new red tail sunglow morph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new red tail sunglow morph

Hello everyone I hope my picture attached but my girl red tail morph about two feer long I have been feeding her a small rat every 7 days but she has not pooed in over a month im a little concerened.Also on the picture you can see the skin around her head has turned blackish all of a sudden any help would be great Thanks I tryed a warm bath but no luck no hards lumps in her body Thank you

Re: new red tail aunglow morph

Don't see the picture. If there are no hard lumps, it might be that she just doesn't feel like pooping yet. Maybe try waiting 10 days before feeding to see if she feels like pooping? With Butter (24 1/2" 7 months old) she will only poop on the 9th day. If I feed her too quickly she sometimes will hold it because she is digesting new food now. Others might have different opinions.

This is also in the wrong location but I'm unable to move it to a proper location. The current location this is in doesn't get much traffic from long term members.

Comment

The "skin turning blackish all of a sudden" really concerns me...need to see what you mean in photo (< not showing up).

As far as her not defecating yet, not to worry: very common question among new keepers too, btw. Remember that baby snakes are eating baby rodents, which are more easily digested (tinier bones & less hair,
      aka 'roughage') so it takes multiple meals for them to make enough waste to bother eliminating. At least that's normal. The head/skin issue sounds like a concern: could it be a burn??? anything in her cage that
      she can touch or get too close to that's hot? There should NEVER be an unshielded heat source or light...snakes can be quite clueless until it's too late & they're injured. Burns are very painful, and injuries on the
      head are especially dangerous in terms of infection & proper healing (if that's what this is- remember, I'm not seeing your photo)...you might need to get her to a vet, asap?

And by the way, welcome to the forum! No such thing as a dumb question...we all had them too, I promise!

Comment

Wondering if the op is referring to a dark phase? My boas all darken up after feeding. Especially on the head.

Comment

Re: new red tailb morph

Im sorry but I cant figure how to get a pic on here nothing that could burn her temps are just right basking area at 92 ambient at 85 but shes always on the cool side always i almost thought she was cold im not sure also the breeder said she was a sunglow morph im not 100% on that either
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: new red tail sunglow morph

I don't see any burns in the picture. Sometimes it is easier to take a picture of a moving snake on a white background. For uploading pictures, the easiest way is to upload it to photobucket or a similar site. It will have an IMG link which you can copy and paste here -- it should look like [img] url [/img] and when you post the reply it will be a nice big picture.
            Why would she always be on the cool side?
            It might be that it is too warm, not all boas want 85°F ambient warm side and 92°F hot spot. Butter prefers a nice balance of 86-85°F warm side ambient, 89-88°F hot spot, 82-78° cool side (day-night)

Do you only have enough "safety" like hides and branches on the cool side? Because she is young she might not feel safe to venture to the warm side.

Is there more light on the warm side?

Does she go to the warm side at night under the cover of darkness?

Comment

She has hides and branches both side ill try turning the light off that will drop the hot side temps sorry about the pics
              Attached Files

Comment

She's definitely hypo, but not a sunglow. She would need to be albino in addition to the hypo to be a sunglow.

Comment

Also, hypos have a dramatic color change (dark phase / light phase). The best time to see light phase is in the middle of the night to the wee hours of morning. They will change color based on mood, temps, digestion, temperature, etc.

Comment

Like acephantom903, I'm also thinking that when you are seeing your snake ALWAYS on the cool side that the warm side is too warm. Glad the 'black area' may just be normal color changes too! whew!

Comment

HYPO Ok thanks alot iev had her about 4months shes still not a fan of being handeled still no hissing or nipping but just wants to get away and shes terrified of my face not that I blame her sorry about no pics still tryen to figure that out. im not sure cause her head was real dark now its normal I worry alot too about any little thing so i appreciate it

Comment

"Worrying" means that you care...that's a good thing, IMO!

We are pretty scary (potential predators) as far as our snakes are concerned...but patience usually pays off.

Comment

I didn't remember that there are certain color morphs which have almost color changes. I knew that Hog Island boas go through daily color changes, but I wasn't sure about others. It takes time to get them used to your face, just be careful not to get nipped. Just take it slow with her to get her used to being handled. When they are young they like to explore. If you hold her in your lap with a towel so she can get used to being held. You can watch TV with her, just keep aware of where she is... Butter slipped away from me in the 3rd week of having her because I thought I felt her but didn't visually check for a minute and when I did visually check, she wasn't there. 30 minutes of cautiously removing everything from the area looking for her before I found her... she went to the window to look at the animal outside.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new family member.

Most of your questions have already been addressed, so all I'll say is you'd be surprised how much these critters move around when you're not looking!

Comment

Working...
                            X