This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shed help?

My friend was watching a snake for another friend and i noticed the setup was horrible, bad temp and humidity lvl, so i took it to my house and got the environment set up right. It was shedding in pieces and not all of it was coming off so i did some of the things recomended on your site and still it was not all coming off. Now it is getting clowdy eyed and looks as if its starting the shedding process from the begining with some of the last shedd(not just little pieces of unshed skin some areas are quite large pieces of unshed skin) still on it. Is it normal for the snake to start shedding fairly soon anfter a bad shed?
    And what should i do to make this shed come off better than the last.

Temp in tank is between 86 and 90 during day, 82 and 86 night, and humidity is between 50-65% at all times. If you need any other info just post here i will be checking forums frequently.

Re: shed help?

Try increasing the humidity. I usually try to increase mine above 65% as soon as they go into blue (the eyes start clouding over). Don't forget to have a warm side and a cooler side. They need to regulate their body temps. As far as shedding again, he may not have had a very good shed some time ago and you are just now getting it off, now it is actually time to shed again. Keep an eye on him and make sure he gets those eyecaps off.

Comment

any recomendations on boosting the humidity a litlle bit? i have a water bowl under the lamp, damp moss, and towels covering a large portion of the screen top, and i mist the snake and hide box quite a few times a day.

Comment

I don't know, from the sounds of it, you're pretty much doing what I would reccomend. Are you sure your humidity guage is correct. When I do that, the humidity is up around 70-75%. Try using a black garbage bag instead of a towel. Just leave a gap on one of the ends or in the middle for air flow. The towel may be soaking up the humidity.

Comment

Thanks for your help. The garbage bag works great keeps the humidity higher and longer. =)

Comment

Yeah, I found that one out the hard way too. I've found it also keeps the heat in better also.

Comment

Also.. With the snake going into another shed so soon.. there is usually a reason for such. Check the snake closely for mites. That can throw a snake into multiple sheds if the snake has them.

Comment

The snake shed yesterday one piece eycaps and all. =)

Comment

The trash bag works good , but if you really need to boost the humidity try putting a damp towel under the trash bag . that will really put it up there. I just use damp towels on top of a 55 g for our rainbow boas. It works great
                  Good luck
                  Later
                  Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X