Not good.Anyone want to buy some ball pythons.:(:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not good.Anyone want to buy some ball pythons.:(:(

Got this email early this morning from USARK.

PR: Python Ban Moves Forward Despite Questionable Science
    December 10, 2009 Wilmington, NC- Driven by powerful special interests and much media sensation S. 373 aka ‘The Python Ban’ is likely to move forward despite lack of scientific justification. Pushed by Sponsor Senator Bill Nelson and the Humane Society of the United States S. 373 could devastate the trade in high quality captive bred reptiles in the United States.

Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) will hold a business meeting on S. 373. The Committee Chair is Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and the Ranking Member is Senator James Inhofe (R-OK). The committee will hold a mark up session where they will consider S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. The committee is expected to amend the bill to include the 9 snakes listed on a recent controversial report by the US Geological Survey (USGS). All tolled the bill could stop the import, export and interstate transport of as many as 45 species of Boas and Pythons.

The USGS report being used to justify these extreme measures has been called into question by a group of independent scientists in a letter to the EPW Committee on November 24, 2009. The letter characterized the USGS report as “not a bona-fide scientific paper”. The US Department of the Interior (DOI) and the US Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) stand by the report and have recommended to the committee that all 9 snakes reviewed should be included by amendment to S. 373. The independent scientists, who include professors from University of Florida, Arizona State University, Texas A&M and The National Geographic Society, go further to state, “this document is not suitable as the basis for legislative or regulatory policies, as its content is not based on best science practices”

The United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) made an agreement in principle with Senator Bill Nelson’s office to limit the damage to a 3 billion dollar a year trade in these reptiles, but was informed yesterday that the agreement would not be honored. Senator Nelson has justified his position based on the recommendations made in regards to the USGS report by USFWS and DOI. Andrew Wyatt, president of USARK, commented that “it is a real shame that Senator Nelson has changed his position on this issue”. If the bill passes approximately 4 million boas and pythons already in captivity would be rendered valueless overnight with no provisions for disposition or compensation. Wyatt added, “it could create a situation where millions of people will be in possession of injurious wildlife. It is ludicrous to put so many law abiding citizens in that position and diminish the Lacey Act for the sake of political expediency.”

Passage of S. 373 would result in the loss of thousands of American jobs bankrupting an entire industry. Without strong evidence to support the injurious wildlife listing, USARK calls on the Senate EPW Committee to give an unfavorable rating to S. 373.

Andrew Wyatt

[email protected]

Re: Not good.Anyone want to buy some ball pythons.

This makes me sick to my stomach I mean litterally I feel like puking
    I'm a freak'n nervous wreck !!!!

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I know brother, I got the same email too and my heart dropped. I can't believe all of this crap.

Comment

ya this is crazy we can only hope and pray something happens we tried out hardest and hopefully it comes through in the end

Comment

I think I'm going to throw up---AND I just sent my deposit off yesterday for my new girl.

Going underground if necessary--anyone want to come?
          http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

This doesn't look good, or sound go, and unfortunately (in all honesty) it's likely that this will come to pass, but we need to stay focused. We need to keep fighting this. Even if the big 9 are added today we still need to keep fighting and trying to turn the tide in our favor. There is always a chance of victory as long as we fight.

This isn't over until it's over, and I'm not going down without fighting this until the very end. As long as we fight we have a chance. And as long as I'm breathing I'm going to stand up against this.

So let's keep it together and keep fighting. This is a road block, but not the end of the line.

Fight!

Comment

wow....simply WOW. What makes me even madder is how these bigshot people can play with other peoples lives like this...how with the snap of the finger to prove to the little ones that THEY are the all mighty and powerful one that sit in their chair and can shut down EVERYONE in this hobby/business JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. KNOWING how many bigtime businesses and moms and pops stores are going to go belly up due to depending on others to purchases their product...it just CHAPS MY HIDE!!!

sorry
              Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
                This makes me sick to my stomach I mean litterally I feel like puking
                I'm a freak'n nervous wreck !!!!
                Me. Too.

Originally posted by zamora View Post
                I think I'm going to throw up---AND I just sent my deposit off yesterday for my new girl.

Going underground if necessary--anyone want to come?
                Me. Too. (except he's a boy) This doesn't change my plans one iota. It just means I'm going to have to invest in a General Lee-mobile for snake-runnin'.

Originally posted by MLynch View Post
                This doesn't look good, or sound go, and unfortunately (in all honesty) it's likely that this will come to pass, but we need to stay focused. We need to keep fighting this. Even if the big 9 are added today we still need to keep fighting and trying to turn the tide in our favor. There is always a chance of victory as long as we fight.

This isn't over until it's over, and I'm not going down without fighting this until the very end. As long as we fight we have a chance. And as long as I'm breathing I'm going to stand up against this.

So let's keep it together and keep fighting. This is a road block, but not the end of the line.

Fight!

If and when this passes, which isn't a certainty, there are many options to try to address this issue going forward. "Never give up; Never surrender!" (that's from Galaxy Quest )

Originally posted by BigPaPaErnest View Post
                wow....simply WOW. What makes me even madder is how these bigshot people can play with other peoples lives like this...how with the snap of the finger to prove to the little ones that THEY are the all mighty and powerful one that sit in their chair and can shut down EVERYONE in this hobby/business JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. KNOWING how many bigtime businesses and moms and pops stores are going to go belly up due to depending on others to purchases their product...it just CHAPS MY HIDE!!!

sorry
                This has really changed my view of politics, politicians, the democratic process, and Americans as a whole. The fact that a handful of politically motivated pawns can have the power to destroy American families at will without the slightest stir from the American people at large is a travesty. Chalk this potential loss of freedom up to the apathy and dis-involvement of Americans in their own governance.

Comment

wow! ive invested over 5 grand in boas cages food power ect.

I couldnt imagne what this is going to do for Jeff and Clay and All the other big timmers out...

Im moving to where Jeff lives!!!! so i can buy cages and more snakes to still do it as a hobby and for fun.=\

IDK

im at a loss of words. if this goes threw .... THATS THAT??? or what pleease someone tell me...!!! time to smuggle snakes..???...??? would that be a felony if caught?>

I HATE POLITITIONS THEY CAN SUCK MY

Comment

The system is broken. Plain and simple. It has been for a long time.

That being said, this is not ever, not by a long shot. It still needs to pass the entire Senate vote and go over to the House. There is still more work to be done.

No need for the doom and gloom yet. This is actually what we expected to happen, so now it's time to fight harder and dirtier!

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF GIVING UP! DON'T YOU GUYS GIVE UP EITHER!

-Sean in NoCal
                    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

This has really changed my view of politics, politicians, the democratic process, and Americans as a whole. The fact that a handful of politically motivated pawns can have the power to destroy American families at will without the slightest stir from the American people at large is a travesty. Chalk this potential loss of freedom up to the apathy and dis-involvement of Americans in their own governance.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's astounding. I knew the government wasn't quite right, but now this proves it. It angers me that those few people can control what millions of us do in our daily lives. They have no right to tell us what we can and can't do. We are our own entities, we don't belong to them. It's just such an odd concept to me. If somehow the millions of us snake owners could all march together to the white house maybe that would get some attention.

Comment

what scared me the most (not to mention really pissed me off) was when sen boxer said at the end "in order for bills to get this far, they have to have almost unanimous support"

do they pay any attention whatsoever to their phone calls, emails, faxes and letters?

Comment

Yeah i sent this out on the facebook cause last night, make sure you guys join and invite your friends, we're trying to spread the word

Comment

This is far from over. We have to keep fighting and it's going to take every single one of us to make enough noise to be heard. I know it's very disheartening. It is for me too but we can't give up now. We will do whatever it takes.

Comment

Somebody on another forum mentioned something about this Bill stopped dead today
                              Somethimg about "they realiozed there are problems"

Has anybody heard anything about this ?

Lar M
                              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X