This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help ASAP!!!!!

My boas eye is infected BAD!!! Her one eyecap did not come off and I just came home and found her eye red, swollen, and pus is coming out of it...I'm freaking out, right about now and this kinda just came up out of nowhere!! What do I need to do? She is definately going to the vet ASAP tommorrow, but what can I do in the meantime?? Is she going to loose her eye?? I rinsed her eye out with salene, thats the only thing I can think of to use. I'm so upset, I think I'm gonna cry :'( ???

Re: I need some help ASAP!!!!!

I think the only thing you can do is get it to the vet.

The best thing you can do for your Boa is get it a properly sized enclosure and get the proper temps and humidity, like we discussed in your Temp Problems!!! post.

Comment

I just got back from the vet, and she said that her eye wasn't infected and nor did she have a cold ;D(sometimes they breathe through their mouths during a shed) and the only thing I can do for her is to keep her humidity really high and find her the right set up ASAP.(same thing you guys said!!) Hopefully it will fall off or I will have to wait till the next shed. Her eye is looking much better now than it was last night, the swelling is almost gone, but her eye is still pretty red and gross looking... :-[ :P So for now I have her in the same setup that I have my baby cornsnakes in, a rubbermaid container, those things are great for keeping the heat and humidity in. We are going to look tommorrow for her a new house ;D

Comment

well she probley got it bothered by trying to get it off... Have you tryed the wet towl in the snake bag trick yet... I got this trick from TC he is the snake guy here.. clay knows alot about boa's but TC knows about most types of snakes.. Well any way you should try it... at the very least the snake will not be able to rub it's head on any thing that is real rough.. good luck
        Eric aka...Red

Comment

Hmm.. What exactly is the snake's size atm ? Is it a baby or larger ?
          Did you try and help the eyecap to come off at all or did this just happen like this?
          What color was the pus coming outta the eye area also? If it was anything but clear basically,, ie yellow, green or such , then your snake's eye is DEFINATELY infected and you need to find a new vet also. Did the vet prescribe any anti's at all for the snake ?
          Personally from the sounds of it all going on atm.. If was my snake I would definately be washing the eye area like 3 times at the least on a daily basis ..probabaly use like novalsan even . Can get that from any pharmacy even.
          Definately do NOT try and remove any retained eyecap at this point also. All you will do is to further aggravate the eye area is all if ya did IMO.
          Use NO substrate other than like white paper towels for the snake till it is all cleared up.
          As for the temps and humidity supplied..
          Temps.. I would keep a couple degrees above what normally I do.
          humidity.. I would NOT be raising the humidity at all ! In fact I would actually lower the humidity even. Like to the 40-50% range. What seems to be getting lost here somewhere in what is being said is that with a raised humidity.. you would actually be making optimum breeding ground for the bacteria/virus or whatever is going on with the snake atm. AND also if there is not that much as yet.. there will soon be from higher humidity. Thereby complicating the problem[s] going on atm for the snake.
          Hey.. Was there any type of culture done on the pus coming from the snake's eye at all? That is really the only way to definately tell whether there is an infection present or not and also what anti's and/or tx regime would be adequate in treating what is going on atm as well.

You REALLY need to provide proper caging/housing for your snake as others have said it seems also.

Also .. Do NOT go playing around with that snake's eye/cap at all trying to get it off right now either ! You can really cause some major damage to your snake from what's going on atm IMO. AND You also could cause the snake to lose the eye even if it gets really bad.
          I just helped place a snake in with someone from here that ahd an infection, which came from a retained eyecap i beleive it was.. and the other eye got infected as well also i think. The one eye had to be removed it got soo bad for that snake. Now the snake has only one eye. arghh.
          Please find yourself another vet also btw..

Comment

she is a baby, the fluid coming out of her eye was mostly clear, it was really swollen the other night, but this morning it went down considerably. I like the vet that I took her to and I don't feel the need to change...she gave me antibiotic drops for her just in case, so I don't think bacteria breeding is going to be a problem. I AM not going to touch her eye, I never do that anyway, the vet didn't want to touch her eye either, the best thing right now is to treat her with the drops and wait. I am keeping her humidity up because that eyecap needs to loosen up and thats what the vet prescribed for her. And I am going to be looking for her a new house this weekend.

Comment

to red

BTW I DID try the baggie trick, I think she liked being in there, though when I took her out of the bag is when I noticed her eye really swollen. I think I'll try it for her next shed though. I'm just going to leave her alone in her little rubbermaid container right now, she seems pretty cozy in there ;D

Comment

UPDATE:

Just to let everyone know and give some advice that I just had to learn the hard way... :-[

If you've read the above post, then you know what was going on with her eye.  I took Chloe to 3 different vets before I found the RIGHT one, but by then it was way too late.  Chloe lost her eye.  I feel really bad for her, and I feel like a bad "mama."   The first vet wanted to wait till the next shed, the shed came and the eyecap STILL didn't come off.  The 2nd vet removed some of her eyecap and then wanted to wait till the next shed.  I waited a few weeks till the shed, by then I knew something was really wrong and found another vet, but like I said it was already too late.  

I know most of you on this site are probably more experienced than I am, Chloe is my first snake.  So my advice is to all those out there who are new snake "parents."  PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you keep the humidity up in those cages, it is very important for a perfect shed, because EYECAPS can be SERIOUS!!  

And make sure you find an experienced veterinarian who knows their stuff about snakes.  A lot of them say they do, when they really dont.  The third vet I took her to was excellent, and he was also a reptile breeder.  I just wish I had found him sooner.  

Comment

Sorry to hear that Angelina :'( Yet sometimes when we try our best to do what's right for our reptilian family members..it is not enough at times. I take it that the snake is doing well now though otherwise ?

it can NEVER be stressed too much that a QUALIFIED vet who knows how/what to do for reptiles is VERY IMPORTANT to have access to PRIOR to obtaining a reptile. Unfortunately, NOT everyone lives in an area where such can be found..UGH.
                  Humidity is IMPORTANT for the reptiles in their proper husbandry ! Retained eyecaps are only one of the problems that could result from such not being correct levels for reptiles.
                  A hard lesson learned , but hopefully others will also learn from what has taken place with your snake. Good luck with the snake's full recovery ! AND Stick around some and let us all know how it's going also
                  BTW.. Could you list your local and the name and info for the vet also please. Sounds like this vet knows their stuff.

Comment

She is doing fine, and seems to be adjusting. I fed her on Sat and she gulped down two rat pups with no problem. I think her balance is a little off, but I'm sure she will get used to it, she is still very young. She is still a healthy, happy, growing snake.

Comment

Oh, almost forgot.... I took her to the Avian & Exotic Medical Center in Miami, FL, the doctor is Marc Kramer, DVM. He is very good, and gave me more important and useful information than the others, and he also took his time with her and not once tried to rush us or her through the examination. The number is 305-234-2473

Comment

Glad you found a good vet, and I am very glad to hear that your boa is doing better. s9.gif

Comment

Working...
                        X