• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI Infection and sulfadimethoxine

Hi has anyone ever used this for RI..

Re: RI Infection and sulfadimethoxine

HMm.. Question for you..
    Do you live somewhere where there are a lot of farm type animals basically ..e country type area ? Is your vet well versed in reptiles actually or not ?

This med is used primarily in the tx of many of those types of animals such as, fowl, dairy cows, turkeys, beef cattle and the like. It is used for tx of Ri /pneumonia in them as well as other things such as coccidiosis, fowl cholera and foot rot for some examples.

So to answer your question that you asked...NOPE ..I never have used this rx for my snakes/reptiles at all for an RI here. ???

Here we have used Baytril and Amakacin for RI in snakes.

Comment

We have ten plus boas all healthy we purchached a snake on line bad deal................. major ri infection hasnt eaten for months..... this is like three weeks a go treates with flagyl and panacure and hydration and 2 doses of that stuff recomended in a snake book 50mg per kl sulfadimiethoxine it seems to be helping she is going into shed and are hoping for the best!!!!!! :-/

Comment

we purchased  this med from the bean farm no are vet says he is  a herp vet but is a dumb [edited..PLEASE do NOT do that on these forums at all.]

Comment

HMM.. Ok WHY med for hydration and parasites etc when it is an RI you are dealing with actually then ?

What exactly is this snake book you are refering to ? Is it the one titled .."What's wrong with my snake?" by any chance ?  :

I asked a few other reptile rehabbers about this med and they also have never heard of using it for an RI in a snake either at all.

Comment

thanks for the help lori,the reason we are treating all three,is she came with all those problems as a package deal :anyway i ordered tylan yesterday,and will try that...thanks

Comment

Ahh.. I see. Ya didn't mention it in the first post at all. So was wondering just why your treating for it then.
              The tylan has worked for some people that I know also. I just haven't used it much here at all. Might though..easier to get and we'll see about the cost ratio with the others. I have heard both good and bad in regards to it in use for RI's in Boas. Just watch the dosing when using it though. Let us all know how it goes too please.

Comment

will do....thanks...p.s.,,,thanks for the meal replacement shake,she seemed to like it also>>>fed 1cc three times today,seemed to perk her up a little!!

Comment

we did it josie (we named her that by the way ) she shed yeah for us any how we arnt outa of the woods quite yet but after about abunch of eye caps came off she is beautiful she is the most spectacular snake i have seen come from the dead whoohooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D b1.gif b2.gif b3.gif s31.gif cwm32.gif s16.gif. thank you all for your advice and support well let you know how the tylan does!!!! ;D

Comment

GREAT!! I bet she looks like a completely different snake now that she has gotten that shed off of her huh ?

thanks for the meal replacement shake,she seemed to like it also>>>fed 1cc three times today,seemed to perk her up a little!!
                    From another thread roght / I didn't see it on this one anywhere lol. Just make sure that you "warm" it up to at least room temp if it is being used from a batch already made and in the fridge.
                    How big/small is the snake actually ?

Comment

this is josie

Comment

For all of you folks that dont believe have faith in all that you do.
                        well josie was really hungery after her layered shed so we defrosted a jumbo and she struck at it but her throat was still sore she couldnt get it down ................After her shot of tylan and two nights and days of lots of sleep(it was the shot of tylan) She has succecfully eatin her first meal in about 8 months........... b1.gif b2.gif b3.gif s9.gif cwm20.gif ;D again thank you for all the great advice

Comment

Looks GREAt ! In regards to the feedings.. Just offer a smaller prey item for now until she is more comfortable in passing them down is all. Should do that anyways when they have been off of feed for some time..just to nOT cause an overkill in their digestive tract and/or a possible regurge..UGH.

Keep us posted on how she's doing also.

Comment

Working...
                          X