X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakewife
    replied
    Re: Something to add to water??

Mineral Oil or sometimes called Mineral spirits. I had a tiny one that was a year old and had never shed. (Severe neglect) I kept the humid. way up for about 2+weeks, and after while, he did shed and it was very thick, like 3 layers thick, but part of the head and under mouth didn't shed. It caused his mouth to not close right and he was very uncomfortable. I tried the Mineral oil, baths, everything. finally at this last shed, I just kept soaking him in water and literally took it off scale by scale. It took a lot of patience, (by me and the snake), but it worked.
    Good Luck
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Tracey,

I tried two other local places, no luck. Gotta do something for this guy.. Gonna feed him today like someone suggested and see what happens.. If he doesn't shed soon, I will try some mineral oil on him.. Biggest problem I can see with feeding him is if it doesn't work, not much I can do for atleast 30 hours.. Gotta let the meal settle..

Steve

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Red,

Yeah I did give him a break from the bag over night.. He is not doing well with shedding. Very frustrating. Not giving up yet..

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Barracuda_41
    replied

:-/Wow thats a bummer Steve, i have been using this Natures Reptile vita spray, for awhile and i like it alot.. I spray it full strength on all my snakes 3 times a month, also on Delilah i have been spraying it on her 2 times while in the blue and then 1 time after she clears up and then a nice long soak few days after she clears and no probs shedding for her.. It puts a nice gloss on them and then soaks in to the skin and then there skin stays soft for sometime..No bad side affects on my snakes. I even use it on my plated lizard.. For super bad rescue sheds or dry flaky skin on lizards i use it mixed with a tiny amount of virgin olive oil.

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

Ya steve make sure you leave the boa out of the bag for at least 12 hours inbeetween each bagging... lol
    Other wise you may have belly rot happen... Not likly but you never know... exspecily if it is in a sunken state...
    Eric aka....Red

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Tracey,

I looked for that stuff after I read you message.. no luck. I swear these stores have nothing up here.. But they do have Provent a mite by the case..LOL.. I even seen they had the reptile relief stuff for 6 bucks a bottle... Hope I never need that stuff again...

Steve

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Fonzy,

He is due to eat. Been holding off.. I did try Reds bad idea, and it has helped alittle. So I re wet the wash cloth and back in the bag he went. I am worried about scale rot, but each time I check him I look at his belly real close, so hopefully i won't have to deal with that next.. If he is not making progress by tonight, may try that.. Was thinking of trying that earlier, but I didn't want to fill his belly, only to start shedding him manually..LOL Could get real messy...

Thanks
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Barracuda_41
    replied

8)Hey Steve i have put together a mix that helped with a rescue and bad skin and sheds befour and it worked good for me you can give it a try if you want.. I used Natures Reptile vita spray,-by four paws. and mixed it with a tiny amount of virgin olive oil, you have to shake it up realy good every few secs as your spraying it on as the oil will seperate from the vita spray.. but not only did it work but helped the skin as well... Make sure you soak skin well and let it stay on there, do this twice a day..

Leave a comment:

• Fonzy
    replied

In the event that you find your snake hasn't shed by the morning, I have one small suggestion that happened to work for a friend of mine. He had almost the same exact problem, and was unsuccessful at every attempt to help his snake shed. Finally he decided to feed his snake since it was that time anyway. As luck would have it, just because the snake had to move his head and open his mouth so much, it "cracked" the rest of the hard shed and it basically fell off within 10 minutes or so.

I don't know if you're rescue is ready to eat or not, and I don't even know if it will work for you, but I thought you might try it as a last resort! Good luck!

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

OK,

And update.. He shed about another inch. The skin is so hard, its unreal. I think maybe the Red and Slithers suggestion worked a little. So I just put this guy in a shipping bag with a wet wash cloth, not dripping wet, but wet. He will remain in there over night and we will see what happens. If he sehds great, if not, he will get a soak after the bag and I will be having a very long day with a not so happy snake removing some shed.. Keep your fingers crossed and lets hope I get a shed suprise in the morning..

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

It take like 18-20 hours... Some times more then once... I did it for a very simaler situation... what I did was put the snake in take it out 20 hours later
    then put the snake in 24 hours later and did that three times and the third time she came out with no skin on her... It was just about he best feeling in the world...
    ERic aka...Red

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi
    Yeah Mineral oil is what I kept thinking. I haven't tryed that yet, maybe because I still didn't pick any up..
    This whole thing is getting more frustrating then I would have ever imaged. Like I said even with some rescues that had a shed problem, it wasn't as hard as this skin. It started to peal the other day, only on top of his head. It pealed from the nose to just behind the eyes. I was able to work that chunk off and started to work the the bottom of the head off, but he was really figting and I didn't want to hurt him. I will have to do something soon, maybe even work it all off somehow. Leaving old shed of the body could restrict blood flow and kill the snake if its around his neck. I know I have had a few resuces that had to have the tail amputated because of retained shed restricting blood flow and killing the tissue. So that is why i am going nuts. I did go to the pet shop and they didn't have sehd aid or anything like it, and the soonest they could get it would be Friday.. I will keep trying...
    Thanks for the suggestions guys
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Red,

I tried the towle in the bag trick. So far no luck. I put him in the bag for about 3 hours. No luck yet.. But thanks for the suggestion, anything is worth trying.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• XzyluM
    replied

You wouldn't happen to be thinking about mineral oil would you? If so, from what I've heard, it can also cause dehydration, mostly in larger boids. Some ball pythons are notorious for having poor sheds even with the humidity is or above adequate. I have had a previous experience with a bad shed which sort of resembles what you are having. It will be frustrating and take some time, but it should eventually loosen up and come off. Just make sure you get the retained skin from around the tail if any and then work from there.

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

Well better yet to putting a towl in the cage put one in a snake bag with the snake and see what happens.. This what I do to help my snakes shed... well not any more they all shed good
    Eric aka...Red

Leave a comment:

Working...
X