This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need some advice

About 6 months ago I met a red tail for the first time. She was 8 years old big beautiful and by far the sweetest animal I have ever met. I fell in love. So I decided I had to have my own. I read anything I could find about them, saved the money for a full grown enclosure and thought that I had thought of everything. I've had Phantom (a three month old beautiful light gray) for a week and today I noticed something strange. I don't know what you call it but the flap that covers the butt is sticking out a little bit. I'm familiar with what is normal and I don't think this is. It sorta just looks like the flap is swollen and pushing out making a bump at the top of the hole. I know it wasn't there when I got it (still don't know sex) because I inspected the whole body when I checked for mites or other visible problems. I can't get to the vet until the end of next week. Any ideas or recommendation would be much appriciated.

Re: I really need some advice

Well I have not had anything like that happen to my snakes.... I have herd of that and when it happens it is because of constipation... It could be a couple of other thing's but that is what it sounds like... Have you bought the boa constictor manual...?? If you have not get a copy... It also go's into some of the other thing's that could be going on there... Well if he is constipated then you can put him in warm water( Warm for snakes is cool to us the water should be like 90 or less The water will feel netural to the touch...) The bath tub is a good spot for this.. He will be able to move around in the tub.. Try to keep him active for a lil' while at first then let him soak... Somtimes I leave for this but check like every couple min.'s Boa's can dround... Repeat a couple times a day for awile if he does not poo take the snake to the vet... The vet is probley the best bet...
    Well I hope he is fine..
    Eric aka...Red

Comment

Thanks red. I don't think he's is constipated because he pooped on Monday. Last night I discovered that the poor little guy as mites to so now we have that to deal with as well. is there anyway the mites may have caused his other problem?

Comment

mites like to go for the eyes and the vent so a bunch could be under the vent scale and just engorged with blood and making the scale bulge a little. That is my best educated guess. If you havent already get some provent-a-mite from pro products the website is www.pro-products.com The stuff is magic, but read the directions carefully!! Its 20 dolars shiped to your door, get a couple of cans, you can never have to much.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have some prevent a mite on the way. He's doing real well aside from the mites, not acting strange or anything so I think I'll hold off on the vet until the mites are gone and see if thats it first. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

You can put the snake in some warm water to drowned the lil bug's too... and then you can put oil on then(veg.) this will kill alot of them... Well you probley should do it the other way oil first then bath... provent-a-mite will keep them away and will help them die but you need to get red of them... Clean the cage out realy well do the treatment I have just described and put provent-a-mite and hope for the best... Also you need to clean all around the room the snake is in Somtimes that can be the worst thing since last spring but it will help and mites are realy smart or lucky and get away all of the time... So be real maticulus when you get red of them...
            Good luck!!!
            Eric aka...Red

Comment

Hey red, I got tickled at your "hope for the best"

Well if people use provent-a-mite. There is no hoping or luck involved. If used properly, it ENDS the mite cycle and completely ENDS mites.

Period. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

End of mites....

End of worries......

End of "What the heck are those things crawling all over my snake?"

End of Story. . . . . . . . . .

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

How long does it usually take to get that stuff in the mail...It's been a while since I ordered it.

Comment

Just an FYI for ya on the Provent A Mite thing. The same EXACT ingredients are found in the Sawyers Tick spray that can be purchased at places such as Walmart. It is found in the camping area btw. Just make sure that ya get the spray can that has the same ingredients listed as the provent a mite can does is all. OH and the sawyers is only like 3.99 a can too btw.
                  NOTE : Either product can NOT be sprayed directly on your reptile either !

Comment

From what I have found out there is no other product out there that is exactly the same... there is alot of them that have all the same inactive and active ingreadeants.. but they are prepared differently and provent a mite is suposed to stay around for a long time so it will provent mites not just kill them... But I have not personly check that brand... But I have check just about all of the reg. tick and lice spray that most of the time have the very same ingreadeants... All have been diferent in some way... The fact is that you have to have like a degree to read the labels right... Well just somthing to think about.. Well lori is that stuff suposed to keep ticks away from you for a long time... may-be it is the same... I have been looking for one that is... provent-a-mite is too much..
                    Eric aka...Red

Comment

Well I didn't think Provent-a-Mite was too much. I used it and haven't seen a bug since. It was wonderful. I thought I was going to have a drawn out battle with them. But he's still just doesn't seem right. His skin is a little loose, when I handle him he is very active but he spends all the rest of the time in the exact same spot, his vent still looks puffed out, he never goes near his water, he eats real good and poops fine...his eyes also keep getting foggy like he's gonna shed and then he doesn't but his eyes go back to normal. :-/ I'm not sure if he's just wierd or if I'm just paranoid!

Comment

Well lori is that stuff suposed to keep ticks away from you for a long time... may-be it is the same... I have been looking for one that is... provent-a-mite is too much..

Umm I have been using it and it has worked to alleviate mites [ arghh rescue came in with em] and also has prevented any further ones as well. I treat ALL my cages as a preventative with the stuff also. AND on the POm being too much.. That's right.. I agree with that one and I know others who use this specific product as well, and have for a long time. It has worked just as well as POM does for them. YES, It is a residual thing also like POM.

Comment

Working...
                        X