respiratory or dehydration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] respiratory or dehydration

I moved last month and the snake went between 2 houses. Finally settled now but he started burying himself nonstop and he hasnt really drank water any. Today he was drinking for 2-3 mins. He hasnt coughed anything up yet but everyone around here is sick. Can he get it from being around them? He isn't sticking his tongue out either and rather still. His eyes are kinda looking cloudy but hes never been like this when hes shed before. Any help ?

Re: respiratory or dehydration

Well if your snake isn't in shed. He may just have RI do to the travel doing the move, if he wasn't wrapped up properly or if you self or people in your household are sick and was handling the snake. Then yea your snake could get sick as well. No one should handle any animal while there sick because you can pass it on to that animal. I dnt see it being dehydration if you saw him drinking water. Check to see if you see bubbles in his mouth cause it could be mucus. Squeeze the head slightly to see is you see bubbles or open his mouth cause you can see it that way as well. Definitely make a vet visit to be sure and get the treatment that you need.
    sigpicJrock23

Comment

Your snake is not going to obtain a common human cold or flu virus from any humans. The list of zoonotic diseases transferred from reptiles to humans is rather short and include bacterial infections such as salmonella and parasitic infections. You have to remember that the organism is quite different from humans and they have their own list of issues, upper respiratory being a possibility but I wouldn't say so in your case. Sounds like maybe your snake had some stress, new environment etc and now is likely going into shed which is also a stressful time for snakes. I would monitor and keep your husbandry on point and will likely be fine. If you hear wheezing after the shed and/or any mucous discharge then start thinking otherwise, although wheezing after a shed can also be caused by a nostril shed that didn't come all the way off and is now making sound when breathing. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Comment

I think it was the stress. Thanks

Comment

Good to hear, glad all is well!

Comment

Working...
          X