X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lori, Clay or Jeff I have a question about Tumors

Hi everyone,

I took my boa to the Vet yesterday because of a very small lump with a scab that was on her back. She has had this since I got her back approximately one month ago. This was a cb snake that I had purchased as a hatchling kept for a little over a year and sold to a friend of a friend when I moved up north around two years ago. When the guy who bought the snakes heard I was back down in Florida he asked if I wanted them back claiming he didn't have time for them...an understatement the pair was in terrible shape when I got them back.

The Vet removed the scab and did a smear yesterday, he said that he did not like the look of the cells and he recommended that I have him send the slide to the Vets at Busch Gardens which I did. He also said that while I could have him just remove the lump by having it sent to Busch Gardens I would have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. He told me that he can lift the skin and feel under the lump so he thinks that the problem may be localized to just the upper skin area.

Does anyone have experience with tumors in snakes? Are reoccurance rates high or is there a chance that once removed the snake can go on to live a relatively healthy life. These are the questions I hope to have answered by authorizing the sample be sent off to Busch Gardens but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has dealt with a situation similiar to this before. Of course I'm over come with guilt over having sold these guys to the person I did, this in addition to some pretty hefty Vet bills that I'm expecting so please don't bash me any further. I'm attempting to right my wrong.

Thanks,
    Meryl

Re: Lori, Clay or Jeff I have a question about Tum

Meryl,

Well I have been very fortunate, and have not encountered any cysts, abscesses or tumors.

The only things I have read on the subject recommend just what you have done and that is the vet visit, diagnosis of sample, and treatment based on the outcome of the biopsy. In most cases the entire tumor is removed.

Sorry just dont have the experience with those type of problems.
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Thanks for the response Clay...guess I'll just have to be patient and await the results from the lab. Funny thing is that the bump looks much better after the scab was removed. It's almost smooth now. Of course the scab may reform but it's been a couple of days and it hasn't yet.

Want to say how much I'm enjoying the Forum, back when I used to keep corns I didn't have a computer and all the info I got was from periodicals (many of which sadly are no longer in publication). How nice to be able to ask specific questions and have these questions read and answered by people with so much experience. You experienced folks are very generous with your time and knowledge...just wanted to say how appreciated it is

Meryl

Comment

Meryl, I have come across some cases of this type of thing in the past. Sometimes they do not grow back once removed, other times they do though. Really all depends on what they are exactly and all that sort of technical stuff is all. Sending it off to the Busch vet would be a good move even. they should not only be able to if\d what it is exactly, but give some info on what to expect in the future too.

He told me that he can lift the skin and feel under the lump so he thinks that the problem may be localized to just the upper skin area.
        Well there is also a parasite that gets under the skin and once it dies off it looks like what you are describing here even. Basically it forms a type of cyst etc and once removed , that is the end of it [ barring that there are no further lil buggers in existance that is of course ]. Usually that is found on the CA's from what i have seen and heard of though.

Of course I'm over come with guilt over having sold these guys to the person I did
        Prolly would have happened anyways if you had kept the snakes even. If it is not from a parasite that was introduced that is to the snake. Either way you would not have had reason to think this would happen even. Most tumors are part of genetic make up and what a keeper does is not what's going to make the difference in whether a snake gets it or not really. Allthough there are certain types that happen due to exposure to something or husbandry etc.. ANYWAYS.. the snakes are back with you now and I am sure that your going to take care of whatever it is they need atm also. GOOD LUCK with them

Comment

Working...
        X