**updated** letter for your congressperson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **updated** letter for your congressperson

we all need to start contacting our represntatives in the house of representatives in order to put a halt to this baseless legislation...

feel free to use this letter i put together... copy and paste it, then add the name of your congressperson (don't forget to change congressman to congresswoman if appropriate), then add your name at the bottom.

if you're not sure how to find who represents you, follow this link.

DON'T DELAY

Congressman ,

Please oppose HR2811

Also known as "the python ban," HR2811 would add all snakes from the genus 'python' to the Lacey Act, which would, in effect, ban all importation, interstate transport, sale or trade of these snakes. It has also recently been amended to include boa constrictors and anacondas.

This bill is backed by the Humane Society of the United States, as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services and the South Florida Water Management District.

Please don’t let the big names of the proponents of this bill fool you into thinking their claims are legitimate. Their reasoning for such legislation is based on a less-than scientifically sound United States Geological Survey (USGS) study that claims the Burmese python in particular could spread to inhabit the southern third of the United States, and that the other aforementioned “giant constrictors” may pose a similar threat.

These claims are false.

Anyone who keeps such “giant constrictors” could tell you that they require VERY specific temperature and humidity levels to thrive and successfully reproduce in captivity. In the wild, there are many additional factors that need to be considered in order to make an educated assertion concerning the viability of any of the species becoming established.

To illustrate this, a recent study done by researchers at the City University of New York used 19 different variables (compared to the 2 the USGS study used) that would contribute to the long term survival of Burmese pythons. It was determined that, in all likelihood, the Burmese python could not survive long-term much farther north than southern Florida.

That makes this a problem for Florida to deal with. The U.S. House of Representatives is not the place to settle this; it should be handled within the State of Florida.

The only effect this needless legislation would have for the other 49 states is to put hard-working Americans out of a job, and decimate a now-thriving 3 billion dollar per year industry.

For these reasons, I would urge a 'no' vote when HR2811 comes before the House for a full vote.

Thank you for your time and service.

Respectfully,

Re: **updated** letter for your congressperson

Bump....

Comment

Another Good even better letter Chris. I'll probably use this letter and provide
      an URL Link to the PDF study by the Barkers.
      Which goes into full detail about this issue

----------------------------------------------------------
      Here is some information I suggest everyone read. This will help assist us
      with knowledge and ammunition for any letters that may need writing

Here is an excellent paper written by Dave & Tracy Barker about the so called
      Florida and American Python problem.

This paper addresses the issue fully and completely

Read the below PDF Doc it covers S 373 thus also HR 2811

Click on Linked Red text

On Burmese Pythons in the Everglades

David G. Barker and Tracy M. Barker

________---------------_____________----------------------_______

Excerpt from the paper

Is the Burmese python an invasive species?
      No. We have it on presidential authority that the Burmese
      python in Florida is not an invasive species. They
      can be correctly identified as an “exotic species,” or an
      “established exotic,” a “non-native species,” or even an
      “alien species.” They are not by legal definition an invasive
      species.
      Presidential Order 13112, signed into law by President
      Bill Clinton on February 3, 1999, and titled Invasive
      Species, provides the following definition [Section 1 (f)]:
      “invasive species means an alien species whose introduction
      does or is likely to cause economic or environmental
      harm, or harm to human health.”

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks for the compliment, lar.

I just hope people use it! Otherwise it was a waste of time

I'm about halfway through that vpi report. GREAT stuff! It TOTALLY addresses the primary arguments for hr2811!

WHY on EARTH weren't they testifying at the hearing?!?! Was that Wyatt's call? I can't imagine they would have turned an opportunity like that down; were they even asked?

Comment

I used it thanks for putting it together

Comment

Thanks a lot man, I will definately put it to use. In my store I come into contact with 50+ snake owners a week I know will sign this. Do you think I should have them sign there own copy of the letter or sign an attached page so that my congressman isn't recieving mulitiple copies of the same letter?

Comment

Originally posted by jdataco View Post
              In my store I come into contact with 50+ snake owners a week I know will sign this. Do you think I should have them sign there own copy of the letter or sign an attached page so that my congressman isn't recieving mulitiple copies of the same letter?
              ideally they should use it as an example and personalize it. i understand many people don't have - or don't care enough to make - the time to do this, though, so we'll take what we can get.

i would say have them sign an attached signing sheet (petition-like, with name/address).

i don't like form letters for the most part. i know that personally if i recieved 500 letters, each identical to the last but with a different signature, i'd be much less inclined to be swayed by it than if i recieved 100 unique and personal letters. it's too easy for an organization to make a form letter, have a crapload of people sign their own copy and make it look like there are more people opposed to something than there really are.

maybe that's just me, but i don't want it to look like we're all operating under the direction of a single special-interest organization. we're all individuals who will be effected by this in unique ways.

keep us updated with how it goes for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                I'll ... provide
                an URL Link to the PDF study by the Barkers.
                Which goes into full detail about this issue

----------------------------------------------------------
                Here is some information I suggest everyone read. This will help assist us
                with knowledge and ammunition for any letters that may need writing

Here is an excellent paper written by Dave & Tracy Barker about the so called
                Florida and American Python problem.

This paper addresses the issue fully and completely

Read the below PDF Doc it covers S 373 thus also HR 2811

Click on Linked Red text

On Burmese Pythons in the Everglades

David G. Barker and Tracy M. Barker
                just about finished it....

here's one of my favorite quotes from it so far:

(in regard to s373, but also VERY appropriate for hr2811)

"The terrible legislative solution that has been proposed
                in calculated response to a campaign of purposeful fearmongering
                and propaganda desperately needs to be moderated
                by a conservative and objective assessment of what
                has actually happened, and the reality of the disastrous
                consequences of the proposal being considered. We fear
                that all the decades of important work by reptile keepers
                and professional herpetoculturists will be pushed aside in
                the rush to “legislate for the public good” when the legislation
                that is considered is tyrannical, offensive, anticonservation,
                anti-education, and anti-American."

SUCK ON THAT, HSUS!

Comment

Hopefully some of my customers will care enough to do more than just sign the petition. Most of them don't have a clue what HR2811 is!

Comment

let's bump this one up, too.

i don't think many of you realize yet how important this is.

i hope it doesn't take the end of our hobby to get it through your thick skulls...

Comment

Just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I haven't done anything-unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to write letters and send faxes which I thought was pretty darn important so I haven't posted anything until now.
                      Letters and faxes and phone calls done from this little herper in South Mississippi.....
                      http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by zamora View Post
                        Just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I haven't done anything-unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to write letters and send faxes which I thought was pretty darn important so I haven't posted anything until now.
                        Letters and faxes and phone calls done from this little herper in South Mississippi.....
                        thanks, zam!

as far as people posting here what they've done, you're right: it's not the important part! it's great if they do, but i'd rather they actually DO it than post here, so don't worry about

Comment

bump it up

Comment

Sent. And thanks!

Comment

Got this back via e-mail today from the office of George Radanovich (R) 19th CA dist. and one exactly like it from Dennis Cardoza (D) 18th CA dist.
                              I'm gonna print out the letters today and mail them to the CA and DC officed of both.

Dear Mr. Robbins:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 2811. I appreciate hearing from you on this legislation.

On June 10, 2009, Representative Kendrick Meek (D-FL) introduced H.R. 2811, which includes constrictor snakes of the species Python genera as an injurious animal. Injurious species under federal criminal code are prohibited from being shipped or imported into the United States.

Currently, H.R. 2811 is pending in the House Judiciary Committee. Rest assured, if I have the opportunity to vote on this bill, I will keep your concerns in mind.

Finally, I encourage you to visit my website at Congressman George Radanovich to get the most current information on my work in Congress.Once again, thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch.

-Sean in NoCal
                              “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                              -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
                              X