Leaking UVB bulb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Health-General] Leaking UVB bulb?

Hi everyone, I have been very busy so I haven't been able to make it on the forum but I have to ask about this! I checked a UVB bulb on a BCI in a display enclosure, and it appeared to have been cracking at the base and had some brown discoloration on the ceramic above the part you screw into the socket. Although, it never broke or shattered or anything like that, so I guess that's a small silver lining, as that's the only way it could get worse really.

I removed the bulb and put it in two bags in another room just in case, but maybe it wasn't leaking? I have never seen what a UVB bulb looks like after a while of usage so maybe it's normal...

Thoughts, opinions? Perhaps pics of UVB bulbs that are a few months old at least so I can get a comparison?

Any help is appreciated, including what I should do if a leakage is even suspected.

Also, should be noted that the Boa does have a UTH, on a hydrofarm. The UVB and regular heat bulb were for the higher basking spot. Just thought that would be important.

Re: Leaking UVB bulb?

Is it one of the CFL-type spiraly bulbs? Florescent bulbs have a small amount of mercury inside of the glass tube, but if it broke enough to let it out, the bulb would probably not have worked any more*. Even if it did get out, I kind of don't think that there's enough that anyone would really be hurt by a single isolated exposure. Is the base really ceramic, or could it be plastic? Maybe the ballast electronics get hot enough to discolor the plastic or something...that seems like a bad design if it is, though... If you're worried, it might be easiest to just throw it away (or recycle it) and get a new one.

*The tube has low pressure, causing the mercury to be a vapor. The mercury vapor is ionized by the electricity, and emits UV radiation. The opaque coating on the inside of the tube absorbs the UV photons and re-emits photons of the desired wavelength(s). sorry for the geek-out ...

Comment

Snakes don't need uv lighting.

Comment

I would just trash it, but honestly you really don`t need it. What size or type of cage are you using for your snake.
        sigpicJrock23

Comment

Working...
        X