• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sclark
    replied
    Re: Something to add to water??

Hey Red,

Yeah it is not fun at all. For the person picking or the snake. He is doing great now, took his first rat pup today. So officially I have no snakes eating mice, yet I have about 200 live mice in the basement. Hope the pet store orders alot this week..LOL

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

ya when I had to do that with a snake It was so hard... Just had to pick and pick and pick... I didn't think it would ever end... But I fed that snake to make sure it had enuf energy to shed the next time... Glad to here it is perty much all over.... Have a good one...
    Eric aka...Red

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hey all,

First I wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions.. After tonights longest and most stressful time into this no shed issue, I helped this little guy complete his shed. Well there is about an inch left on the end of his tail, but I will work that tomorrow. This little guy has been through so much. Me slowly picking scale by scale and he never once bit at me. I have to tell you, its these experiences with a snake that tests my paientes and make me realize just how much I love these cold blooded friends. I kept tell the snake as I was picking at him if he needs to bite me I understand, but nothing but some squirming off and on. I fully believe that he will give normal sheds from now on.

I should also say I never suggest that anyone help peel shed skin from a snake. I really felt I had to because nothing was working and a little snake if he doesn't shed can constrict blood flow and things like losing its tail can be a the most minor problem. I have dealt with snakes that have had problems for years, and its always stressful, but always worth it when they pull through and problems solved..

Thanks again all..
    Best Regards
    Steve Clark

Leave a comment:

• Fonzy
    replied

Hang in there Steve, you know it will be worth it!!

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hey Red

This main problem is getting shed aid local. It takes over a week to get. Think we are making progress, read above. I am hoping he will be shed soon..

Not giving up though..
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Jeff,

I wish I did have more patience. This is one tough shed. I would give up if this guy would stop being so nice to all the abuse he is going through from me trying to help him. Good news is I was able to get 1/3 of his body shed from the head back. With all the soaking, misting etc the skin was a little softer, but it took very, very slow peeling back. Odd thing is this skin doesn't even look like it ever disconnested like normal. I did a retreval for fecal matter and was able to do a smear on this guy. His protazoa count is high, not sure if that could be adding to the shed problem. Never heard of that. Although he has gained 4 grams since last week. So that good..

I'll keep you posted..
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

You know one time I mixed up some shed aid and soaked the rag in it and then put it in the bag and that worked perty good... You might want to try that.... Just a thought...
    I figure the 48 hours will be up soon if not all ready..
    Eric aka...Red

Leave a comment:

• Fonzy
    replied

Steve,

Have you had any luck yet? I admire your patience and diligence on this matter. I appreciate all the people that go through all the trouble, no matter how much or how long, to make sure these guys get the proper care. I only wish there was some way for me to lend you a hand. Well, good luck my friend, keep us posted on the progress. This will definitely be one to remember for any future "impossible sheds!" Take care!

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hey red,

He did eat today, but no luck splitting the shed. I am not giving up of this guy just yet. I have a good sander in the shed, bet that would work.. JK'ing..

Next thing will be in 2 days after he digests his dinner is a good warm soak, see if it gets loose. if it does I am going to assist shed. If not he is gonna get a rub down from the neck to tail with Virgin Olive oil...

Back to the drawing board..
    Thanks
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

NP Lisa,

I appreciate the suggestion.. Super glue on the fingers. I think i did that once or twice..LOL

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

Ya I use that stuff all the time... It say's on the bottle if you spred it out on a large serface it can be explosive... It is not kidding.. One of the poeple at work used it to clean a floor... well lets just say it took me a week to get the burn marks the floor... lol
    I bet it would take that skin right off steve...lol
    Well good luck... If that thing is real hungry it may not be able to do it for lack of energy.... Just a thought... May be there is somthing you can add to a rodent for a energy boost or somthing.. I have herd of things like this but can't remember what it was or where I red it..... Good luck steve...
    Eric aka....Red

Leave a comment:

• Snakewife
    replied

Can you believe I have raised children, and they are still alive!!! lol
    Shoulda known that when the daughter superglued her fingers together. cwm2.gif Instead I couldn't do anything cause I was laughin' so hard I couldn't stand up. infact I still laugh when I think about it.

Good thing the snakes get better attention!! LOL
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Snakewife
    replied

You could be right, my grandma always interchanged the two.
    So to anyone who reads this,

If it has a smell, DON'T USE IT!!!

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Lisa,

I was right, Mineral spirits is used to thin out paint.

http://www.****blick.com/zz010/13/pr....asp?ig_id=294

Wouldn't be a good idea on anything alive. I used to confuse the two...

Steve

Leave a comment:

• sclark
    replied

Hi Lisa,

Yeah I went to pick up mineral oil today. Gonna try it in a day or two.. He just ate today.. Now you mentioned Mineral spirits, I may be wrong, but isn't mineral spirits paint remover. Just something that came back to me from being a kid and working maintence.. Could be wrong, but better safe then sorry. Would hate for someone deperate to read the forums and go get something like paint thinner..LOL

Thanks alot for the suggestion, and you are not kidding about paients. I deal with rescues on a weekly basis, and never have I had this problem..

Thanks
    Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X