Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank God there are still some good ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God there are still some good ones.

I am glad to see that even during the holiday season some find the time to respond.
    December 1, 2009

Mr. Samuel Bearden
    98 Elmwood Avenue
    Ladson, South Carolina 29456

Dear Mr. Bearden:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern for H.R. 2811, the bill to regulate the importation and interstate transportation of pythons. As we move through the 111th Congress, it is important for me to know my constituents' concerns, and your correspondence certainly helps in that regard.

As you may know, H.R. 2811, the bill to amend Title 18 of the U.S. Code to include constrictor snakes of the species Python genera as an injurious animal, was introduced in the House by Rep. Kendrick Meek of Florida on June 10, 2009. As indicated in its' title, this bill would amend the federal criminal code to add the Python to the list of injurious species that are prohibited from being shipped or imported into the United States. At this time, H.R. 2811 is with the House Judiciary Committee.

As you mentioned in your letter, there is currently an issue with released pythons in the Florida Everglades. However, like you, I do not believe this legislation will solve the issues at hand. In addition, I do not think this is the time to place more restrictions on a 3 billion dollar a year industry. Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should H.R. 2811 or similar legislation come to the House floor for a vote. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever you have concerns about any issue under consideration in Congress.
    Sincerely,
    J. Gresham Barrett
    Member of Congress
    Yes this is from the 2811 call in and fax push but hell at least I got a response. An awesome one at that in my opinion.

Re: Thank God there are still some good ones.

Good stuff man good stuff......

Comment

That's what the reptile community needs for support, someone looking at the big picture of all issues with this bill.
      2nd Alarm Reptiles
      Pastels "R" Us
      http://2ndalarmreptiles.com

Viiper (Virginians Interested In Protecting Every Reptile)

Comment

Very awesome, why can't everyone be the same

Comment

Good job on doing something.

Comment

I'm very surprised that you got a response that long and detailed. Hopefully lots of congressman realize the same thing, this bill isn't going to fix anything (kind of like BSL), and it would certainly hurt a lot of people economically.
            http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

thats awesome man i hope some more congress man/women come around

Comment

That is awesome, good job

Comment

This is good to hear. ...but we need more than one on our side.

Keep calling and faxing!

Comment

Working...
                  X