Article in Playboy about the Burmese Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article in Playboy about the Burmese Problem

An article has been printed in Playboy Magazine about the Burmese Python and problems with politics in Florida. Jonathan Brady was kind enough to scan this puppy so we could read it without buying the magazine. The article is overall really good I think. It tells most of the truth about the problem and the non-existent solutions. Here is a link to the article:

Article Link:

I never thought I would ever link to an article in Playboy.

theboaphile.com
    boaphileplastics.com

Re: Article in Playboy about the Burmese Problem

Its a good article I wish it or articles like this would get published else where
    in every Newspaper and magazine out there. Hunting and fishing Mags plus in
    the big popular mags ,People , etc...

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

It's an awesome article! Thanks for sharing Jeff!

I wouldn't understimate Playboys demographic. They are young, intelligent, affluent and VERY political!!

This is definitely a good thing for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY SHOOTER View Post

I wouldn't understimate Playboys demographic. They are young, intelligent, affluent and VERY political!!

Precisely.

Comment

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing that one Jeff.
          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY SHOOTER View Post

While I agree with your assesment of Playboy's demos, the mag itself is still suffering from the stigmas associated with it's other content. In my former life I was a Playboy subscriber. I did read every one I ever received for the entire 5 yrs. After, of course, carefully studying the pictoral content. If we could get something like this picked up by the national media or a more "respectable" publication, it would be a very good thing for us. As it is, the polititians (many of whom probably read Playboy...) will easily dismiss this article because of where it appeared.

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
            Its a good article I wish it or articles like this would get published else where
            in every Newspaper and magazine out there. Hunting and fishing Mags plus in
            the big popular mags ,People , etc...
            I agree. it's a great article that, I think, really shows the situation for what it is and gives a counter point to the media frenzy that Bill Nelson has stirred up. Too bad it will be dismissed for being in Playboy.

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

definitely a great article. but you're right, sean. it will likely be dismissed due to playboy's reputation.

i did, however, forward the link to david braun - the natgeo guy

Comment

I know this is going to sound terrible but my girlfriend and I were talking the other day.

So I told her the one way to control the burms down here is to create a recipe to eat them. I know it sounds terrible but listen. Alligator is actually good to eat and when ever someone comes up with a good food recipe like blackend redfish, the species becomes threaten. Amberjack was never a fish sough after until someone made a good dish and now you can't find them anymore. The FWCC regulates every fish and I mean EVERY fish meaning they need to be a certain size or time on the year you can harvest them. Maybe this is just crazy for me to think this but I am sure there are crazier ideas out there.

Comment

Great article, thanks Jeff. Although Playboy may be looked down upon by many, I think it is the most widely read publication among politicians. Hopefully NatGeo will follow suit with a similar article. I have always appreciated the articles in Playboy and I don't understand why so many people would dismiss it just because there are naked pictures in the pages following the article. A good piece of journalism is a good piece of journalism, regardless of what's published beside it.
                  http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

I actually think it's excellent that an article like this appeared in Playboy. They are a HUGE global brand that people recognize and that many "read just for the articles." I know several women that started reading the magazine just because of The Girls Next Door TV show! Sure it doesn't carry much scientific merit, but if the article appeals to readers, which it will, then inevitably you're raising awareness of the problem. Popularity does wonders for politics (e.g. Jesse Ventura, The "Governator"). You don't even need to have a political background to make it as long as you're popular.

Comment

Originally posted by jhsulliv View Post
                      Sure it doesn't carry much scientific merit, but if the article appeals to readers, which it will, then inevitably you're raising awareness of the problem. Popularity does wonders for politics (e.g. Jesse Ventura, The "Governator"). You don't even need to have a political background to make it as long as you're popular.
                      And at this point, it's the court of public opinion we're in....

-Sean in NoCal
                      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by follow View Post
                        I know this is going to sound terrible but my girlfriend and I were talking the other day.

So I told her the one way to control the burms down here is to create a recipe to eat them. I know it sounds terrible but listen. Alligator is actually good to eat and when ever someone comes up with a good food recipe like blackend redfish, the species becomes threaten. Amberjack was never a fish sough after until someone made a good dish and now you can't find them anymore. The FWCC regulates every fish and I mean EVERY fish meaning they need to be a certain size or time on the year you can harvest them. Maybe this is just crazy for me to think this but I am sure there are crazier ideas out there.
                        The "Python Hunters" of Florida are having enough trouble finding them as it is. The article makes several references to this such as a snake that was electronically tagged and after following the signal they still did not notice the snake at their feet. Tom Crutchfield states the futility of the hunt to the author as they drive along the highway looking at the embankment for pythons. No recipe is going to make these snakes easier to find, but the idea of dulling peoples fear by encouraging them to see it as just another animal or food source very interesting. In the end though, I don't think it serves the purpose of those who wish to keep these animals as pets. I think playing on the 'don't let them take your pet' angle is much more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
                          The "Python Hunters" of Florida are having enough trouble finding them as it is. The article makes several references to this such as a snake that was electronically tagged and after following the signal they still did not notice the snake at their feet. Tom Crutchfield states the futility of the hunt to the author as they drive along the highway looking at the embankment for pythons. No recipe is going to make these snakes easier to find, but the idea of dulling peoples fear by encouraging them to see it as just another animal or food source very interesting. In the end though, I don't think it serves the purpose of those who wish to keep these animals as pets. I think playing on the 'don't let them take your pet' angle is much more effective.
                          I agree with you. It was just a crazy conversation I was having with her the other day.

You know the funny thing is everytime I go to the Everglades or atleast the past two times in the winter months, I have seen them on the side of the main road. I saw two one time and one the next. I guess I was just lucky.

Comment

Wow that was a good article. I don't understand why politicians try to pull such crap, they are so uneducated about animals. And so is the general public so like dumbasses they allow themselves to be brainwashed by this crap. How can American people be so ignorant? That's just how wolves were almost wiped out many years ago and now they can't control the deer populations so people have to go around murdering deer. Human beings are the cause of all chaos and ruin to the ecosystem. Why do people blame the animals. Grrrrr! Sorry, this stuff just really pisses me off!

Thank you for sharing the article, hopefully people will read it and change their minds about the python "scare"

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this article.

The Playboy readership has proven to be quite a political voice in the past. They are affluent, sophisticated, socially conscious and quite active in the political process.

Playboy authors have won numerous awards for investigative journalism. Many other media will use articles that started in Playboy. IMO, Playboy journalists are the last vestige of "beat reporters" in print media.

I mean just the sheer volume of the circulation should have you jumpin for joy. Three million copies per month in the US?!?

In the court of public opinion this helps us a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X