This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mites

I may sound like an idiot, I don't mean to if I do. But what does a mite look like. I looked at lori's pix of the mites on her hands and all they looked like was little black dots. I'm sure they look quite different in real life. The reason I ask is because I think one of my cages might have mites. I have already started the killing process. No place in my area has prevent-o-mite and I couldn't find the sawyers stuff. But I talked to a Snake Breeder in my area who recommended using "No pest strips". What he said to do was to put a strip about 1" x 2" in an perforated butter container. Making sure to secure the lid so that it won't come off. Then take the water out of the cage completely so that they don't ingest was may have settled in the water,(from the fumes on the strip I'm assuming) for three days. Then remove the container and put the water back in for 2 days, then remove the water and put the container back in for 3 days and keep repeating this until all mites are gone. He said that it would be safe to leave the snakes in the tank for this process. He has had very good results doing this, better then Prevent-o-mite. He has a collection of over 100 different snakes and many different species and Breeds them quite a bit. So I trust his expertise. But anyways, the reason I ask what they look like is because the other day, my fiancée and I were holding one of our snakes, and on her white pants and arms were little black insects that came off the snake(we think that's were they came from. They were there before we picked up the snake.) that looked like ticks. But they were about a quarter of the size of normal wood ticks. Now I know a tick is a species of mite, but could these be reptile mites, or baby ticks? We live near a very wooded area, near the river. So we have found ticks in the house before. We have to bomb the house twice a year to try and keep the place clean of those pesky little suckers!!! And don't worry, the snakes, us and our cats go someplace else during the bombing process!!! s30.gif But I'm worried about what these may be. I've have had to really deal with mites before, other than when my mom's cat had ear mites several years ago. But I don't remember what those look like. No, I'm not living at that house now. Yes, we use to use reptibark at first for our snakes. But we have since stopped using that and have switched to newspapers. Any Ideas or assistance would be nice and greatly appreciated.

Re: mites

Humm! I would say continue treating the cage for mites. Sounds like they just might be hopped up on some kind of growth stimulant. Ha Ha.

Goodluck

Comment

Ok well you have mites.. Well your snake does... you can get the swayers stuff at wal-mart... they will order it for you if they don't have it... I would stop using the no-pest strips.. Just think the water is no good because of the fumes the air is not any good ether... In fact it is worse then the water and if the water will kill the snake just think of what and how fast the air will... There are some studies out there that deal with this very thing... If I can find one I will post it here so you can read it.... If you look you can find nix, and-or some tick, mite, or lice spray... this is the stuff you spraying on your couch to get rid of the lil' bugg's... Oh and my guess is if he said he had better luck with no-pest strips then he has not used provent-a-mite... That is a fact!!! All you do is take the snake out of the cage and clean it... real good... then put the substrate in and spray the stuff on it... let it dry and replace the snake and the water.. You will not have any more mite's it is done and over... even the one's that have left the cage will not go back in because they will meet there demise... If you treat your cage every month or so there will be no more problems... That is my .02
      Eric aka...Red

Comment

Actually while looking for better pictures of mites, to determine what we might have I found several sites both pro and conn for no pest strips.This site is pro and conn. http://www.vpi.com/9VPITipsAndTechs/...TheWeapons.htm This site is total pro http://www.calzoo.com/html/peststrips.html Of course Lori's site http://www.koalaskritters.net/sawyersuse.htmlis totally against it. I found several others that were totally against it as well. I'm leaning towards getting rid of the no pest strip anyways. But as something that was last minute and couldn't find anything else. I just took his word for it. I'll have to go back to wal-mart and look for the sawyers spray. What department would I look in. I'm assuming the hunting department, Do I assume correctly. I figure, the no pest strip won't harm them in the sort term, until I can get the better stuff.

Comment

Ya they are all long term effects from what I under stand... You know I don't know where in wal-mart it is.. I bought one can of provent-a-mite and I still am using it... Just ask sombody at wal-mart... they have stuff in different departments depending on where you are...
          Eric aka...red

Comment

Hey lori (or anyone who could offer assistance ),
             On your website about sawyer tick spray usage http://www.koalaskritters.net/sawyersuse.html you stated,
            3.Remove any/all ornamental pieces from habitat....ie..climbing wood, hides, etc.
            then you said
            6. Place any/all ornamental pieces back into the habitat....ie..climbing wood, hides, etc. Do NOT place items that are made of substances such as fiber or plastic into habitat at this time.
            I have some questions for you.

(1.)  Why do you not want to place the plastic items back in on step 6?

(2.)  I have a hide for my snakes a "cave" that is made of a plastic type of material. When do I want to place that back in the habitat? Would I place it back in the tank when I put the snakes in the habitat?

(3.)  I assume then that I just clean the "cave" with bleach water or boiling. I boil it all the time, so I know it's safe to boil.

(4.)  I have read several sites that said to put the snakes in some container with about an inch or two of just water. Other have said an inch or two of water at first to allow them to drink then add some listerine. Other sites have said to add other things to the water. Basically to drown the mites. What do you think about this and what do you recommend?

Comment

Ok...In regards to the vapona thing being used for mite treatments...
              The reason being that I do NOT reccomend using it at all is sinple..
              I get contacted by at least 5 people per month that when it comes down to it..their snake[s] have been treated for mites and they used vapona to do such AND they used it the "proper" way from what they tell me they have done with it. ie.. the put it in a container with holes and remove wtare bowls and leave for so much time etc.. They usually use the vapona cuz that is what their vet told them to do for the mites. here's an example of one of the contacts I had recently that had used vapona..
              They contacted me cuz their snake was acting strange, flipping upside down, regurgitating it's food, acting strikey and then some...
              First question I asked them [ Ya learn after awhile to do this hehe]....Did you just treat your snake for mites at all ? YUP, they had..and still were. Asked them if they were using vapona..UH..YUP they have been and still are.
              Here's what i had them do..
              Remove the vapona and toss it in the garbage. Remove the snake and place it into a soak for 10 minutes. While snake is soaking...remove water bowl from cage and then clean the cage out thoroughly etc. After that remove snake from soak and dry it off. 15 minutes later their snake was like a different snake..no more of the weird stuff going on at all. The snake it turned out had basically been poisoned and was having neuro problems from the vapona that they were using as reccomended by their vet [ they have a new vet now also ;D]
              They went out and bought the Sawyers and treated the cage for the mites and haven't had any mites since then at all. That was bout a month ago.
              Soo..See why I don't reccomend the vapona at all to people ?

Now for your questions on the Sawyers stuff.. I spray the cage and substrate down and then I do a second application of the Sawyers for the wood and hides etc that are in the cage also [ NOT the water bowl though ]. That's why it is written out like that. If you know that your hides can take the boiling water, then by all means go ahead and do that with them. I don't spray down the plastic stuff with the sawyers as plastic is not porous and the chemical could possibly remain as a liquified form still when placing the snake back into the cage. So that's just to avoid any complications from applying the sawyers to the plastic is all. BTW.. The same with the Provent a mite too.
              YUP... I place the plastics back into the cage when I put the snake back in and also after they have been thoroughly cleaned with either bleach or like you said..boiled if they can withstand that.
              Listerine for mites ?? OOO...K That's a new one for me. I have never heard of using listerine for mites at all myself..till now. As far as the other things that people may be suggesting to put into the soaking water.. It could be one of those products that is labeled as for mite treatments on snakes/reptiles. Like mite aid or such. Basically..they are the same type of venue that using mineral oil is actually. Just look at their ingredients and you will see the oil listed in it. Another great way to make a buck by labeling something that can be bought cheaper under another name..ie mineral oil. and labeling it for a specific purpose ..IMO.
              Soaking the snake will help with getting rid of the mites. If using the Sawyers or the Provent a mite then that is actually an unneccessary step to take on your part IMO.
              Sawyers can be bought offline also from their site. It is $6.99 a can. In walmart they stock it in the camping area along with the other bug sprays.
              The mites look just like what you saw..tiny lil black dots that move. They are about the size of the head of a pin. Ticks are larger..even the smaller ones. If your seeing lil black dots that move.. I'd say mites most likely. I have as yet to hear about a tick that is as small as a mite. if you can actually see any legs on the lil buggers , then they are too big to call a mite I'd say. Unless you have advanced eyesight that is that none of us have lol.

Comment

That's were I figured I'd find the Sawyers spray, in the camping supply section. I checked out one of our wal-marts, last nite, but they didn't carry it. I'm going to check out a few others this week and see what I can find. I did end the usage of the vapona though. I'll probably just use it in my garage this summer. Hey at least I can get rid if the flys and skeeters that way. I bleached the entire tank last nite, boiled everything. Threw away all the newspapers and tape(I have tape around the edge of the cage lid to help hold the screen on. It's a very cheap lid that's put together like a screen in a screen door. You know with the rubber strip pressed into the crease, holding the screen on. I hate it, but I can't find any lids that'll fit on the tank to replace it. So I put the tape on to help hold the screen on, since my cats love to try and sit on the top of the it) and everything else that didn't need to be in the tank. I did allow the snakes to soak in a luke warm bath while I was doing so. That way I can drown any mites that may be on them. I figure that'll help for awhile, untill I can get my hands on some sawyer's. If I can't find it, I'll just order on-line. I did find some mite's in the tank and in the water after soaking the snakes. None of those other things that I saw in the first place. They were much bigger, and yes I could see legs on them. Like I said, they looked like small ticks. That's probably what they were. I'm just wondering what they were doing on my snakes!!!!!!!!! > > >

Comment

I'm just wondering what they were doing on my snakes!!!!!!!!!
                  UMM.. Eating/feeding..aka the food chain ??? hehe

OK.. Where are you located anyways ? I've got Sawyers on hand here..but I don't think your anywhere near me at all if I remeber correctly. ??? The soaking will help some..not fully though..better than doing nothing till ya can get your hands on what it is ya want to use for the mite eradication.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunantly I'm no where near you!! I live in Illinois. I've got 3 more wal-marts near by me that I've got to check out this week to see if I can find it. Thanks for the offer though!! ;D I haven't seen any mites in the cage, since I bleached it out, but I know that doesn't mean that there aren't any. > ???

Comment

but I know that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
                      UH..HUH.. Most places they might be that your not seeing them is in the cracks/crevices etc of the caging. On the snake the places are under the scales/in that lil skin fold under the chin/the rim of the eyes//vent basically.

ND most likely you won't be seeing any more mites until their eggs hatch out either after cleaning with the bleach. UGH ???

Comment

Well, hopefully they'll wait to hatch until I can get the sawyers and Kill them off. > > >

Comment

LMAO not quite sure if they will wait and go with your scheduling at all hehe

Comment

Hey, I can dream can't I ??? ???!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!

Comment

SUURE ya can ! BUT..It's just a dream no matter how ya look at it anyways. If only were that simple..... ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X