rtb might have skin rot?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] rtb might have skin rot?!

last week my boa had a red area on his belly. at first i thought it was from his heat pad since he would move his substrate so he would be directly on it. i put him in a new enclosure with a diff heat pad, but two days afterwards when i was taking him out where it was once red, it started to blister. so i moved him into a ten gallon and put paper towels and now have a heat lamp. his water bowl is tiny, only big enough for him to drink in. i started to apply noesporin. a read one post saying that his vet prescribed him ssc and i had some so thats what im using now with betadine. i would appreciate any more help or advice
    thanks

(some of his scales fell off last night, where it use to blister)

Re: rtb might have skin rot?!

i just called around and found out we have no reptile vets where i live, the closest one is about a 2 hour drive away...

Comment

It might be a burn, cant tell with out pics. Id let him soak in a shallow betadine water solution for about 15min. and do the neo again till you can get to the vet.

Comment

I think pics would help but I don't think it sounds like a burn.

Comment

the pics i keep taking dont show anything im bringing the snake to the vet on saturday, i wish i could go sooner but i have school
          but im pretty sure its more serious than a burn, where his scales fell off they look "rusty" colored, but hopefully its not.. the vet tech. said if it is skin rot there is no topical to put on the skin to make it better. so it would just keep getting worse since snake skin doesnt absorb anything so he needs a shot... or something.. hopefully he doesnt get worse though!

Comment

Originally posted by sarawr View Post
            but im pretty sure its more serious than a burn, where his scales fell off they look "rusty" colored, but hopefully its not
            Rust colored scales sounds like scale rot.

the vet tech. said if it is skin rot there is no topical to put on the skin to make it better. so it would just keep getting worse since snake skin doesnt absorb anything so he needs a shot... or something.. hopefully he doesnt get worse though!
            This is not entirely correct. If scale rot is caught soon enough topical treatments will work. If the scales begin to blister, fall off, and abcess then topical no long is the course of action required it has progressed to an internal infection at this point. Then you need systemic antibiotics (injections).

Snake skin does not absorb the way ours does, but that doesn't preclude topical treatments. The bacterial (as long as it is still on the outside of the body) can be treated with antibiotic ointments and antiseptics - these will kill the bacteria that are causing the topical damage. But like I said it needs to be caught soon enough, or no amount of topical treatment will turn the tide.

Snap and post some pics when you can. Good luck. And welcome to RTB!

Comment

he has formed more blisters but i am pretty sure they are still in the area it was still pink... when i get home i will take some pictures of the blisters and hopefully you will be able to see them, will a topical slow it down if it is scale rot?

and also, my brother said scale rot is 'air borne' is that true?

Comment

Topical treatment will help slow down the blusters, and can even reduce the blisters. When Eddie had his first bought of scale rot there was blister forming in one of the affected areas (slight, but it was there) when I started the SSD, and it reduced and did not go any further.

This time around blisters never formed because I caught it soon enough.

As far as being air born... not so much. It's a bacterial infection, bacteria can be moved from location to location via air currents, but it also depends on the type of bacterial infection that is going on. Scale Rot generally does not migrate to other reptiles via air born transmission. It can be spread through direct and indirect physical contact though. i.e. - if an infected snake comes into contact with a non-infected snake (or the infected snake's caging supplies), or you handle a healthy snake without properly disinfecting your hands/arms after handling the infected animal.

Infected animals should always be kept separate form the rest of your collection to reduce this kind of contact. If possible they should be in a separate room. You should always handle your quarantined animals after handling your healthy animals.

Comment

i uploaded some photos... i think hopefully they will show
                  Attached Files

Comment

it sounds like scale rot to me and if its where you describe it I think the vet is the only person who can fix it. just my 2 cents.

also when dealing with this it's better to get it taken care of by hardcore anti botics and stuff the vet can give you than a topical. blistering, falling off, abscesses and ulcers are not going to be stopped by topicals.

usually you get some shots and some topical cream to treat it from a vet, but the anti botics are usually what you need.

Comment

so i went to the doctor today he was pretty sure it was a burn that started it but the bacteria is what keeps it going. he said since its still blistering he hopes the medicine he gave me (trimeth/sulfadi) which he has to take orally, will make the skin underneath the blisters become hard. he said if the skin doesnt become hard and becomes raw then i just have to give him a call and he will tell me how to treat it

Comment

keep us updated on how your snake progresses! It's good to hear you have him on something. hopefully it will get better quickly for you.

Comment

Good work getting him/her to the vet, keep us updated also thanks for sharing, I learned something new because of this thread

Comment

so hes been on his meds for four days! and so far there hasnt been any more blistering and it looks ok. though his skin feels rough... maybe hes going to shed?

Comment

Working...
                            X