True RedTail Regurge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Regurgitation] True RedTail Regurge

To get you guys warmed up, here is the noodle that's having trouble. This is Azazael.

He is my little angel, but I'm afraid that he's been having on and off problems since october. Azazael is a true red tail, and he has the regurge complex. Now, he'll take down one meal one week, but regurge the next one. Takes down another two, two weeks in a row but will regurge again the week after. I have written down his precise regurge/feeding schedule. And so far its 3x in 4 months.

To help stablize him I moved him into a ten gallon from a 20 (Maybe it's the stress of the bigger enclosure?), am keeping his humidity consistant at 60, made a humid hide, and will try to feed him again in two weeks. If that doesn't work, it's to the vet. He isn't emaciated or rapidly loosing weight so i can only hope that it's a matter of regulation on my part at this point. He came from a questionable owner, and I consider him a rescue.

Any further advice to aid in his healing process? I heard it's terribly common in BCCs and my Ex Boyfriends Guyana required the same lots of rehabilitation and precise care. So it wouldn't be my first time dealing with this issue successfully. But it seems like Azazael is having a slightly harder time with this.

Re: True RedTail Regurge

How big of meals are you feeding him? Are you sure they arn't to big? Give it time to recover stomach acids after a regurge. I would say atleast 10 days. What are you temps? If they are to cool that could be causing digestion problems.

Comment

look at the careguides on the left side of the home page here it may help. heat is required after a meal to digest. mine got cold after eating cause Id turn off my heat lamp at night without second heat. not knowing and now have the 24 hr heat. size is also a factor. 2 weeks is a good time two wait after regurge. now since Larry Above me says two week feedings is schedule then after regurge skipping a meal would be 4weeks.

Comment

Azazael said to be the real first Angel cast out

You are feeding the True Redtail too often, 10 -14 days between feedings

You can't push Bcc redtails the way you can Colombian type Boas

Plus I believe they should have slightly higher humidity and even possibly a little warmer temp "imo"

Bcc do not do well in glass get a sterilite or Rubbermaid for him

Slow down that feeding schedule and you should see an improvement

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

To add to what has been said: wait a minimum of 4 weeks after this regurg. before feeding again. And then make the next feeding something smaller than what he usually eats. For example if he's eating rat fuzzies step down to rat pinks for and stick with that for a few weeks, then move back to rat fuzzies. But do wait at least 4 weeks before feeding him again - especially since he's a Bcc.

Comment

I will second to wait 4 weeks for feeding. You are pretty lucky actually. I've heard many times a third regurge can be a death sentance!

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
              Azazael said to be the real first Angel cast out
              Its Azazel not AzazeaL
              Azazel was Lucifers standard bearer, God attributed all sin to Azazel, as he was responsible for teaching man to forge weapons from metal and other materials, also for teaching women how to use make up and clothes.

Comment

Well, there are differant ways of spelling Azazel/Azazael...I don't know why i've always added the extra a. XD Awesome to see a forum ACTUALLY understands where his name comes from. My next boas gonna be Leviathan

His temps were at 80-84 at night, 90-93 during the day/95 basking, and i had a uth for when i turned the light off at night. So he had 12 hours of day/12 hours of night. 60% humidity which i bumper up to about 70... My Peruvian was doing/is still doing just fine with these temperatures, but I'm not sure if he has some sort of internal funk going on...

I'm going out to get a sterilite soon...to see if that helps. What do you guys say about the overhead light? Do you think true red tails really need overhead heat?

I was going to wait 14 days to feed him because I don't want him getting tooo skinny...you know? But even if he was do you think a months fast is healthy at this point? Though I think that a month is the way im going to go

Comment

Originally posted by shogun678 View Post
                  How big of meals are you feeding him? Are you sure they arn't to big?.

Well the first few meals i fed him were small mice. He took those down without a problem. Since his first regurge, I bumped him down to hoppers no wider than his body...I'd hate to put him back on pinkys...he seems too big for them.

Comment

Absolutely wait a month or longer before you feed. Then feed a pinkie or really small fuzzy. Do this every 2 to 3 weeks for a few feedings then move to rat pups. Still only feed every 2 to 3 weeks for atleast 3 more feedings. If there are no more regurges during this time you can feed apropriately sized meals no more than every 10 to 14 days. Preferebly 14. You should never feed a bcc more often than that in my opinion. I promise he won't starve.

Comment

Originally posted by SerpenteDance View Post
                      Well, there are differant ways of spelling Azazel/Azazael...I don't know why i've always added the extra a. XD Awesome to see a forum ACTUALLY understands where his name comes from. My next boas gonna be Leviathan

His temps were at 80-84 at night, 90-93 during the day/95 basking, and i had a uth for when i turned the light off at night. So he had 12 hours of day/12 hours of night. 60% humidity which i bumper up to about 70... My Peruvian was doing/is still doing just fine with these temperatures, but I'm not sure if he has some sort of internal funk going on...

I'm going out to get a sterilite soon...to see if that helps. What do you guys say about the overhead light? Do you think true red tails really need overhead heat?

I was going to wait 14 days to feed him because I don't want him getting tooo skinny...you know? But even if he was do you think a months fast is healthy at this point? Though I think that a month is the way im going to go
                      I would wait the month.... it will take a while for the boa to get rehydrated... just be patient... give it plenty of water.... don't handle it... up the humidity...is this an imported snake?? You could have a parasite... cryptosporidium has been known to cause regurge ..... I totally agree with boa amarali on the feeding schedule.... go down to every 14 days... and give small prey items

Comment

He's from a reptile breeder in Cali...so he isn't imported. I think I'm going to start by feeding him a pinky mouse in about 3 weeks (it's already been about 1), then feed him every 10 days-2 weeks. Maybe the first two meals pinky mice, then the next two hoppers? Go from there?

Again, about the overhead heaters...He has a heating pad and some moss on top of where the heating pad is...so the humidity is eminating nicely and consistantly. but is it more necessary in BCCs than in BCIs to have an overhead heater?

Comment

As long as your temps are good you don't need lighting for snakes. I have always only used uth for my snakes. Some think lighting plays a role when it comes time to breed.

Comment

Originally posted by SerpenteDance View Post
                            Remember, these animals are lucky to eat 8-10 times a year in the wild. A months fast is nothing to them. He'll be alright as long as he is at a healthy weight now.

-Sean in NoCal
                            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I'm feeding my BCC every three weeks, and have done since i got her in September. So far, all has been good, and she's kept every meal down. She's growing consistently, although obviously not at the same rate as my BCI's. I also feed her smaller food items than i do for my BCI's of similar size. BCC's are just not as resilient as BCI's. You can't be as complacent with the size of the food items you feed them. They're best slow grown.

As has been said, since regurge, leave him 4 weeks, and then offer a smaller than normal sized food item. And stick to a slow feeding routine of every 2-3 weeks. You'll do far better this way.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X