Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I emailed Senator Nelson and check out his response!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I emailed Senator Nelson and check out his response!

I emailed my state senator, who happens to be Bill Nelson, and this is the response I got:

Dear Ms. Green:

Thank you for writing me about S. 373, a bill I introduced that would ban the importation and trade between States of the Burmese python.

Burmese pythons often are released into the wild when their owners can no longer care for them. Though not native to south Florida, Burmese pythons are thriving in the Everglades National Park, threatening natural species, many of which are endangered, and posing the risk of upsetting the delicate ecosystem of the region. We have invested many years and billions of dollars in an effort to restore the Everglades to its natural balance, and non-native species, like Burmese pythons, threaten to undo that work.

During a committee review of S. 373, the bill was amended to cover nine constrictor species deemed high or medium risk by a recent U.S. Geological Service report.

As this legislation moves through Congress, I will keep your views in mind.

Sincerely,
    Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator from Florida: eBriefs

Could he be anymore condescending??! So frustrating...

Re: I emailed Senator Nelson and check out his response!

It's a form letter. I received the same reply.

My best guess is that he doesn't even see the comments, his staff probably gets them, and then pulls up the proper form letter to respond. Another best guess is that you would have received the same form letter whether you were writing to support, or oppose S373.

I made a phone call yesterday to his office. Here's a post I put up on another forum regarding the details:

I just spoke with Will Stein @ Senator Nelsons office and our conversation lasted a good 35 minutes or so. The highlights of the conversation are this:

They FULLY believe that the majority of the pythons in the Everglades are released pets, or their descendants. Will said that they have the rangers backing this up, as well as admission by people. They do NOT believe what has been written on the internet about Hurricane Andrew being the cause of most of the pythons.

Will stated that their two main concerns are additional imported animals into the US, and released pets.

I reminded Will that there are already laws against releasing non-native wildlife into the Everglades. He acknowledged that, but said that people just ignore the law and went on to say that S373 essentially will add another layer to the existing law.

I then asked him about the possibility of only banning the import of these animals into the US as it addresses the concerns about wild animals coming into the country, but does not restrict trade between the states, thereby keeping people who are dependend upon their snake related income, in business. He said he liked the idea and would pass it along to Senator Nelson.

I gave Will some examples of how this bill will hurt me financially through the elimination of interstate commerce. I explained that in this market, a snakes future production capabilities are what gives many animals their value and if demand is reduced by 98% (from all 50 states down to 1 state - or 2% of the number of states), then the value drops as well. As a result, the investment value of these animals is nullified. He admitted he had never thought about it from that perspective and would make sure to pass that along to Senator Nelson as well.

I also touched on Rodda's initial report regarding the expansion of the Burmese python and quoted Pyron's rebuttal. I explained that average daily temperature is a fatally flawed method of determining the suitability of habitat and that temperature extremes are much more important. Will actually admitted that he knew the Burmese python would NEVER leave the Everglades.

Will continued to reiterate how easy it is for people to buy Burmese pythons and I said that as a responsible snake keeper, I am FULLY behind reasonable efforts to require a permit for large constricting snakes. I explained that a permit would help to reduce impulse purchases (which would curb the release of unwanted animals) and provide income for the state.

I also mentioned to Will that Senator Nelson estimated that there are 100,000 Burmese pythons in the Everglades, and year long efforts have only resulted in the removal of approximately 350 of these snakes. I then told him that if the snakes stopped growing in numbers and removal techniques did not improve, it would take 250-300 years to remove all of the pythons. He started laughing because he had never done the math and was blown away by the futility of the activity.

All in all, Will was EXTREMELY courteous, forthcoming, and open to the idea of better solutions.

I closed by saying that I FULLY support efforts to remove Burmese pythons from the wild, but that I would like to see legislation with that as the focus, rather than just making it difficult to do business.

We thanked each other for the others time and courtesy, he took down my full name and email address and said that if Senator Nelson has any comments or questions, he'll be sure to get back to me.

Now, I don't expect anything to come of this conversation and I'm sure if Will makes any recommendations to Senator Nelson, they'll be ignored. But I did it to prove to myself that it's not impossible to influence those surrounding Senator Nelson. And if we all work together, we can create a snowball effect.

Thanks,
    jb

Comment

It is so frustrating. I don't even know who I would get a Burmese python from here in Florida. I mean, you would think since he is representing this state, he would care what we have to say. I know he won't give it a second thought.

Comment

I think he doesn't like getting anything from out of state people either, I have sent him many emails requesting a reply and have got nothing. I think he is getting mad, which may be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
          It's a form letter. I received the same reply.

My best guess is that he doesn't even see the comments, his staff probably gets them, and then pulls up the proper form letter to respond. Another best guess is that you would have received the same form letter whether you were writing to support, or oppose S373.

I made a phone call yesterday to his office. Here's a post I put up on another forum regarding the details:

I just spoke with Will Stein @ Senator Nelsons office and our conversation lasted a good 35 minutes or so. The highlights of the conversation are this:

They FULLY believe that the majority of the pythons in the Everglades are released pets, or their descendants. Will said that they have the rangers backing this up, as well as admission by people. They do NOT believe what has been written on the internet about Hurricane Andrew being the cause of most of the pythons.

Will stated that their two main concerns are additional imported animals into the US, and released pets.

I reminded Will that there are already laws against releasing non-native wildlife into the Everglades. He acknowledged that, but said that people just ignore the law and went on to say that S373 essentially will add another layer to the existing law.

I then asked him about the possibility of only banning the import of these animals into the US as it addresses the concerns about wild animals coming into the country, but does not restrict trade between the states, thereby keeping people who are dependend upon their snake related income, in business. He said he liked the idea and would pass it along to Senator Nelson.

I gave Will some examples of how this bill will hurt me financially through the elimination of interstate commerce. I explained that in this market, a snakes future production capabilities are what gives many animals their value and if demand is reduced by 98% (from all 50 states down to 1 state - or 2% of the number of states), then the value drops as well. As a result, the investment value of these animals is nullified. He admitted he had never thought about it from that perspective and would make sure to pass that along to Senator Nelson as well.

I also touched on Rodda's initial report regarding the expansion of the Burmese python and quoted Pyron's rebuttal. I explained that average daily temperature is a fatally flawed method of determining the suitability of habitat and that temperature extremes are much more important. Will actually admitted that he knew the Burmese python would NEVER leave the Everglades.

Will continued to reiterate how easy it is for people to buy Burmese pythons and I said that as a responsible snake keeper, I am FULLY behind reasonable efforts to require a permit for large constricting snakes. I explained that a permit would help to reduce impulse purchases (which would curb the release of unwanted animals) and provide income for the state.

I also mentioned to Will that Senator Nelson estimated that there are 100,000 Burmese pythons in the Everglades, and year long efforts have only resulted in the removal of approximately 350 of these snakes. I then told him that if the snakes stopped growing in numbers and removal techniques did not improve, it would take 250-300 years to remove all of the pythons. He started laughing because he had never done the math and was blown away by the futility of the activity.

All in all, Will was EXTREMELY courteous, forthcoming, and open to the idea of better solutions.

I closed by saying that I FULLY support efforts to remove Burmese pythons from the wild, but that I would like to see legislation with that as the focus, rather than just making it difficult to do business.

We thanked each other for the others time and courtesy, he took down my full name and email address and said that if Senator Nelson has any comments or questions, he'll be sure to get back to me.

Now, I don't expect anything to come of this conversation and I'm sure if Will makes any recommendations to Senator Nelson, they'll be ignored. But I did it to prove to myself that it's not impossible to influence those surrounding Senator Nelson. And if we all work together, we can create a snowball effect.

Thanks,
          jb
          That's a pretty positive conversation. At least it sounds like this guy was being considerate, listening to your viewpoints. Here's hoping there are rational people still left in politics that give a ****.

Comment

Nelson needs to get fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Maybe we should make him clean up snake poo at the reptile house in the Zoo!!!! HaHa!!!
            At least then you will know are tax dollars are doing some good LMBO!!

Comment

Wow I'm impressed with your conversation. You did a great job handling it professionally that you were able to get your views across. Hopefully he really will pass on your views to the senator.

Comment

Originally posted by jvarner View Post
                I think he doesn't like getting anything from out of state people either, I have sent him many emails requesting a reply and have got nothing. I think he is getting mad, which may be a good thing.

This is a common practice for most all the U.S. Senators. Their
                websites explain that they get so much E-mail they only
                respond to in state constituents

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X