This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH Boy, what a mess Boa baby

cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif cwm23.gif  I am so upset at what ever @ssholes left a gorgeous what I think is a central american boa infront of a pet store out here.  Ok, here is the story and pics follow:  We go to the pet store here in ElCajon (VetsPets)to look at their saltwater fish, the guys behind the counter are talking to a son and his mom and the next thing I hear from the mom is "isn't illegal to abandon an animal outside like that?"  Ok let me tell you that last night and until 7am this morning it was 34 degrees outside.  I went over to where they were and asked what they were talking about,  They told me that some @sshole left this pillow case outside sometime in the middle of the night infront of their front door.  I asked what it was and they said it was a snake, so ofcourse I asked what kind and I heard Central American and Mia thought he said South American boa.  I went over, opened the pillowcase, touched the head, the poor thing was ice cold, but very friendly and not head shy, head was quite beat up in the past either chewed all to he11 or abused by the jerks. I put my hand under the head to lift it up to look at the nostriles and tongue flicking and the mouth was bubbling.  I told the kid and the pet store guys that the snake had RI and they looked and they agreed, the kid suddenly changed his mind (he was only 17 if that and I knew he wasn't experienced and probably would do much better than the prv owners and grow out of the stage.  Since he was interested he got first dibs, he changed his mind and the guys that work there didn't know what to do with it since they couldn't spend that much on worries of vets, so i asked how much??????  I know I should not have done what I am about to tell you but with what me Mia were previously talking about it made sence.  The guy said that if we wanted it then we could have it, no strings or money attached.  He knows we take care of our babies and they get the best, we bring our babies in there all the time since he is the store we baught our ball Casper from and we took Skarlet to him for his opinion on health.  She is proud of us for what we have accomplished and that we take pride in our boids.  So, instead of walking out of there paying $30 for a sea anenome we walked out of there and straight to Petco for the CHE and water bowl.  As you look at the pics I am sorry but please have a kleenex next to you because after we got home we really examined her  and it is a very sad site you mite cry, I know I have a few times already because of the *Bad people* that did this to this beautiful snake at one point.

Re: OH Boy, what a mess Boa baby

Ok, the pic you can't really tell but you can't see the nostriles or where they should be, her head is so skard up.
    [img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0NAAEI!EQJZtq9cpmlvXLRCEN1ZTx6VlpeJ3gOEbMuIYOfC3QC 3e3IbYrl176cMiSW16MmII*Rw8jlMQrrS2SsQ/MVC-007F.JPG[/img]
    This on you can clearly see the 3 lumps on her neck about an inch from her head.
    [img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0NAAAAOMQfZtq9cpmlvXLRIJyJxLZ9b*28jq1iXvjYQ8O*e0tO P0QrP!bM35SusMYXqO37lqXG0fC2oh1F!Zb0Q/MVC-009F.JPG[/img]
    With this pic you can see her/his colors and markings.  What you see is the exact color of the body, no shadows or dark spots due to flash or lighting.

Comment

Look at the freckels and color on the belly.
      [img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0NAAAANwQSpp4z6Q0liEG0HQL72AK6sdexEiuBDfefI!PVu!H2 l5zcG3ePfVUlYK0*2h*gDNNwAVmIGtAWpgvhg/MVC-011F.JPG[/img]
      Ok, tonight we heated the house real good and are keeping the heat up.  Went and got a big bottle of Gatorade and ran a warm (snake comfort warm by the way).  The boid is in shed stage and really dry, we gave it a bath and about 5 minutes in the bath it pooped, any other time I would be real happy but this just made me cry and I want to hunt this jerk down to find out what the he11 they did to em to make the poop look like this.  Guys and gals, what do you think and out of all the years, have you ever seen this color poop?  Don't worry, we are taking em to a vet tomorrow as soon as the sun rises. Yes, that is brite green and runny with clumps. I opened the mouth and it looked like they were dying the food green because the white tissues in the mouth is also green. BUT, the tongue is extremely active!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

what the F was that person thinking? cwm23.gif. I have been into boids for a couple of years and I never saw feces that looked anything close to that. Do you have any idea what those lumps are? Could they be tumors or systs(sp?)?I dont believe in much but I do believe in Karma. He/She will get what they deserve sooner or later.
        By the way boid, you and everyone else who take rescues (Lori, Ritchie, etc.) are good people for doing more than your share to save these beautiful animals.

Comment

Ok, the lumps are free moving meaning if I move it it moves with my left right or what ever direction,(but does not move on it's own like it is something live in there) not like a tumor but more like a CYST (since you asked for spelling). At first it seemed like they might originally have been mites that burrowed under the skin, there is no sign of skar right there so it could be ticks but most likely cysts. I noticed you mentioned that you respect rescuers or say that we are good people. It so happened that while me and Mia were leaving the court house to go to the pet store we were talking about what papers we have to get to get a small loan to start our own Reptile rescue, and this happened. It still gives me chills because it just proved that it was meant to be to have her and I have learned that there are higher benefits to rescue than to buy. More need rescuing than they do to be baught from other countries or breeders. Clay and you guys are not included in this. I am talking mainly about over breeding and the breeder not caring about where the rep goes as long as he gets the money.

Comment

It's too bad you can't find that person... Well I guess I should not say that you will find that person... But do us all a favor and just take him to the cop's and don't get your self stuck in jail for somone stupid... Well I am glad to see your new family member is in good hands now... Good job! cwm7.gif And you know that karma will get that person in the end...
            ERIC

Comment

when i see things like this i literally become enraged. how people like this walk this earth is utterly amazing. i am really glad to see that this snake has found a great person to take care of it. my applause to you lover boid, you are doing a great thing. keep us posted on his/her recovery.

Comment

So far so good, except we tried to feed em and he/she wouldn't eat so we put the cover on the box (with air slots ofcourse) and put em with a F/T rat and we are going to leave em the rest of today and over night.  I found a vet that specializes in reptiles/snakes but he is only there Mondays & Saturdays and the next opening isn't until Monday at 9:30am.  So we took that spot, so far since we gave em the gatorade bath and put em in the tank with temps 90 and 93 there has been no bubbles or weezing.  His mouth tissue isn't as green in color as it was last night and all in all there are no signs of RI.  The mouth does still have a different color that I have not seen but no foam or bubbles or rotten looking areas.  The bath seemed to clean em up pretty good.  We are kinda calling em stubs since he is missing so much of his tail but we are trying not to get attached because we don't know his health outcome (hopefully we can save ema dn it's not to advanced for medicine).  Can you guys tell me what kind he is?  He kinda looks like he has saddles on the top and diamonds on the sides but absolutely no red.

Comment

I know I talked with you in length last nite in chat Loverboid.. But just to reiterate on some of what this poor lil guy has got going on :
                  The green poop could be from a multitude of things. Some of which are , non feed for quite awhile, coccidia, internal parasites..etc... That's why I suggested the easiest one for now. Don't give up on feeding him in the least bit. Also with a rescue in this condition [ I forgot to tell ya arghh] ..Go with a smaller prey item than what you would normaLLY fed to the size snake.
                  That's great that you don't find bubbling in the mouth area. Just keep up on that tetra thing in relation to RI that I went over you with until you get him into the vet. I have never lost a snake doing such ..yet. Also keep the temps up and the humidity down. I know you say he's got a shed going BUT the RI is more important at this time than the shed. You can deal with that later.
                  Don't rule out the mite/tick under the skin thing just yet. Once under the skin the parasite can travel to a different location even. therefore you may not notice any scar in the area that the lump is in. It could be a cyst. I got ways of checking on that also. get in touch with me again..hehe. Another thing it could be is the subdermal "rot" like I mentioned, OR the retained past shed that re-adhered to the snake's new skin and cosequently became an under layer of the snake's skin. I have actually seen this in a lot of snake rescues, mostly boids AND it presents as a "lump". I may be able to grab a pic or two of this actually to show you better what I am talking about [ I beleive I have a specimen with this "on ice"] In such a case you will NOT see a layer of shed that hasn't come off.
                  For the mouth just "clean" it out with hydrogen peroxide. All you do is use 100% hydrogen peroxide, place some on a q-tip and swab around the mouth area and inside. take care when working inside the snake's mouth so as to NOT get the stuff into the
                  [ dang the word escapes me argghh] entrance to the jacobson's organ arghh. I reccomend using a q-tip..swabbing and throwing that one out and use another one. You will go thru a lot of them but it's best this way. Do this 1-2 times per day. Be forewarned ..the snake may not like this hehe.
                  Apply mineral oil to that head area. Be careful to not get any into the nostrils though. It's ok to get it on the eye though. Only do this once per day.
                  Have you been able to get your hands on something to deworm him yet? He may not eat cuz of the worms also keep in mind. I'm not sure on the type of worm , but from your description in chat last nite I would have to say it's not tapeworms. I would lean more towards hooks being the one.
                  Need anything else just let me know. I know it's hard BUT please remember : In doing rescue..you can only do soo much with your efforts, AND unfortunately we sometimes lose 'em. :'( :'( This snake does have a chance with you working on it GOOD LUCK WITH HIM!

As for the rescue work ..YES there are higher benefits...BUT they are crossed with the path of a multitude of losses when dealing with "health jeopardized" reptiles. ??? Some rescuers do NOT deal with such serious "issues" in their rescues. Sorry your first one had to be such a case.

Comment

Update on Stubby: He shed today and it all came off (not in one peice but it came off). All the scaring on his head was scaring from bites or burns not retained skin but it came off and his nostriles are clear. He does still have a scar that goes straight down from the beginning of his head to between his eyes. Now he is breathing a little better but you can still hear him in labor breathing. Still won't eat but that is probably because of the bad RI. I will keep you posted after vet visit.

Comment

I spoke to a vet out here who said you should consider it being an IBD problem. Make sure you keep that one far away from Skarlett.

Comment

TC? Out of a curiousity factor, I've gotta ask...
                        What exactly makes the vet think this is an IBD thing going on here ? I'm just wondering if I missed something here.....

Comment

I showed him the post with the cosmic poop. That is a tell tail sign according to him and a few others I have consulted.

Comment

HMM.. I have yet to come across that in all the reading I have done on IBD. I also didn't find such from the snake I had awhile back that had IBD. hmmm..gonna have to look for updates on the info for IBD again....coccidia def causes this though I do know.

Comment

Ok I have a ? This guy we know Jason at the Petco by us came over last night to see Stubby and he explained to us that about a year or 2 ago this Petco got an order of Central A Boas and they all got those same mushy bumps on their body up by the neck. One got them and then they all got them and then they spread all over the body. The vet had told them that the bumps were due to the boids being infested with internal parasites and that was an infection that occurs due to being overloaded with them. The green poop happened with one of the boids and the vet explained that it was the smallest one and between the parasites and not eating it was stomach acids building up and because the body has to push and clean itself out with something. Jason told me to go to Rancho San Diego pet hospital, have them take a fecal sample and test that for parasites and everything else but they can tell me from that and then to go down to Mexico and get the meds that you had told me Lori. Batril and all that other stuff, get him weighed and give him the right dosage.

Comment

Working...
                              X