dots moving up and down her scales...didn't see ANYTHING
    when I first got her. She was captive born/bred. Is it still
    normal to get a snake from a breeder & the snake arrive
    w/mites? Or, it there a possibility that because I'm using
    a natural substrate (suppose to be bug free) and cork bark
    that there might have been some parasites living within them
    prior to be introducing my new snake?

Yesterday wasn't able to find ANYTHING at a local pet store chain
    that would rid my snake of these little pests.

WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY OF GETTING RID OF THESE
    LITTLE SUCKERS? cwm23.gif Thanks in advance guys.

Re: HELP MITES!!!

well, a lot of people on the site use a few different things to eradicate mites. personally i use provent a mite and have so for a long time now. it is very effective and if used as directed is very safe.

Comment

Where can I buy this? GUYS WHERE ARE YOU... I need your help. :'( No love for Todd. lol Please bare with...I know this topic has probably been addressed a 1000 times on this board. Any suggestions are appreciated...and location of product suggested. Thanks!

Comment

Todd,

Here is my answer as posted in the Instant Solutions Section.. I only use Provent-a-mite. I know there are a hundred other applications and remedies that people use, but this is the ONLY product FDA approved for use with snakes/reptiles....

http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1008734003
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Thanks Clay! :

Comment

Just ordered a can from the Pro Product website. Clay, or anybody else...would you recommended throwing out old substrate/cork bark in her tank and starting fresh? Completely clean everything out than using the Prevent a Mite? It says on the site to just spray everything... substrate, tank exct...doesn't mention anything about getting rid of infested substrate, shelter. Thoughts?

Comment

The beauty of the provent-a-mite product is that you treat the substrate directly. So if the substrate is fairly new, then leave it in and treat it directly.

***PROVENT-A-MITE is NOT designed to be sprayed DIRECTLY ON your reptiles.*** Always remove the snake before treatment.

I follow these steps for preventative maintenance but it works the same way to eradicate mites.

1) Remove the snake to another location, this should be a place the snake can remain for about an hour.

2) Remove any and all water dishes from the enclosure. Never spray anything in or around a water supply (this is a good time to clean them with a bleach/water solution before returning them to the cage).

3) Using the provent a mite, spray the walls, corners and substrate. Using a disposable cloth, spray the provent-a-mite directly on the cloth and use it to wipe down the door and entrances to the enclosure. Use it just like you are dusting furniture.

4) Close the door or top, and allow this enclosure to remain closed for several minutes (15 or so)..

5) Open or vent the enclosure for 30 minutes to allow air flow. (The provent-a-mite product will just be a powder form now, so you are just venting any propellants that still may be there.

6) Return the snake to the enclosure. As in any treatment of any kind using chemicals, Watch the snake carefully for the next few hours... Any noticible trouble then remove the snake immediately.
              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Bare in mind, that any new substrate should be treated for pests, especially if it's bought from a pet store. There's a relatively new and cheap product out called Reptile Relief, I do not sure this myself, but I know several who do and would all recommend it. From what I hear, you can spray directly on the snake with no ill effects.

Comment

Excellent. ;D As usual, you guys are a tremendous help. Thanks...oh...sorry I posted this originally in the wrong room. :-/

Comment

Working...
                  X