This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice...........Please

I am a bit worried about my columbian red tail boa...This is our first Boa so we are still learning about her. Our problem is that when she eats she regurgitates (sp). It doesn't happen to her everytime, but it seems to becoming more common. And I have noticed that when she poops it kinda looks like bird poop but a bit bigger. I hope that you can help . I am scared that my baby is sick. thank you. ???

Re: I need some advice...........Please

a vet visit is probably in order. regurgitation can occur for a variety of reasons, internal parasites, incorrect temps etc... your best bet is to take your snake to a qualified reptile vet and have them do a thorough physical on your snake.

Comment

Hi Jengleman,

I agree with Damian I would try to get your snake to a good snake Dr. One thing I would like to add, make sure until you can get the snake to the Dr you keep the tank temp warm. Make sure one side is about 90 degree's. Heat heals. Also make sure you are not feeding for atleast 48 hours after a regurg. Regurg wears a snake down alot.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
      Steve Clark

Comment

Check you temperature and humidity levels. (86-88 hot side and 50-60% humidity.)

Make sure you are feeding the proper sized prey item: equal in diameter to the largest part of the snake.

Make sure that the prey item is completely thawed. If the head or internals of the mouse is still frozen it could cause a regurg.

Do not handle the snake for at least 48 hours after feeding.

Wait at least 10 to 14 days before offering food after a regurg. and make sure that the snake is not dewhydrated. If the skin shows signs of dehydration give the snake a good soak in a 50/50 mix of water and the clear pedialyte.

Last but not least, a vet visit will not hurt the snake at all and it could give you peace of mind.

Comment

Hey stormyva,

Not questioning your info, just wondering why you said wait atleast 10-14 days after a regurg to feed again. I have had several snakes regurg and never had a problem with a 48 hour wait to let the body settle back down. If a snake is doing the regurg thing for any amount of time, we have always reduced the size of the meal so it could get some nutrition without getting weaker. If I find out that the snake regurged from a protozoan problem we normally do the meds for 4 days and on the 5th, put the meds in the prey item. We have had great luck so far with that. I must keep my boas abit warmer then the temps you mentioned. My snakes warm side is always about 90. I do fully agree with you on making sure the item is thawed fully and the size of the item. I keep over looking that alot of people feed FT. I do fresh killed myslef so I forget to mention about thawing. The cold belly of a mouse could for sure cause a regurg..

Best Regards
          Steve

Comment

It is becaus when they vomit they spit up the digestive juices and they take like 10 days to get back to normal levels... I am not stormy but that is why.... So basicly even if your snake does not toss up the next item you give them a rat it will take like twice as long for the snake to digest that meal and this can cause intestnal tracked problems....
            I hope this helps... steve...
            Eric aka....Red

Comment

Hi Red,

That is what I was thinking was his reason, but based on the two vet books I have here, the ones say's that the snake takes 36 hours to rebuild the stomach acid for proper digestion. Now this book is a few years old, if there is better info out there I would for sure want to know. Want to give these guys the best treatment possible.

Thanks
              Steve

Comment

How old are those books... Not to say they are wrong... But A human is 38 hours.. I am not sure but logic tells me that a snake would be alot longer to rebuild it then a human.. But you know how logic is... lol
                I guess this is somthing I need to check in on... I think lori is the one that told me that bit of info but I am not sure... May -be it is adult and babeis... You know 36 for babys and 10 days for adults... This is kinda cool I have somthing to read about again... hehe
                Eric aka....Red

Comment

Hi Red,

The book is from 1997. I hope its not out dated..LOL
                  I know this info was based on a temp of 90 degree's with humidity of atleast 60%.. Please update me if you find more current info from a good source. I personally am an info junkie, so if you find a solid read, let me know..
                  Steve

Comment

Ahh a fellow info junki... lol
                    Well I have been look'in but can't really find anything yet...
                    Eric aka....Red

Comment

Hey Red
                      Yeah always looking for info. I have over 2000 books on every subject that interests me.. If your gonna be a junkie, might as well be info..))

Hey I was just thinking. If the 10-14 day rule was valid, why do the suggest that babies be feed every 4-5 days, and why would they suggest that a sick snake that is under weight be feed atleast every 7 days, and if you are getting ready to breed a female you should be offering her more meals then normal. Just some food for thought. Like I said I could be wrong but not sure..
                      Thoughts?
                      Steve

Comment

Well from what I under stand your stomach is kinda the starting grounds of digestion... But what I am getting at is that you stomach filters out the digestive inzyme in your stomach... Then the iteam gos on for absorbtion in the intestins... If you body let that stuff loose to often you would have a snake with a hole somwhere it should not be... lol
                        I also got to say I may be wrong but I do belive that once it is up and going kinda don't have to worry... It does not really take any of the fluid to break it down, You just have to have enuf of it to work... If you don't have enuf the iteam will sit around decaying inside what ever it is in... You know how you cut a appel open and set it on the counter and about two hours later you would never even think to eat it... kinda the same inside you... Things can and do decay in side people/snakes... That is never good... Does that make since...
                        Eric aka...Red

Comment

Working...
                        X