This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffy bottom jaw....

I don't know what is going on with my snake but yesterday i checked on her just before i was planning on moving her ( i moved somewhere else)..and she was totally fine...20 minutes later i went back in and her head was like twice the size it normally is...her bottom part of her mouth look like it was filled with air....i mean REALLY SWOLLEN....i was really confused because she was fine earlier....she was in the same spot only i could tell she was hurting because her tail was twitching like crazy....the earliest i could get her to a vet is tonight but i am really concerned about what is going on....

me and my mom got her to open her mouth and there wasn't anything stuck in there so we were really lost still...

i know i will find out what is wrong tonight, but if anyone is out there now, i would appreciate any insight you might have..thanks alot.....

Re: Puffy bottom jaw....

You never did continue on this. What was the cause of the puffy jaw. I know my girl does that every once in awhile, just fills her lower jaw with air and it will be like that for awhile, then she'll let out a bit of a wheez (she has the start of an RI that we are taking care of) and she's fine. What did the vet say about your's. Hope it wasn't too awfully bad.

Comment

I forgot that i had made this question. The vet found a small hematoma (not sure on spelling) on the front portion of her mouth. The cut and eventual infection was traced back to an insident shortly before when she struck at the glass of her cage during a feeding. The vet said the cut got infected and caused sudden trauma when she struck again, which developed an irritation that made her mouth swell.

She was treated with 4 antibiotic shots over a period of one week and has been fine since. Just before the 3rd shot she lost one of her teeth. The one that was implanted where the cut was. So things are going great now. I once again have a nice and healthy boa.

Comment

;D Great, I'm glad he's OK!!!

Comment

hi,
           I would like to  mention that I have seen problems from broken teeth in boa's becoming infected ,from something as silly as striking the glass front of a tank, I try to keep people from teasing animals in cages it could cause a problem in the mouth later.
            doug
             ps, this occured in a pet store that had grumpy pythons and the customers kept tapping the glass to invite a strike. . DUH!

Comment

I have noticed that sometimes after bottom jaw swells. I t is gone with in a the hour. is this something that I should be worried about?

Joshua

Comment

I would definately have he/she checked out for an infection inside the mouth. That is what was wrong with mine, and if i didn't get her treated it would have gotten worse. s15.gif

Comment

I got the snake from clay and the first day i had him i feed him 2 pinkie rats. bottom jaw sweled up and then with in the hour the swelling was gone. i know that clay wouldn't sell a snake that was ill in any way. so i am really not worried. i was just wondering if anyone else has see this before?

Joshua

Comment

What you are seeing in your snake is the strech of the skin after feeding.. You are talking about after feeding right?? If so then that is the awsner...
                  Eric aka...Red

Comment

I know this is off the subject but....

speaking of stupid people who tap on the glass to rile a snake.... >

I went to my pet store last week to get some munchies for my babies. And there was this STUPID guy there beating on the glass trying to scare a mouse into going closer to the snake(it was feeding day), just because he wanted to see it strike. Oh yeah, in FRONT of his two little boys. So THEN when the mouse just sat there, he pulled out a pocket knife and tried to poke it between the small slit of the two sliding doors to poke it. I was so pissed!! I went over and told him that he wasn't setting a good example for his two sons, and that maybe the snake would eat the mouse when it was good and ready!!

So then the guy went to one of the guys who worked there and asked them if there was any way to get the mouse closer to the snake!! What a dumba$$

Kinda off the subject, but Dougs post reminded me of that incident.... :

Comment

I was thinking that's what it was but I wasn't a 100% sure thank's red.

Joshua

Comment

No problem... You should see a big burm's extra skin under there.. I don't know if they are set up to take bigger prey iteams then most but they have a perty large bulg after eating for like an hour or so...
                        Eric aka...Red

Comment

Oh ya witch person is stupider the suposed educated one that put a live prey item in with a snake and left it with no supervition, Or the uneducated shopper that thinks it is cool that snakes kill there prey... When I got a snake I thought it was cool to watch the snake eat.. I would vote for the person that should be educated not the uneducated one... well that is my .02 cent's... Now I am all for education but ignorence is no reason to hate sombody... If the person in the pet store was doing things right the snake would have been in a cantainer in a room that the snake would not get disturbed in not the display cage of a pet store... I would have told off the pet store attendent first... Then the other guy...
                          Eric aka...Red

Comment

yeah you do have a point, but I never said that I hated the guy...where do you get that in my post?  Yes I said he was a dumba$$ but that doesn't mean I hate someone.  My concern was more of him setting a bad example for his two young sons.  As far as feeding live or not, I think that is a matter of preference and IF I told the store owner off or not, would probably not change his mind.  Yes I think the shopper was the one in the wrong, educated or not...obviously he learned how to treat animals like that from somebody, so now hes teaching his sons some really great manners...  I think sticking a pocket knive into an animals cage to poke it is pretty extreme.  That is MY honest 2 cents.  Sorry if I offended you,  you didn't have to bite my head off or anything!! ???

Comment

no need to fight about it

Comment

Working...
                              X