This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay, Lori anyone.. I need help feeding newborns

Ok here's the story of my 15 babies born 03/13/03,  nine have eaten and many times 6 have not eaten yet I have tried splitting heads of the pinkies and yes even live ones they are in individuals totes heat and humidity is fine they are active, act interested but just won't eat.  I am getting very concerned and I'm wondering whether to try force feeding (I have never done this).  They are so much smaller then there siblings.  Suggestions please.  Thanks here's one that was sold yesterday.

Re: Clay, Lori anyone.. I need help feeding newbor

I know that you can just open the snakes mouth and set the head of the pinky in and they will take it most of the time.... That is about all I can say.
    Eric.. aka...Red

Comment

ohh wee hes awesome loving that tail i cant help with the feeding part but i hope they eat for you soon

Comment

:-/Have you tried not F/T but a fresh killed prey item with its nose cut open..???? By the way beautiful babie!!!

Comment

I haven't tried the nose thing, I guess I'll give that a try next.

Comment

Sorry about your babies not feeding. See if Clay, Lori or anyone agree with me on this, but I wouldn't force feed just yet.. May start a cycle with feeding problems for this new guy. I read alot suggesting nose splits, but never had any luck with that myself. This is what I would do, I have had some great luck with it, but trust me it is no fun doing this. I will get a seperate container (for that size, A small plastic shoe box) warm it up good to about 90, give a spray or water to up the humidity. Put the baby in it and cover it up. While he is adjusting to the new temp and moisture get yourself a pinky (you said he was small, so you may want to get a mouse pinky). Put the pinky in a plastic bad and smack its head area against something hard, just aim and swing. When the pinky is not moving any more, take an exacto knife out and slice the top of its head open, expose the brain. Then take a tooth pick and smear the grey matter around on its head. Put the in front of the snake and move it a little and slow with tweasers. You may get a nice suprise he may womp it. If he doesn't with in a few mins, just leave it there and close it up and cover the container with a towel. I would suggest you try the feeding about 9pm. Give the baby about 30-45 mins in the dark feed container and see if he ate. If not, one last suggestion. Take the baby out in your hands. Take a non-sharp bic pen top and open his mouth. Then take the pinky and place its head only in his mouth. I have had great luck with both these methods with hard starters..

Good luck. If you have any other questions about what i wrote, just drop me an email..
            Best regards
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X