This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my red tails skin is odd

My red tail that I got a while back has been eating good now, her temps in the cage and the humidity levels are appropriate, (ambient temp about 85 degrees, and humidity around 60), and there is an amlpe amount of water for her, but her skin is still reall rough and nasty, and when she moves around in her cage, it sounds really nasty when she moves, as if someone is taking and ripping velcro apart. (This is from when her scales are rubbing together.) Is there anything that I can put on her skin to make it get better? Like some type of snake lotion?

Re: my red tails skin is odd

If the humidty level is correct and your snake has water then all should be fine.
    How are you measuring your humidity? Those stick-on paper type gauges are not accuracte and could explan any dryness.
    Has your snake recently gone through it's "blue phase"?

Comment

Sounds like a possible shed. Is the skin dull and or wrinkly? If so, then your snake is more than likely going into shed. The husbandry seems right.

Comment

Since I am not sure if your snake is shedding or not, I'm going to give you some tips that will help if so. You could soak in luke warm water to help with the shed and increasing the humidity a little is not a bad idea either.

Comment

I have one of those digital humidity/temp gauges that Red told me to get. She has pleanty of water, and I try to get her a soaking in atleast once a week, if not more often. It's skin is actually pretty bright and clear for like the last two feet of her. It's also soft and smooth. The rest is not really dull, but it just feels so nasty! She has a lot of scarring from the place that I got her from, because they didn't keep her in good conditions, and she has bite marks all over her.... Could the roughness and irregularity of the scales just be like more scar tissue from the way that she was kept before? If so, how can I make it go away? I'll up the humidity a little when I get home (I'm at school right now). I hope that that will help. If it dosn't, then is there anything that I can do for it? Also, another thought.... She hadn't eaten for over six months before I got her. Could the roughness of the skin be from malnutrition? She's eaten six full sized rats since I got her, but she still only weighs about 15-20 lbs, and she is over 8 feet long.... I took her to the vet, and he said that she just needs some TLC, but he'd never seen one that had so much scar tissue or such rough scales. (They had it in a cage with a larger snake, and they fed them both live rats at the same time and didn't seperate them. So the scars are from both snake and rat.) None of them are open or anything. It just looks like that it would hurt her to move if her skin is like that.

Comment

Depending on the severity and age of the injuries some of the "scarring" may get better with a few sheds, but chances are it is there to stay.

Comment

Hey sorry I have not posted here... been getting ready for a blue buety and a crested gecko to come in...
              Well this is what it is... I will almost bet... the snake had bad humidity and no stranth, and then shed the last half of the body... Now what I would do is put it in a snake bag and then put in a nice wash cloth that has been wet down and then wrung out.. Since this is a 8'er then I would put in a bath towl.... Leave the snake in for all day long...(12-18 hours) then take it out and let it set in it's cage and reapeat intell it ether comes off or she go's into a shed again... which could be quit a while... from what I understand 8'er's don't shed but twice a year... If you are lucky it will happen soon... Now when you do this do it three times then give her like a week.. you want to provent scale rot... since the head of this one is still on... I would try to wait intell she enisheates the shed to start to help... I think if you do this this way you will very lil' problem when it comes to her shedding next time...
              And She pobley did not shed well because of the fact that she lost so much wait... My girl friend almost killed her boa by trying to keep it small... finly it was so week and the skin was to big to shed off... she had no muscle tone to streach it out and pull it off... I did just what I told you to do on top of feeding a recovery diet... and the next shed was almost perfect... it was not rolled up but all in one piece... and well it was darn close to two of them... the last four inches wore off during the shed time...
              If you give your snake enuf food it may go into a early shed since it probley was just to week last time.... Don't over feed though...
              Eric aka...Red
              Just ask if you need to know more....

Comment

Red, i did what you said and after about five times of doing it, she started to gt that skin off.. It worked really well! Thank you for the tip... She's finished shedding mos of it now, except for a little bit on her underbelly, (It'll probably come off on its own accord.) Red, your a lifesaver! She didnt like the bag too much at first, though... he he.... sh wanted OUT! lol... but once she got calmed down, she was great It looks like most of the gross scales came off, and shes looking a lot better. Thanks

Comment

Kinda funny with this trick the more that hate the bag and move around the better the trick works... hehe...
                  Well I am happy to here that... the belly scales are real easy to peel off if you want to try... other wise try to keep it from soaking to much don't want a case of belly rot...
                  Well good luck...
                  Eric aka...Red

Comment

I got everything peeled off and she is fine now. I guess that I just worry too much Thanks agtain fr all your help you guys! Your the bomb!

Comment

Working...
                    X