Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: S373 Python Ban (email from USARK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: S373 Python Ban (email from USARK)

UPDATE: S373 Python Ban Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) held a business meeting on S. 373. Committee Chair Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Ranking Member Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) presided. After brief statements the committee held a mark up session on S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. Senator Inhofe expressed concerns about the bill. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) offered an amendment to limit the scope of the bill to only the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report on large constrictors. Senator Cardin further agreed to work with Senator Inhofe to improve the bill prior to a vote on the Senate floor. The amendment was passed by voice vote. S373 was then voted out of Committee by voice vote with Senator Inhofe registering a NO vote.
    S373 has now passed committee. It can not become law until it is voted on and passed by the full Senate and House of Representatives. There is still much work to be done prior to the Python Ban becoming law. S373 in its current form in unacceptable to USARK and the Reptile Nation. We will continue to work with Senator Inhofe, Senator Cardin and the EPW Committee Staff to shape the future of this bill. Please make an appointment to visit with your Senator and express your concerns with S373. Everyone needs to step up and make contact with your Senator. Let USARK know about your meeting. It is time to step up our game and show Washington we are serious about this. Continue the good fight. The Reptile Nation thanks Senator Inhofe for his even handed treatment of our industry.
    Following is the statement of Ranking Member James Inhofe (R-OK):
    Regarding S. 373, which is designed to ban the import and export of certain constrictor snakes, I believe we need to follow the process already established, which allows stakeholders to have input. Commonsense reforms are needed to prevent the proliferation, importation or breeding of species that would be harmful to ecosystems or human health and safety. We are setting a dangerous precedent of continuing to address these species outside of normal agency channels. Although I will not be offering an amendment today, I will support efforts on the floor to mitigate the negative effects to those snake owners and breeders who legally acquired their snakes, but through no fault of their own now find that their property is worth nothing.
    S373 has been amended to include ONLY:
    1. Python molurus
    2. Broghammeras reticulatus
    3. Python sebae
    4. Python natalensis
    5. Boa constrictor
    6. Eunectes notaeus
    7. Eunectes deschauenseei
    8. Eunectes murinus
    9. Eunectes beniensis

Re: UPDATE: S373 Python Ban (email from USARK)

Bump

Comment

I feel sick

Comment

It has been a really bad week.

Comment

I don't mean to be "whiny" here, but this is very FRUSTRATING!!!

The amendment they've tacked on to that proposed bill is "very specific" on the pythons/anacondas. It's "VERY" broad range on the Boa Constrictors....

This isn't right!!! Boas can get larger, 10 to 12 feet, but "most" don't. How could Boa Constrictors ever be considered a "giant species?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"
          Also, Boa Constrictor have never "harmed" anyone. OK, I guess people do get bitten, but it's never resulted in a death. How could they ever be considered "dangerous"!?!?!?!?!?!

BTW This proposed bill doesn't look much like a "Python Ban" anymore. It's looking more like a "Boa Ban" from where I'm sitting.

Comment

To me, it looks like a ban on anything but corn snakes. The problem isn't that boas are dangerous, the problem is that HSUS and the media wants people to think boas are dangerous and will do anything in their power to get them banned. This is really making me angry!
            http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Originally posted by b3napoleon View Post
              To me, it looks like a ban on anything but corn snakes. The problem isn't that boas are dangerous, the problem is that HSUS and the media wants people to think boas are dangerous and will do anything in their power to get them banned. This is really making me angry!
              Actually the ban is only the 9 constrictors in the usgs survey. It all has to do with HSUS wanting to abolish pet ownership. They will do whatever they can to achieve this goal

Comment

Originally posted by clsutt29 View Post
                Actually the ban is only the 9 constrictors in the usgs survey. It all has to do with HSUS wanting to abolish pet ownership. They will do whatever they can to achieve this goal
                Actually, from what I'm reading, the ban is for 8 of the large constrictors in the USGS Survey and the "Entire Species/Sub species" that is Boa Constrictor. That would be BCC, BCA, BCI, BCO and whatever other Boa Constrictor species there are. That would include the Dwarf Species of Boa Constrictor as well. So, while they're being "very specific" on what Pythons/Anacondas they want banned. They decided that "EVERY SINGLE BOA CONSTRICTOR" should also be added to the list.

At least, that's the way it reads to me. Please, if I'm wrong, would someone please point that out.

So, that's why I say this ban on Pythons has turned into a ban on Boa Constrictors.

Another thing I fogot to mention. If this ban does go through..... Don't be thinking you can still breed/sell boas in the state you live in. Once they've been declared "injurious" under the Lacey Act.... It will be "illegal" to breed and sell them "anywhere!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post

Another thing I fogot to mention. If this ban does go through..... Don't be thinking you can still breed/sell boas in the state you live in. Once they've been declared "injurious" under the Lacey Act.... It will be "illegal" to breed and sell them "anywhere!!!!"
                  that's actually not the case. I've read the lacey act over and over to make sure, and it, in fact, only prohibits import/export and interstate transport (which would obviously include sales/purchasing). I'll quote it here later on when I'm not on my phone...

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post
                    that's actually not the case. I've read the lacey act over and over to make sure, and it, in fact, only prohibits import/export and interstate transport (which would obviously include sales/purchasing). I'll quote it here later on when I'm not on my phone...
                    If that's true, then a ban of "any" sort would be even more "pointless".

There are hunderds and/or thousands of snake breeder in the United States. There are hobby breeders as well. If our snake are successfully added to this ban, it won't solve anything. It won't stop people from owning/breeding/selling them. It would only stop them from crossing state lines and new ones from coming into the country. So, what "exactly" will be accomplished in passing this ban??? NOTHING!!! Nothing, but hurting those that make a living off breeding and selling them and rely on the extra income derived from being able to sell them to other States/Countries. It won't help out the situation in Florida. It won't stop them from spreading to the lower 1/3 of the US as the HSGS Survey says they'll do. BTW "WE" know that would never happen, but the Survey say it can/will.

We need to fight to stop this ban. It's pointless and WRONG!

Comment

There are hunderds and/or thousands of snake breeder in the United States. There are hobby breeders as well. If our snake are successfully added to this ban, it won't solve anything. It won't stop people from owning/breeding/selling them. It would only stop them from crossing state lines and new ones from coming into the country. So, what "exactly" will be accomplished in passing this ban??? NOTHING!!! Nothing, but hurting those that make a living off breeding and selling them and rely on the extra income derived from being able to sell them to other States/Countries. It won't help out the situation in Florida. It won't stop them from spreading to the lower 1/3 of the US as the HSGS Survey says they'll do. BTW "WE" know that would never happen, but the Survey say it can/will.

you nailed it on the head there, Linda...

Comment

Your exactly right Linda. The federal gov can't control what goes on in each state only transport between states. What will most likely happen is that once they are on the injurious species list the individual states will start putting a complete ban on them

Comment

Exactly don't let logic get in the way with this. This isn't about right or wrong
                          what makes sense or will be good for the people.
                          This is about what HSUS wants and will do to reach their goal of complete
                          abolishment of animals as pets.
                          Plus taking animals as food away from us .
                          As stated by Chris what probably will happen if passed is the individual
                          states will be targeted by HSUS and laws developed to crush each state
                          and make Boas etc... illegal to own breed and sell

This is why its so important to make our Senatoirs aware of this bad legislation
                          Because at this point they are not aware of it
                          Last edited by Boa Amarali; 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM.

Lar M
                          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

HSUS sound like they live in medieval time believing they are "doing God's will". Wish people would be more busy helping the people around them who are in need rather than try to "help the world" by stuffing -their- concept of what's good or bad down everyone's throat.

I sent an email to the white house. Being an Israeli this can either be interesting enough to get some attention... or it will be discarded. I did my best *shrug*

Comment

I know this is bad but the fact here is that we did get one senator to vote no on the bill. The fact that he voted no means he read our emails or at least did some research on the subject. I know I sent in an email to him and strangly enough my email on the last line said that our animals would become worthless over night. I am hoping this is coincidence but none the less he did vote no. I hope that if we do get this into the media that it will change a few more minds. I also hope it isnt to late to stop this ban from happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X