This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retained shed on tail

My boa left a little unshed skin on her tail. Should I take it off or will it come off by itself.

Re: retained shed on tail

Normally it will come off by itself. You may help it along by soaking him/her in some water or raising the humidity in the tank. DO NOT PULL THE SHED OFF THE TAIL!!!!! You actually stand a possibility of hurting him/her.

Comment

HI,
      I haven't seen the retained shed on your boa, But I would try to encourage the skin to come off by placing the boa in a slightly warmed Ice chest with a damp warm towel for a couple hours to see if it will loosen up.
      Are you measuring humidty in your cage I usally raise my cage humidty when the blue comes on..
      this Guyana is pre-shed...Eye's are blueing and the skinlooks dry and wrinkly

I raise the humidty to 70 % or higher that week..
       Now the bad news,,, Retained shed on the tail can cut off blood flow to the tail  this could cause loss of tail tissue. .. Bad sheds can also indicate another problem , poor heat, low  humidty ,mites.
        Hope this helps ,
        Doug

Comment

Doug,

You are correct about the retained shed on the tip of the tail.

Clone,
        The 2 places we are most concerned in regards to a shed are the eyecaps and the tip of the tail. Most often overlooked is the very tip of the tail which will often retain 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the shed. This can normally just be rubbed off with your fingers after soaking in lukewarm water. However if several retained sheds on the tip of the tail are missed, then damage can result to the tip of the tail.

Please be clear in the location of the retained shed.

Soaking in lukewarm water will help, as well as commercial products that are added to water such as ShedAide or Shed-Ease.
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Clay,
          I did it!!! I soaked her tail in water than I rubbed the unshed skin off her tail. I put some polysporin after just in case to prevent any infection. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. She is one of your babys, clay. She'll be a year old in 3 weeks and she's already over 3 ft long.

Comment

Great! It works almost everytime, unless it is already too badly damaged.

By the way, I would like to see a picture at 1 year of age. I have holdbacks and would like to see how the siblings have turned out.
            To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
            -Clay English
            Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Better late than never but:
              i found/learned that a Gatorade and water bath quickly helps excess shed off. But of course it is much wiser to raise the humidity from 50 or 60% to +70%: As well as a mist or two per day when the "blues" set in (that dull color and opaque eyes). This has always led to a one piece shed for me. The key is to pay attention to your snakes and know when they need the extra attention.
              strauss_16

Comment

Working...
              X