This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boa who thinks he's a cobra?????

o.k. this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. That baby boa I have posted about that was starved-Bob, well, he has yet another odd behavior. ???
    He continuously holds his head straight up in the air (which I am contributing to the lack of muscle development from starvation, and have accepted a long term problem) and frequently does this "Stevie wonder" thing, swirling his head alot kinda like a figure 8, but I also noticed that he fills his neck up with a big air bubble. it starts at the mid to back jaw and goes about 1-1/5 inches down his neck. It's on the bottom side, and only happens when he has atleast 5-6 inches of his body going straight up, and his neck is arched back. he doesn't seem to be swallowing the air at all, its just bizarre! s7.gif
    he is eating well, and temp/humid are fine.
    Has anyone ever heard of this type of behavior??

Lisa s7.gif

Re: Boa who thinks he's a cobra?????

sounds like a case of RI.... Here is a link to what to do with your boa... Oh ya you should also see a vet...
    This sounds like a prolonged case.... These need some anti-biotics that your vet will give you...
    http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1047136728
    read up...
    Eric aka....Red

Comment

My snake has a Bubble on its neck from an RI. I have not seen mine star gazing though. Is your snakes breathing weezy or poping?

Comment

this is a yearling, who was rescued from a pet store last month. he had eaten only two fuzzies since last march, yes March 2002 when I first got him, he would just lift his head straight up in the air until he fell over backwards from weakness. at that point he could not wrap, and could barely slither. We went to the vet, who really didn't give a lot of hope of survival at the time. he did inject antibiotics (don't know what kind) and fluids. After that, I got some guidance and a tube feeding recipe from Lori (my new hero) and he has been progressing since, he is now on fuzzies and has shed, and is doing great. but this head thing is something that has never went away, now, he has a lot more control over it than he use to and he only gazes when he is being held, or is out of his house. and by this I mean, he may lift the entire first third of his body, or he may just lift his head only (that looks really bizarre!) And he seems to be slowly improving. but I had probably saw the air bubble thing before, but there were so many more major issues that it didn't really register as something to take note of.
        I am not at this point even considering IBD because, it that were the case it would have killed him when he was so weak. he is still very little (he could slip through my size7ring.) and he is about 22 inches long.
        he doesn't make any kind of sounds
        gotta go
        Lisa

Comment

I am going to try to attach a picture of him, this is how he usually poises his body when he is out of his house.

Comment

awe poor lil guy hes a fighter to have come so far. he looks so sweet in that pic i bet hes loveable and glad to have a better home with you

Comment

He difinately has a will to live. He is cute, my husband swears he stares up at me when he's near, because he thinks I'm his mom! : but he still seems so tiny. infact, he is smaller around than my pythons were when I got them as hatchlings, but he's much longer-but he's-a growin'! ;D
              Lisa

Comment

8) Aawww thats a cute little guy, I have had this prob with my one little orange female BP that had RI when she came in and had few shots of Baytril and shes better now no RI anymore but she has wobblie head and looks up alot like she has star gazers, she eats well and is growing fine.. I think the baytril did some damage to her, but as time goes by she gets alittle better.. and she only sticks her head up once in awhile.. hope your little guy gets better...

Comment

Working...
                X