This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird skin prob...Lori???

Okay, I have a male hog island who is acting in much the same way that evil_karot described. He seems to have a lack of control of his muscles, but it's not quite like IBD (I've seen this before). I talked with Lori about this over Yahoo, and we concluded that he's acting this way due to exposure to pesticides. My landlord had an exterminator help himself into everyone's kitchen and spray the kitchens for pests. I had been sleeping, so I never heard him come in. My male hog was in the kitchen while he sprayed the kitchen.

Anyway, besides the point...I've started soaking him, and a few clear scales came off on me. As I scrubbed his cage with bleach and anti-bacterial soap, I noticed a LOT more of these clear scales that were laying around individually. Before you jump to the conclusion that it's a bad shed, he had just shed a couple weeks ago, and it was a perfect shed, head to tail. He's 3-4 years old, so he shouldn't be shedding this often either. Humidity is not a problem at all, and he is in a Boaphile to boot, which holds humidity really well. He doesn't have mites or ticks, either, he's already protected against them. :P

As I was soaking him tonite, a few clear scales fell off on me, but not as many as this afternoon. As I started to dry him, I noticed a small spot (approx 2 by 3 scales big) where there were no scales at all. I could see his skin underneath. There was another spot of about the same size where the normal-colored scales were hanging loosely. These are the only spots I could find on his body. I towel-dried him, and these scales fell off. I went ahead and treated those two spots with neosporin to hopefully prevent a possible infection.

Any idea what the heck is going on with him? ???

Bry

Re: Weird skin prob...Lori???

This problem occasionaly pops up among both my boas and pythons, the glossy layer come's away and lea ???ves a rather dull rough scale, it seems to have no ill effects and usually cures itself at the next shed, I dont know why, and no one else seems to either, I have asked on here before and other forums, I believe Red had this problem a while back too, correct me if im wrong Red?

Comment

Most snakes I have seen or heard of doing this have stopped at some point AND they go back to normal basically after a couple of sheds.
      Someone needs to research and see oif they can find any extensive research / info on the chemicals like vapona etc and their affects on snakes......

Comment

Yes, if anybody finds this information, it would be greatly helpfull. We need to get the word out, so that others can learn from our experience. Hopefully others won't have to go through the hurt, fear and confusion we had to go through and the pain our snakes had to go through. We need to get this word out!!!!!!!! So any information would be helpfull. Heck, maybe we can all get print outs of it and post is at EVERY petstore and place that sells supplys for reptiles and make sure people know the risks!!!! > :-/ :-X

Comment

Working...
        X