No announcement yet.

Does SSD cream induce shedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Medication] Does SSD cream induce shedding?

So I'm in the middle of treating Eddie for his re-occurrence of scale rot, and after several days of treatment he started showing signs of going into a shed cycle. He's only eaten twice since his last shed because there was a regurg in there and he went 4 weeks without a meal - so I don't see this as related to growth. ...And several days after of treatment with SSD cream during his first scale rot infection he went into shed cycle as well - and that was only a couple of weeks after a shed.

So I'm wondering it there isn't something about Silver Sulfadiazine Cream that induces sheds. Or is it just the stress of having the cream applied daily.

Any thoughts?

Re: Does SSD cream induce shedding?

Could be just shedding more frequently because of the scale rot. I know a boa will shed more frequently if it is healing from cuts or burns until the wound is healed so it would make sense.

Comment

True enough, but I'm just wondering if something about SSD doesn't induce stress sheds.

Granted I'm not really going to experiment with this and find out if this is related to the SSD or not. This is just something that was ticking around my brain the past couple of days.

Comment

SSD is great and very safe, i recently had a boa with a abcess tooth and after surgery we had to apply SSD 2 times a day in the mouth ( fun I tell you 6ft + and cranky male). My vet said any snake owner should have it on hand, its good for alot of things. as far as shedding i would guess it is getting rid of the problem area more then the cream causing it.

Comment

Mike they are always growing so sheding is inevitable. But as stated it is probably healing hence the sheds.

Comment

OK, so it looks like I wound up doing a bit of an experiment anyway. After Eddie's shed I continued the SSD treatment in hopes to keep a re-occurrence from happening - he got about 7 days of treatment total since his shed on the 21st... that shed was 11 days ago, and now he's going into shed again. I thought his eyes were looking a bit blue yesterday, but it was so faint I wasn't sure... now I'm sure. I will continue with the SSD for a few more days as per my vet's direction (read here), but Eddie has had minimal skin irritation since his last shed. As a matter of fact it looks like the re-occurrence I though he had this time around was a likely a bit of unshed skin.

This is not a true clinical test of the matter, but looking back at my records shed cycle started 5-7 days after treatment began each time. (5 days after twice daily use began, 7 days after twice daily use began, and now 7 days after twice daily use began). ...I'd say that there is something in SSD that induces shed. This is not to say that I don't swear by the stuff (because I do), but there does seem to be a correlation.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman2197 View Post
              SSD is great and very safe, i recently had a boa with a abcess tooth and after surgery we had to apply SSD 2 times a day in the mouth ( fun I tell you 6ft + and cranky male). My vet said any snake owner should have it on hand, its good for alot of things. as far as shedding i would guess it is getting rid of the problem area more then the cream causing it.
              where would someone buy this? is it over the counter?

Comment

SSD is prescription based, but I've found that a quick Google brings up a few options that allow for purchasing without and RX. It's not very expensive, and if you can get it I recommend having it in your herp medicine cabinet. It's great for dermal irritation/infection.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I think I will use google to get me some of this too. I've never used it but am always looking for good snake care and health products.

Comment

Working...
                  X