Upside down Boa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Upside down Boa

Yesterday I picked up my 08' female boas hide to do my regular cage maintinence and found her completely belly up in a coil. I picked her up and she was actining normaly. Upon inspection she looked normal and healthy, I was just wondering if anyone else has witnessed this behavior. Or if it could be an indicator of some kind of health problem.nThanks for any info!

Re: Upside down Boa

If you place the boa on its back it should upright it self or if its doing weird bends and bending backwards and things that that you might have an issue it could be something nerological or it could be IDB i would say be safe and take a trip to your local reptile vet

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
      If you place the boa on its back it should upright it self or if its doing weird bends and bending backwards and things that that you might have an issue it could be something nerological or it could be IDB i would say be safe and take a trip to your local reptile vet
      I agree with Mike; if it were me I would go to the vet.

Comment

Is it "star gazing" also? If you do pick it up and put it on its back can it correct itself?

Comment

My boas have done this on occasion. My ball python does it during breeding season.

Comment

Originally posted by bterrill View Post
            Is it "star gazing" also? If you do pick it up and put it on its back can it correct itself?
            I haven't noticed any "star gazing", and she did correct herself. Although my amarali is showing symptoms of IBD I definately saw him star gaze and he hasn't had a shed for a long time. His skin looks like it needs to shed but he just won't. He is right next to the female in my rack system. I had an outbreak of mights about 6 months ago. I beging to worry they both may have been exposed to IBD Unfortunatley I didn't know about IBD before today, I'm going to take both of them to the vet asap

Comment

I took them to the vet today, he said I just need to provide the Amarali with constant access to a humid hide box and he should be fine. He already looks much better after the doc gently peeled off all the stuck dry skin As far as my hypo female, he put her on her back and she immediately righted herself. So as of now she looks perfectly healthy. Although he did mention the possibility of IBD but he recommended I just keep an eye on her due to the inconsistency of the test, although there isn't anything that could be done for her other than euthanasia if she did end up having IBD . I will just keep my hopes up and be very diligent about cleaning and disinfecting their enclosures.

Comment

Working...
              X