This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• round worms

I just found out the other day that Ursula has round worms. cwm3.gif ??? ??? How in the world she got them, I have no clue!!! Any Ideas on this one?!?!?!?! Now I have to give her this medication that is a friggin paste!! The Vet told me to give it her either by putting it in one of her rats or ramming the syringe down her throat and squeezing it out. I tried both with the first tube. Because she eats F/T I found it almost impossible to put it in the rat, so I tried to pry open her mouth. She did not like this one at all!!!! I was so afraid to force her too much because I didn't want to hurt her or break any of her small little teeth. :'(I did get her mouth open and the syringe in her mouth to squeeze the paste in her mouth, some of it got in her mouth, but most of it came out of the corners of her mouth and then she wiped it off her mouth all over her tank. Does any one have any clue as far as a better way of giving this to her? I have one more tube to give her in two weeks. I might go to the vet and get another tube, because I don't know how much she actually got. But if there is an easier way of getting her to get this medication, any help would be appreaciated!!!!!

Re: round worms

HI,
     Have you owned the boa its complete life or did you accquire, her later.  Many animals are fed live or fresh killed rodents,
    all and every parasite that's in the rodent now moves   in to the snake. Hey parsites gotta live too :P
     So after conversion to F/T rats or with any boa I acquire from a petstore I always take a couple stools to the vet.. This helps catch them parasite loads that may have been there all along, so the history of feeding is important to know. Heck most pet stores don't care where the boa came from or what the parents looked like..

Another reason to isolate animals is to prevent the spread of parasites in the group. Sick snake poo's and everyone slides thru it  yeachhh...
      After that worming have her checked  again..
      doug  8)

Comment

Oh trust me, her stool is getting checked again in a month. I am getting 3 more redtails soon, I'll be gettings hers and their stools checked before I intruduce them together. As far as what she ate before I got her, I don't know. I know the previous owner fed her F/T, but I don't know about the two before them. I do know that when she was younger, she was fed live, only because of the large scar on her back, but from what I understand, she's afraid of live now and will only eat prekill.

Now, as far as her medicine, does anyone have a better idea of how to give it to her. She needs to take one more dose, but I need an easier way of giving it to her. s3.gif Any Ideas would be helpful!!!

Comment

Now the thing with giving oral med's is that you really need to get all that stuff in the snakes mouth way back there too... or the lil' s$#t will just spit it out well as much as they can.. I will go find the way to do this I have asked this before and got a better response then you...
        Eric aka...Red

Comment

Well any way there is a post called "this is my situation" and writen by me... It is on the the 5th or 6th page... I use a Q-tip use the stick part not the cotten... In fact I take the cotten off... You don't want to the cotten the catch on those teeth.. Just push it in and roll it at the same time and then they will open up... They will not let them selvs get hurt so it will work... Then just push the stick back the the back of there mouth and squirt the stuff as far back in the mouth as possible.. This will work and it is not easy but it is the easyest way I have found... I hope I could help..
          Eric aka...REd

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will try that next week when I have to give it to her again. Hopefully, this time she will take all of it. She is such a huge thing, she puts up quite a struggle!!! But I will definently give it a try. Thanks for the idea. :-*

Comment

;D Hey, it worked!!!!! s9.gifI gave her the last of her medication on Tuesday. I tried the Q-tip idea. It was quite a pain in the arse getting the stick in her mouth. Boy did she put up quite a fight b10.gif But I was able to hold her head long enough to hold the Q-tip at the back of her mouth and squirt the medication down her throat. I did allow her to roam free for awhile, after I wiped off the last remnants of the medication off her mouth, as a prize for taking the medication. Then I fed her and she seem's fine now. Hopefully in a month when I take the next stool sample back, she'll be over the worms and I can introduce her to our new boas who are healthy. I built a new cage for them all to live in. I'm still not sure how she got the worms and the vet is quite sure either. We have our Ideas, but we're not completely positive. But at least we caught it early!!!!!

Comment

HI,
                 Your vet is sort of scaring me about the worms, I would like to believe he is very familar with the life cycles of parasites and the intermediate host and such. This is well doccumented in books.
                  Your snake acquired the worms from their food most likely when they digest the rat if fresh killed or live the larva and or ova of the worm is able to with stand the digestion and mature in the Lower GI tract and become and adult reproducing worm and so the cycle begins. Freezing a rat ruptures the cell walls of the worms, ova, larva. Killing the little beggars that why all my snakes only eat fresh thawed,, psps frozen rats don't have flea's nor mites..

My vet worms VIA stomach tube and retreats in about two weeks..
                there is an excellent vet resource online that sort of reccomends herp vets, not all vets should treat reptiles..
                [ftp]http://www.herpvetconnection.com/[/ftp]
                  Hope this helps.. convert to fresh thawed after worming and you'll stay worm free.
                 Psps I saw you may acquire some more snake remember to isolate any new snake for a couple months to be sure they don't have IBD. Always clean the new snakes cage last, wash up before holding older snakes after holding the new ones.
                 toooo many posts of entire reptile collections wiped out by that ibd..[ftp]http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html[/ftp]
                I treat all new snake cages and old cages for mites once a month (provent-a-mite)this will proably stop the spread of IBD and mites if an animal is infected
                it can take months for a boa to show signs of the disease.
                doug

Comment

She always eats F/T rats, ever since she has been with me anyways. ;D As far as the Vet thing, he actually is very knowledgable in Reptiles. It was one of the assistants that I talked to that we discussed the possiblities of how she got the round worms. After the vet saw her and discovered that she had Round Worms, he had to see several other patients so I discussed it with one of his Assistants. That was one of the possibilities that we discussed that she may have gotten it from a rat that she ate previously to myself acquiring her. I was just basicly looking for other input on other reasons of how she may have contracted it. Don't worry, This vet came highly reccomended from several breeders in the area.
                  As far as the other Snakes, they are currently in Isolation. And not in the new cage. We still have to complete it. They've been to the vet awhile ago, So I am taking all Three of them to the Vet when I take in the new stool sample from Ursula, to get complete check ups and to get there stools checked as well. Luckily They've always been together, so I only have to wait for one of them to go to take in the sample. But yes, I've heard all about the people who lose their whole collection by intruducing a new snake to the colony who is ill. I don't want to do that, so I am taking every precaution to help that not to happen.

Comment

Hi,
                     Thanks for the reply and your snake sound like they are in excellent care...  Good luck   How about  some pics.
                    here's my motely crew..    
                       doug
                    [ftp]http://photo.redtailboa.org/my-pets[/ftp]

Comment

Very nice looking babies. I plan on creating a website dedicated to All of my babies which is quite a menagerie. Just as soon as I have the time to sit in front of a computer, create a website and post all of my many pictures of all of them. I have several rolls of film of just them. ;D So, hopefully soon you'll all be able to see my babies and their new home.

Comment

;D Well, almost 2 1/2 months later , she finally pooped. Got the sample into the Vet and NO SIGN OF ROUND WORMS!!!!!!!!!! s9.gif Very good timing too. I'm almost done with the new cage the I plan on putting all of my Snakes in. They have all been checked and all come with a clean bill of health!!! Just thought I'd add an update.

Comment

Working...
                        X