Dehydrated???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Dehydrated???

I'm new to boas, but not to snakes, and I was wondering if you all thought my baby leopard was dehydrated or not? I'm not sure if it's just because he's so young and needs to 'grow into his skin's or if he's dehydrated...he is only a few months old
    he looks wrinkley like this when he bends, but if he is straight, he looks normal
    idk what to deduct from this
    if he is dehydrated, what can I do to help him? I've been misting his enclosure for a few days now, so humidity stays around 70-80%, and he always has a full dish of water
    I had a regurgitation problem with him about a month ago (some of u will recognize him) so I didn't want to disturb him too much with soaks and whatnot
    suggestions?

thank you in advance!

Re: Dehydrated???

I'd keep the humidity up...when did he shed last? He may be going into a shed cycle...youngsters do that pretty often you know. I have one snake (an Aussie spotted python) that has trouble with sheds (NO fun!)
    unless I keep a "humid-hide" in her cage. Take a clean (new) Tupperware/or similar plastic food-safe container that's bigger than your snake, and put either moist (soaked & drained) orchid bark or moss in it. Cut a
    hole in the lid big enough for the snake to easily fit through (even with a meal or some growth) & I bet your snake will love it as much as mine seems to.

I do hope you've been checking your snake, his water & his cage carefully for mites too, as mites can not only dehydrate a snake, but can kill them. In all likelihood though, his eyes just haven't clouded yet.

Comment

I agree with Noelle that it is more likely that your snake is starting a shed cycle.

With high humidity and a constant water source, it is not likely that your snake is dehydrated unless there are more issues related to that regurge than we know.
      "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Noelle, I brought Skittles home on 05/23 and since then, he has not shed with me. when I bought him, the breeder told me he had shed only once and eaten only once, so with him being a baby, you would think he would be shedding more often
        I'm hoping it is just him about to shed, I just fed him and he took it with no problem so I'm not sure

Comment

I would soak him for a bit in nice clean water to help hydrate him and see if any mites fall into the water just to be sure.

Looks like the start of a shed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Senshii84 View Post
            Noelle, I brought Skittles home on 05/23 and since then, he has not shed with me. when I bought him, the breeder told me he had shed only once and eaten only once, so with him being a baby, you would think he would be shedding more often
            I'm hoping it is just him about to shed, I just fed him and he took it with no problem so I'm not sure
            I wouldn't worry...shedding depends on growth, and growth comes from eating, right??? Well it takes a while for a young snake to work up to a shed, even when they eat more frequently, because the prey they eat
            is smaller (less fur, smaller bones) so it's mostly digestible. Be patient, he'll get there... (if it's any consolation, I can remember the days when I worried about all the same things, lol)

Comment

Working...
            X