Boa has a pinkish red belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Boa has a pinkish red belly

So I saw this post while googling the problem. http://www.redtailboas.com/f16/pink-belly-59162/

That's what I've seen everywhere to explain why she might have a pink belly. My big girl just got off antibiotics for an RI. She's doing completely fine on that front, and has started eating again. The only issue I have, is that everyone is equating the pink belly to a snake that is about to shed, but Vahka (My red tail) Just shed about a week ago. She's about 6.5 feet, I'm pretty sure it's possible for a small snake to shed again in that short a time, but I didn't think it was possible for a big snake. If so, please let me know. If not, what other factors could cause her skin to inflame like this? I've got her tank at about 85 with around 50% humidity. and right now she's on paper towels just due to her being sick recently.

Re: Boa has a pinkish red belly

I'm realizing those pictures suck. The flash sapped all the color out of her belly. I guess the bottom two pictures are the only ones where you can kinda see it.

Comment

Are the paper towels moist or dry in the enclosure?

Comment

Very dry right now. I took her off her usual bedding so I could better regulate that.

And what I normally keep her on is a bit unorthodox for a large snake, but I've never had a problem with it. I usually keep her on dry'ish coconut husk. Had her on that for about 4 years on that.

Comment

I wouldn't worry much about coco husk. Thats a great bedding that I used to use for all my snakes when I had them. As long as its not saturated. The second picture is what worries me. The scales on the upper right of the picture have an infected look to them, but the ventral scales don't look the same. Id wait and see what others think.
          Last edited by Elizabeth94; 02-17-2015, 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

Comment

I thought she might have a small scale rot thing going on too. I've been spraying her with a 10% Batadine mixture every day just in case that is infection.

Comment

[UPDATE] So I guess she was getting ready to shed again; she hasn't gone blue eyed, but her tail and belly have started becoming opaque. I'm really confused by this though. She just shed a couple weeks ago, which is about twice as quick as she normally does. I guess it's just part of her coming out of her RI condition. Hopefully the "infection spots" clear up when she sheds again. I'll keep using Betadine.

Comment

[New Update]

She shed again. I guess the brown scales were missed ones from her last shed. No discoloration and no scale rot! She's completely back to normal. Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X