Baby oil for shedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] Baby oil for shedding?

Recently my six year old RTB had a couple of poor sheds. She went of her food too. I've upped the humidity and am misting daily now. I've bathed her and she's doing way better. She's eating as normal. My question relates to advice I was given. A local "expert" suggested that I use Johnson's Baby Oil to help moisturise the snakes skin. I'm sceptical. Any thoughts?

Re: Baby oil for shedding?

Proper humidity = proper shedding . period . Save the baby oil for the babies.

Comment

Baby oil will actually dry out the boa's skin making the next shed even more difficult. Your local *expert* isn't very knowledgeable.... As Morgan's Boas said, proper humidity is all that is needed. Would also double check temps. If she continues with poor sheds and off feed with correct husbandry then it is time to see the vet. Bad sheds and bad appetite may be symptoms of an underlying issue if husbandry is right.

Comment

I agree with ldydrgn, and that goes for olive oil & any other oil on snakes...bad idea that backfires. And might be some other health issue that bears checking...take a fresh stool sample to the vet.

Comment

Thanks everyone. You've confirmed what i was thinking. The baby oil is gone!

Comment

And btw, "baby oil" is mainly "mineral oil", which according to WIKI is "any of various colorless, odorless light mixtures of higher alkanes from a mineral source, particularly a distillate of petroleum"...I don't know about you,
            but I sure don't think that any form of petroleum belongs on any of my snakes. I'm not sure it belongs on us either? You really can't trust marketing these days...after all, for many years they also said hydrogenated oils
            (aka- "trans fats") were healthy for us!? Stay "skeptical"...you'll live longer, with any luck.

Comment

Working...
            X