidity hovering around 55%. I lowered his temps from 82/88 to their current placement after his regurg for fear that this may have played a role in the vomiting.

Well three days ago, when I had Eddie out last, he appeared to be fine... today I was greeted with two areas on is ventral scales that are showing the initial stages of scale rot! ...Again!

This is like a slap in the face since I've been trying to keep his environment clean and controlled since his last bout. His substrate hasn't been wet, and he hasn't been sitting in urates or feces. His cage has been spotless!

And to add to this matter this comes just days before his first feeding since his regurg, so I now feel like I have to choose whether to feed this week, or treat the scale rot (I have plenty of SSD left over from his last round), since I'm afraid that if I let this go for few days while he digests the infection could just get a deeper hold.

Same area, just different view:

Re: Scale Rot... Round Two!

wow that must be frustrating...I believe it can be left over bacteria within the skin folds and maybe if the medical treatment is continued, it would prevent further growth of this bacteria...

Ask your vet, if you can continue with the ointments

Comment

Poor Eddie he has had a rough ride.... stay positive. I'm not sure why it has come back.

Comment

I'd go ahead and feed. That little scale disruption doesn't seem extreme

Put a little of the oinment on there , I say give feeding a try "IMO"

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I'm treating this pretty aggressively. Not only am I swabbing with Chlorhexidine and applying SSD twice a day, but I'm changing his paper towels once a day, and whiping down his cage with a Chlorhexidine solution as well (including his hide). I figure I'll do a cleaning with 5% bleach solution every other day - so I'll do one tomorrow morning before I try to feed him.

Treatment with the SSD should last about 14 days... I may continue beyond that just to be sure.

Comment

I agree with Lar here Mike. I would feed Eddie and wait to see what comes out of it later.

It doesn't look nearly as bad as it did before. At least the scales look like living tissue. Just apply ointment and keep his substrate fresh. I think he will be alright.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm going to offer the mouse pinkie tonight. I wanted to get one more treatment of ointment in before feeding, and I wanted to let it set for about 12 hours. This way he has 5 treatments in.

Comment

Let us know how the feeding and progress goes Mike

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Well, Eddie ate his mouse pink last night. It was actually rather amusing. He wanted to constrict, but the pink wasn't big enough so he wound up rolling around like a cork screw for about 10-15 seconds before he decided to just swallow it.

Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                  X