Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible problem with my Boa, any suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible problem with my Boa, any suggestions?

Hi All,

Just a question, not sure if you could tell me if this is common with Boa's or something to be concerned with.. My newly aquired 6 foot boa has this habit for lack of a better word of staying upright, basically pointing his head straight up, sometimes leaning the side of his face on the glass or sides and nose stright up towards the ceiling. He stays this way for long lenths of time. Normally I would be concerned with this but because his mouth is closed, so I am thinking its not respiratory, and yes his mouth appears mucus free. I was reading up more on boa's and a problem called star gazing grabbed my attention. Now I have been dealing with snakes for a long while, but this is my first full time boa, it may just be normal for them. All the boa's I have dealt with over the last three years were rescues and placed within 48 hours, so I am not 100% sure.

Any thoughts
    Thanks
    Steve Clark

Re: Possible problem with my Boa, any suggestions?

Steve:
    What are the temps like in the enclosure?
    Is there enough air circulation in there?

If your boa isnt making clicking or wheezing sounds and the mouth is clear then it should be clear of an RI, but keep a very close eye on it anyways. If the snake is still flicking it's tongue like normal and does not have any trouble righting itself when it is flipped upside down then you shouldnt have to worry about IBD (Stargazer's disease).

Better safe than sorry though... schedule a vet visit to have your newly acquired boa checked out. (You never know what might be going on with it.)

Comment

Ok..Just to clarify something that was said here>>>>

***Stargazing is an actual thing in/of itself. It is basically relative to a neuro problem that is going on with the snake.

***IBD aka Inclusion Body Disease is something else. Allthough the star gazing is/can be seen in cases of IBD as one of the presenting symptoms of such. [Along with OTHER symptoms to suggest a case of IBD]

There is a definative way to check if your snake is "star gazing" due to a neuro problem or is just being "Spacey" and staring upwards cuz it likes to. When you catch your snake doing this "star gazing" thing, take your hand and wave it in front of the snake. [Watch for striking by the way , you could get tagged doing this lol] If your snake is indeed "star gazing", then you will NOT get a responce from the snake at all by waving your hand in front of it. BTW.. A responce could be something as simple as your snake flicking it's tongue only or anything up to a strike being emitted hehe. If you receive any type of responce from your snake, then your snake is just being "spacey" is all..Don't fret over it at all either...LOL. Some snakes , especially the larger boids like yours, just like to spend time doing this and there is nothing to worry about with them at all cuz of it either.

NOW as for IBD.....There are MANY different symptoms that COMBINED relate to the snake having IBD. One symptom is NOT conclusive that the snake has IBD at all ! The ONLY conclusive way at this date and time to determine IBD accurately is to have a necropsy done on the snake. Star gazing is only one of the symptoms of IBD. If your snake is doing this , it also will not emit a responce when you try to check for one by waving your hand in front of the snake at all. Also your snake would not be able to right itself if it were to fall over and land on it's backside at all also if it has IBD. [ NOTE : That there are other diagnoses that could also emit this type of inaction on your snake too..IBD is NOT the only thing that has the symptoms that are associated with it at all. Alsao...a multitude of the IBD symptoms need to be in place for you to relate that it is most likely that your snake has IBD. TONS of people lately have been jumping all over IBD being the problem with their snake and/or other people stating that a persons snake has IBD , when there is NO conclusive reasoning to believe such at all present.]

Comment

First, thanks so much for the info.. I really do my best to give my snakes a good home..

OK, first the temp in the center is 80. Since at this time I do not have an overhead heater (coming soon), I have a pig blanket on one side of the tank, the surface temp is 90-92. The humidity (center gauge) is 60%, I also mist once a day. As for ventilation. Since it is sealed wood on three sides, top and bottom, I cut 4 2" holes (two one each side) and have soffit vents in the holes. The front is two piece sliding glass doors.

Now as far as the info you gave. Midnight sometimes stays straight up for periods of 10 mins to an hour. Nose straight up, sometimes leaning on the glass or hide, sometimes just straight up. If I touch his body or make a movement, he does break the straight up stance, and doesn't lose his balance. When I hold him he just relaxes around my shoulders and does the "S" possition with his neck, sometimes straight down, sometimes relaxes on the top of my head,. He only seems to do the looking staright up in the cage.

I would try to do more research on this new addition, except we have yet to figure exactly what breed he is. People have guessed from a Central American Boa, Mexican, P. Black tailed Boa, etc.. I have checked out 100's of images and can't see enough detail to tell.. I will include a pic of him and a pic of his encloser, he is on the bottom..

Thanks for the help..
        Steve

Comment

Here is the little guy.. Just so you know, his tail goes to a jet black, and he has pink cheeks. He also has a black mustace and gotee. I like the different ones..LOL
          Steve

Comment

Last one...

Comment

Working...
            X