Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone NOT done this yet?

**updated** letter for your congressperson
    we all need to start contacting our represntatives in the house of representatives in order to put a halt to this baseless legislation...

feel free to use this letter i put together... copy and paste it, then add the name of your congressperson (don't forget to change congressman to congresswoman if appropriate), then add your name at the bottom.

if you're not sure how to find who represents you, follow this link: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

DON'T DELAY

Congressman ,

Please oppose HR2811

Also known as "the python ban," HR2811 would add all snakes from the genus 'python' to the Lacey Act, which would, in effect, ban all importation, interstate transport, sale or trade of these snakes. It has also recently been amended to include boa constrictors and anacondas.

This bill is backed by the Humane Society of the United States, as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services and the South Florida Water Management District.

Please don’t let the big names of the proponents of this bill fool you into thinking their claims are legitimate. Their reasoning for such legislation is based on a less-than scientifically sound United States Geological Survey (USGS) study that claims the Burmese python in particular could spread to inhabit the southern third of the United States, and that the other aforementioned “giant constrictors” may pose a similar threat.

These claims are false.

Anyone who keeps such “giant constrictors” could tell you that they require VERY specific temperature and humidity levels to thrive and successfully reproduce in captivity. In the wild, there are many additional factors that need to be considered in order to make an educated assertion concerning the viability of any of the species becoming established.

To illustrate this, a recent study done by researchers at the City University of New York used 19 different variables (compared to the 2 the USGS study used) that would contribute to the long term survival of Burmese pythons. It was determined that, in all likelihood, the Burmese python could not survive long-term much farther north than southern Florida.

That makes this a problem for Florida to deal with. The U.S. House of Representatives is not the place to settle this; it should be handled within the State of Florida.

The only effect this needless legislation would have for the other 49 states is to put hard-working Americans out of a job, and decimate a now-thriving 3 billion dollar per year industry.

For these reasons, I would urge a 'no' vote when HR2811 comes before the House for a full vote.

Thank you for your time and service.

Respectfully,
    Last edited by dangles; 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM. Reason: Added missing link

Re: Anyone NOT done this yet?

I've written to my rep.

Comment

Done. Thanks again for all your hard work Chris.
      http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Already did but please everybody get this in motion! This is a real deal and it scares the hell out of me!

Comment

......BUMP............

C'mon guys... Chris couldn't have made it any easier on us!!!

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

That is a very well written professional letter. I like how it is backed by research. Really shows you did your homework. Thank you for allowing us to use it. I will get it out to my reps tomorrow, NJ where I am from and ME where I am currently living for school. Well and PA too since I am planning on moving there after graduation. Thank you!

Comment

Done and thanks Chris!
                http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Bump TTT let's do this folks,it only takes a few minutes to do.

Comment

I just sent the letter to my Maine and NJ reps. I guess I can't do PA since I don't have an address there?

Comment

I just faxed and emailed just about every politician in my state!

Comment

gonna keep pushin this until people DO IT

Comment

I got so many replies"I am only a state representative" I told them I just want to get the word out to you and who you know!!!! Got to tell everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by HopingForBabies View Post
                            I got so many replies"I am only a state representative" I told them I just want to get the word out to you and who you know!!!! Got to tell everyone!
                            have you been getting ahold of the representatives for your STATE house of representatives or the federal house of representatives?

Comment

Both! I emailed and faxed.

Comment

Working...
                              X