Abscess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Health-General] Abscess?

Hey everyone, I've noticed some small lumps on Otis's belly. I let him get way too dry a while ago and his scales got chapped and split a bit right near where they are, so I'm thinking they're abscess? He also has this weird flat spot which is really new. I'm going to take him to the vet either way, but I figured I would get as many opinions as possible. What do you guys think? Let me know if you need better pictures, the lumps aren't very big so they are tough to photograph. You can actually see them best right below my thumb in the out of focus one. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Re: Abscess?

Are the lumps hard/firm or soft/squishy? I agree, it's vet time!

Comment

I was going to ask the same questions Noelle asked. LOL
      http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I guess if I had to pick one it would be squishy, but they don't feel like they are obviously full of fluid or anything. They feel more or less like the rest of his meaty portions, firm but supple. He's going to the doc tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

The vet visit was pretty unproductive. I know she sees a fair amount of snakes but I think most of them have common ailments that have advanced to extreme stages before their owners brought them in, so she didn't really know. She did mention that it might be a mild case of MBD, so I may throw a uvb light on his tank? I've never read anything about boas needing one though. If you squeeze him firmly and run your hand down his length there are definitely some "chiropractic" feeling/sounding things that happen, so I think that might actually be it? The lumps showed up so suddenly though. I'm going to send her these pictures and she'll send them to the vet at the local university. We'll see what happens with that. She could tell they are definitely in the skin not the muscle, and since they aren't red and don't really seem to be bothering him at all her suggestion was basically to keep an eye on them. What do you guys think, do you think that's what I should do or should I try another vet? They definitely don't seem to bother him at all. I did notice a weird little dimple thing on one of his eyes when we were looking him over, but I'll make a seperate thread about that.

Comment

Did she suggest worms/parasites at all? There are some that live under the skin.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, it's only lizards (like bearded dragons & iguanas that bask in their natural world) that get MBD, not snakes.

I wonder if the crepitus (the "sounds" you are feeling/hearing) could be symptomatic of a systemic bacterial infection, especially with how suddenly this has appeared. Has you snake fallen (or been accidentally
              dropped) that you know of? I have heard of a case where one got 'gas gangrene' (clostridial myonecrosis ) after repeated falls in a huge (tall) enclosure, but I think that was pretty rare. Bacterial infections often
              result from excess dampness, especially in cages that aren't kept clean. (warmth + moisture + filth = a festival of bacterial growth!) Parasites under the skin are possible too, but IMO, are more commonly seen in
              wild caught snakes. Antibiotics might be useful here, you might want to discuss the idea with your vet. (*bear in mind that they are most effective when lab work is done first, to choose one that will be effective
              for the specific problem, not just randomly guessing which to use...remember that all medications may have negative side effects so it's important that the right one be used to minimize harm, and with antibiotics,
              that the full treatment be administered so as not to cause resistance).

The trouble with snakes is that they are just SO stoic...it's hard to know when something is "bothering" them. Pay attention to his appetite & "attitude". Look for any open wounds, blisters, oozing, foul smell or
              discoloration of his scales. Again, I am just offering up suggestions that you might pursue with your vet...NOT diagnosing your snake...there is only so much that we can actually see online.

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post
                should I try another vet?
                Is that an option? You mentioned a University...is that withing driving distance? I only ask these questions because I know how difficult it is to find an exotic vet that knows enough to be really helpful. I'm not 'dogging' the vet you used, it is just that most don't have vast experience with snakes. I have never heard of snakes having MBD either. That's not to say they can't, I just have never heard of it. I know snakes don't need a UVB light so I tend to think they can't get it.
                http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

It sounds like I've been keeping the substrate in his tank too wet. The local vet talked with the university vet and they agreed that it is probably some sort of infection/parasite. I'm going to have an ultrasound done next week, because the only other option is to physically probe it, and I want to keep that sort of thing as a last resort. He hasn't fallen. He certainly likes to flop around in his tank (he likes to creep out along the underside of the lid until he loses balance, if that makes sense) but it's only 18" tall, and I'm the only only one who handles him.

Comment

Keepin' my fingers crossed for you & your snake...hope this resolves ok. Very glad you got another vet-opinion going.

Comment

Working...
                    X