No announcement yet.

S373: Let's kick it up a notch! BAM!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S373: Let's kick it up a notch! BAM!!!

*S373: Sen. Nelson Won't Honor Commitment
    USARK has received letters from Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) and Democratic majority Environment & Public Works (EPW) Committee Staff indicating that they will not honor commitments to work with us in regards to S373 aka ‘The Python Ban’. USARK has offered up a number of amendments to mitigate the effects of S373 on the captive bred reptile industry, including a moratorium on import until more definitive science can determine weather a Lacey Act listing is actually necessary. This would have amounted to what is known as a “sunset clause”. Apparently Democrats on the Committee feel they have the political momentum to ignore science in favor of political expediency. Justification for these draconian measures is predicated on the discredited USGS report on 9 large constricting snakes.

Democrat Staff are working on an amendment for tomorrows ‘Mark Up’ hearing that would “amend S373 to include the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report”. It will be offered tomorrow. What is unclear is whether that means the bill will be ‘limited’ to the 9, or ‘include’ the 9. If it is ‘limited’ to the 9 it would target the large snakes including Boa Constrictor. If it ‘includes’ the 9, that could mean all of the large snakes, but also ALL the other pythons. As of yet there has been no language shared to clarify what they will actually attempt.

This utter disregard for good science in favor of political expediency continues to be pushed by the Humane Society of the United States. They see this as an opportunity to destroy the Reptile Nation. They have had unfettered access to Senator Nelson’s (D-FL) and Senator Cardin’s (D-MD) offices through sympathetic staff members.

EPW Committee Ranking Member Jim Inhofe (R-OK) is working hard with USARK to build a coalition Opposing S373 for a fight on the Senate Floor. He is concerned with the obvious “railroading” that is being attempted with a viable sector of the economy to satisfy powerful special interests invested in destroying the captive bred reptile industry. He is also concerned with the lack of evidence to support such drastic and damaging measures. The USGS report has many problems which have been pointed out by scientists with far more acclaim than the authors, but one of the most glaring flaws is the aggressive climate model that the entire report is based on. In addition there have been no provisions made to account for more than 4 million snakes already in captivity that will become valueless overnight if S373 becomes law. S373 is an economic and ecologic disaster in the making.

USARK is doing everything possible to protect the Reptile Nation. Andrew Wyatt has been in Las Vegas raising money and awareness across the country. Todd Willens will be representing USARK in Florida at the Florida Fish & Wildlife Commissioners meeting. Frank Vitello continues his vigilance on ‘The Hill’ and will attend the Senate Mark Up Hearing tomorrow in Washington, DC. We have the back of the Reptile Nation and will continue to do everything in our power to protect our members.

ACTION STEPS:
    1. Contact The Media; Pythons Politics & Destruction of the American Dream Campaign. Click on this link to send a hard hitting email to all the big media outlets: USARK
    2. Contact President Obama. Click on this link to let the President know you oppose S373 and the destruction of American jobs: Contact the White House | The White House
    3. Call & Fax the Senate EPW Committee Today!

Obama Sample Letter: cut and paste in whitehouse contact portal above

President Obama,
    S373 aka the Python Ban is being considered in the Senate right now. It will destroy thousands of jobs and bankrupt thousands of American families. The bill has been sensationalized and politicized and has no basis in real science. In fact a report generated by USGS to justify this bill has been called unscientific by an independent panel of scientists. It is being pushed by powerful special interest groups and it will hurt me financially. It is a confiscation of my personal property rights and will not solve the problems proponents claim it addresses. This is clearly a situation that has become politically driven and ignores science that does not support S373. Please do not allow politics to trump good science and sound policy. This is wrong and you promised in your election campaign not to allow situations like this to occur. Please stop S373.

***Join the Reptile Nation!
    1. Click the 'Donate Button' at the top of the page to donate to USARK. Your donation will be matched dollar for dollar by Zoo Med.
    2. Click the 'Become a Member' link at the bottom of the page to Join the Reptile Nation. These battles are costly we need your support!
    3. Click the 'Twitter Button' at the top of the page to follow USARK for fast breaking updates.

Forward this Alert to everyone you know... your friends, email lists, forums, social networking sites... everyone! This will only work if EVERYONE participates!! We must generate 10's of thousands of responses. Do it now! Go, GO, GO!!!!!

CALL IN DAY:*

Sample:
    My name is _____. I oppose S373. Although I support and appreciate efforts to preserve the Everglades, there is NO evidence to show this bill will have any conservation effect on the Everglades. This bill will hurt American families in our state.*It would Ban the captive bred trade in 40 species of pythons and destroy thousands of jobs in our state and across the country. Scientists have questioned the USGS report being used to justify this extreme proposal. Science should trump political expediency. Please oppose S373.

Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL), (Sponsor S373)
    Phone: 202-224-5274
    Fax: 202-228-2183

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), (Chair EPW)
    Phone: 202-224-3553
    Fax: 202-224-0454

Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK), (Ranking Member EPW)
    Phone: 202-224-4721
    Fax: 202-228-0380

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD), (Chair Water & Wildlife)
    Phone: 202-224-4524
    Fax: 202-224-1651

Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID), (Ranking Member Water & Wildlife)
    Phone: 202-224-6142
    Fax: 202-228-1375

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
    Phone: 202-224-4944
    Fax: 202-228-3398

Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY)
    Phone: 202-224-6441
    Fax: 202-224-1724

Sen. Max Baucus [D-MT]
    Phone: 202-224-2651
    Fax: 202-224-9412

Sen. Christopher (Kit) Bond [R-MO]
    Phone: 202-224-5721

Sen. Thomas Carper [D-DE]
    Phone: 202-224-2441
    Fax: 202-228-2190

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY]
    Phone: 202-224-4451
    Fax: 202-228-0282

Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
    Phone: 202-224-3244
    fax: 202-228-2186

Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D-NJ]
    Phone: 202-224-3224
    Fax: 202-228-4054

Sen. Jeff Merkley [D-OR]
    Phone: 202-224-3753
    Fax: 202-228-3997

Sen. Bernard (Bernie) Sanders [I-VT]
    Phone: 202-224-5141
    Fax: 202-228-0776

Sen. Arlen Specter [D-PA]
    Phone: 202-224-4254
    Fax: 202-228-1229

Sen. Tom Udall [D-NM]
    Phone: 202-224-6621

Sen. David Vitter [R-LA]
    Phone: 202-224-4623
    Fax: 202-228-5061

Sen. George Voinovich [R-OH]
    Phone: 202-224-3353

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]
    Phone: 202-224-2921
    Fax: 202-228-6362

usark.org Unsubscribe Become a Member Donate Developed by
    Site Control 24/7
    Last edited by dangles; 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM. Reason: needed a better title

Re: Senator Nelson Lied about S373!!!

I just got the email myself and was about to post it.

You know, I have done everything I can from writting letters to contacting News outlets down here in Florida. I joined USARK and am spreading the word on facebook. Why do I feel so helpless in this? It is like they have made up their minds already no matter what.

Comment

As pissed as I was when I got the email I wasn't surprised. Kendrick Meek's office told me I was wasting my time when I called them about HR2811 and that he would vote for what was best for the state of Florida. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

It is disheartening, but don't let it dampen your spirits. If anything it should only strengthen our fight and our desire to prevail. We know who we are up against - it makes the fight that much more challenging, but we can't give up. We need to keep pushing, because they sure as hell aren't going to back down. We need to show Meek and Nelson that no fight is a waist of time.

Comment

bump this up...

this is not good news at all...

EVEN MORE REASON TO KICK IT UP A NOTCH!

Comment

Originally posted by follow View Post
          I just got the email myself and was about to post it.

You know, I have done everything I can from writting letters to contacting News outlets down here in Florida. I joined USARK and am spreading the word on facebook. Why do I feel so helpless in this? It is like they have made up their minds already no matter what.
          I know how you feel.
          We got to keep fighting with every way we can.

Comment

I am not surprised by this. I knew Nelson was going to cave in and go back on his word.
            It was obvious when they didn't change the wording before the hearing to begin with.
            Hopefully the big guns will come out knock this thing out and make it clear to
            all Sen & Reps that it would be a huge mistake to ratify any of this
            language set forth in the proposed Legislation

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Re: S373: Let's kick it up a notch! BAM!!!

i just called his office (had to leave a message) and sent him another email...

Senator Nelson,

I appreciate your efforts to protect the Everglades National Park, but S373 is not the most effective way to accomplish this.

I would urge you to take a closer look at the evidence for and against this bill, specifically the study published by researchers at the City University of New York that directly refutes the claims made by the USGS report concerning the spread of the Burmese python.

Comparing the CUNY study and the USGS report side by side, how can one possibly walk away still convinced that the Burmese python poses any threat whatsoever to the rest of the nation?

For whatever reason, S373 supporters have turned a blind eye to hard science in favor of a politically motivated 'research study' that is obviously and fundamentally flawed.

This has even been pointed out by leading biologists and herpetologists who have an astonishingly greater knowledge base than the authors of the USGS reports.

So please, Senator, reconsider your stance on this bill. The reptile community has reached out a hand of assistance to you in regards to the issue you are facing in the Everglades, but rather than accepting our help, you have instead proposed scientifically unfounded legislation that would decimate our livelihood.

Respectfully,
              Chris DeLange

Comment

Here is a point addressed by Dr.Booth that we have not considered
                CNUY - Pyron , . Burbrink , Guiher Report only addresses the first USGS Junk science report

Posted by: Warren_Booth at Wed Dec 9 13:49:41 2009
                I believe you are either not aware of or do not understand that there is a new study entitled: Giant constrictors: Biological and management profiles of an establishment risk assessment for nine large species of pythons, Anacondas, and Boa constrictors. (2009) Authors: Reed R. & Rodda G. Here is a link to it: http://www.usark.org/uploads/USGS%20...ent%202009.pdf

http://www.usark.org/uploads/USGS Ri...sment 2009.pdf

This 323 page report was published within the last two months. As a reuslt, the establishment of funding resources, data, and time sufficient to result in a scientifically credible, externally peer-reviewed, published report is not possible.

The paper you are thinking of from last year is: What parts of the US mainland are climatically suitable for invasive alien pythons spreading from Everglades National Park? Authors: G Rodda, C Jarnevich, and R Reed.
                This paper, externally peer-reviewed and published in Biological invasions was widely publicized in the media. However, in August of 2008 this paper was proven over simplistic in a paper entitled: Claims of Potential Expansion throughout the U.S. by
                Invasive Python Species Are Contradicted by Ecological
                Niche Models, by Pyron et al., in the externally peer reviewed online access journal PloS ONE

There are a number of issues here. 1) As much as I and I am sure many others would like to drop everything to re-analyze the data sets, if made available by Rodda and Reed, we also have dedicated research projects that we are tied to, and funded by.
                2) Science cannot always move at a pace that everyone would like it to. The fact that I may have a manuscript ready does not mean it will be out any time soon. For example, I recently published a paper in the Journal of Zoology regarding population genetic structure of a small mammal species capable of high disperal. I completed this paper in 2008. It was submitted to the journal December 5th 2008. We recieved reviews and revisions on June
                1st 2009. Our revisions were accepted June 2nd 2009 and it was published November 2009. So, with that said, I had the research complete and the scientific manuscript written in December 2008 (afer a number of years of data collection, DNA fingerprinting, analysis, etc), and it still took 1 year to have published in a peer reviewed internationally recognized journal.
                You expect scientists to instantly digest a 323 page report, replicate or reanalyze data, write,submit and publish within 2 months. Surely even you can see this is highly unrealistic.

Also, one last comment. I take offense at your comment that the academic/scientific community is not blameless. Not every scientist conducts such poor scientific practices as Rodda and Reed. Please have your facts straight before making such a ridiculous statement.

Warren
                -----
                Dr Warren Booth / Director USARK
                North Carolina State University
                Department of Entomology

Last edited by Boa Amarali; 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM.

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I'm getting more pissed every day about this. We cannot let S373 pass! In the short term, it means the end of breeding large snakes. However, in the long term, it means the end of any reptile husbandry period unless you work in the reptile house at the zoo. If the government can ramrod a bill like this through, what animal is next after all the snakes are outlawed? Birds, tropical fish, BSL that totally outlaws any working breed dog, etc.

The possibilities are endless as to what the government can take away without any real scientific evidence if S373 passes. It will send a strong message to HSUS, PETA, and other similar groups that all it takes is enough donation money and they can outlaw whatever they choose. For the sake of our rights, I really hope everybody is doing everything they can to assure S373 is a big flop. We need to get the point across to these animal rights whackos that they better have some justification the next time they try to pull something like this. Get your phones out, start hammering away at your keyboards and do whatever it takes to ensure S373 does not pass!
                  http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

I don't know how accurate this is, but I found it after being told how dangerous big snakes are, and should be owned privately
                    http://www.rexano.org/Statistics/Constrictor_Captive_Snake_Fatality.pdf
                    http://www.rexano.org/Statistics/Dea...nimal_2005.pdf
                    There were 23 dog attack fatalities for 2008

Gotta love statistics

Comment

Originally posted by minguss View Post
                      I don't know how accurate this is, but I found it after being told how dangerous big snakes are, and should be owned privately
                      http://www.rexano.org/Statistics/Constrictor_Captive_Snake_Fatality.pdf
                      http://www.rexano.org/Statistics/Dea...nimal_2005.pdf
                      There were 23 dog attack fatalities for 2008

Gotta love statistics
                      I actually created thread a few days ago about human fatalities - you might find it of interest. Check it out here. Some interesting info - especially with regards to how few people die each year in the coils of their large constrictors compared to other animals.

Comment

I know you may be getting burned out by all this, but I can tell you for SURE, senator nelson and HSUS are not resting!

Comment

heres another one i dont know if any one else has posted buti t was easy and hits all your local politicians

Stop The National Python & Boa Ban | The National Pet Association |

Comment

Great statistics page

USA: Captive Constrictor (Non - Venomous) Snakes Statistics Human Fatalities
                            REXANO, Rexano, Responsible Exotic Animal Ownership, only used fatality numbers since all deaths are (supposed to be) reported, and there is only one degree of death. The average life expectancy of 77 years was used to calculate the lifetime odds.
                            Table 1: Yearly Average and Lifetime odds of Being Killed by a Captive Constrictor Snake in the USA Based on 1990 – 2008 data
                            Number of captive constrictor snakes related human fatalities in the USA: 1990 - December 2008*
                            Average Human Deaths per Year
                            One - Year Odds**
                            1 in 691,590,909
                            Lifetime Odds**
                            1 in 8,981,700
                            *Based on news and animal industry reports
                            **Based on the current US population of 304,300,000

Lar M
                            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

nice stats!

Comment

Working...
                              X