X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Hanna on S373

YouTube - Snakes Alive

Re: Jack Hanna on S373

Thanks for the video I haven't seen this one before.

Comment

I would've liked to hear a little more argument against the bill instead of just "We don't want it to impact the zoos." It's not going to impact the zoos, they will be able to get a permit. However, they will have no private breeders to buy from. Zoos will be able to ship snakes to each other, but how will they get their snakes? Most zoos buy from private breeders, especially the Columbus Zoo. Now, they either do all their breeding or we can't even see snakes in zoos if this passes.
      http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

What weak worthless bunch of statements by Jack Hanna.
        Absolutely no freak'n back bone, no help at all
        That was his chance to shoot this whole thing down
        He said nothing that would convinnce anyone that this all BS

Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I really hate how people use that kids death as an excuse to get rid of snakes. It is a sad thing to happen...BUT... how many deaths a year are caused by dogs? Dogs will never be outlawed (which I am glad for) but they are way more dangerous than snakes.

Sorry but ole Jack doesn't sound like he knows what the *bleep*he is talking about.

Comment

while the piece didn't necessarily help us, i wouldn't say it was nearly as harmful as other pieces have been.

at least he gave the IMPRESSION he was opposed to the ban - even if it wasn't for the best reasons...

Comment

I say we team up and hit jack with some e-mails just to make sure next time he goes on TV...he keeps us in mind.....

His Facebook: Jungle Jack Hanna | Facebook

He can be considered a big voice on this....

Personal website: [email protected]

Comment

not a bad plan, j...

get on it, people!

Comment

here's what i just sent...

Hello,

I want to express my thanks for standing up and voicing your opinion against the python and boa ban to fox news. So often, the media will pick up on a story such as the death of the 2 year old girl in Florida and sensationalize it. It seems that's the only time you hear about a large snake. In reality, it is a SUPER rare incident (only 9 in the last 20 years).

The politicians and the Humane Society of the US (HSUS) have attempted to capitalize on the sensationalization of the issue by introducing S373 and HR2811. They are using the USGS studies entitled "Giant Constrictors: Biological and Management Profiles and an Establishment Risk Assessment for Nine Large Species of Pythons, Anacondas, and the Boa Constrictor" and "What parts of the US mainland are climatically suitable for invasive alien pythons spreading from Everglades National Park?" in order to support the legislation.

What no news agencies are willing to report is that the second study mentioned ("What Parts...") has been debunked by a more complete study out of the City University of New York entitled "Claims of Potential Expansion Throughout the U.S. by Invasive Python Species Are Contradicted by Ecological Niche Models" (Pyron, et al) linked here: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002931

They also neglect to mention that the more recent report ("Giant Constrictors...") is based on little more than speculation. The report itself acknowledges that there is VERY little data regarding these snakes, Boas in particular. It has also been criticized by a group of biologists and herpetologists from around the country (including Dr. Brady Barr) as being "unscientific." In an open letter to Congress, the group also states that the report, "is not suitable as the basis for legislative or regulatory policies, as its content is not based on best science practices, it has not undergone external peer-review, and it diverts attention away from the primary concern."

A sumary of that letter can be found here: http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2009/12/547.html.

I would urge you to also consider a paper written by David and Tracy Barker, two leading snake breeders. It can be found here: http://vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/OnBurmese_Florida_compressed.pdf. This report is VERY informative and uses sound logic to debunk many of the myths surrounding the Burmese python issue in South Florida.

I do appreciate your concern over this issue, but would urge you to consider not only the fate of the reptile divisions of the zoos, but also the tens of thousands of breeders and keepers who would be out of jobs and hobbies if this politically motivated legislation moves forward. I would urge you to speak out, not only on behalf of zoos, but also the Reptile Nation as a whole.

If passed, this bill will not be the end of the issue. The HSUS has openly expressed their opposition to the general public keeping nearly all pets (especially reptiles). S373 and HR2811 set a dispicable precidence, where sweeping bans can be forced through congress based on little more than speculation and media hype. HSUS will not stop at boas and pythons. They will move on to other reptiles, then, ultimately, to any animal that is not native to the US, regardless of the potential for establishment (as is clearly the case with the current legislation).

Respectfully,
                  Chris DeLange

------------------------------------------------------------------
                  try not to use that exactly... although you're welcome to use it as an example. i don't want him thinking there is only one person behind these feelings.

Comment

jack hanna is a stumbling mumbling p**** never liked him. although he half helped out still too negative

Comment

Memo to Jack Hannah,

I'll consider what you have to say the day you can make it through and entire sentence on the first try and just as soon as you stop going on the 'Half naked pre-teen variety hour, with Maury Povich' show. I agree with Chris, this wasn't AS damaging as other pieces that have comeout recently but it's absolutely ridiculous that the scumbag reporter made more points for our side than this stuttering mongoloid.

Mat.

Comment

lets hit up all these guys...**** weve all watched there show's and listened to them....now let them here us....

someone come up with a list of these nature channel guys...ill try to find some on the net too

Comment

Jack sounded like a babbling idiot......What a shame

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
                            lets hit up all these guys...**** weve all watched there show's and listened to them....now let them here us....

someone come up with a list of these nature channel guys...ill try to find some on the net too
                            More than a few of the animal show type people want animals left in the wild so that we have to learn about them on their shows. A lot of them do not support the keeping of pets and regularly speak on behalf of the groups that are pushing this legislation. If we can find some who are on our side I'd be happy to send off some letters but I think there are very few of them out there.

Originally posted by davenkelly View Post
                            Jack sounded like a babbling idiot......What a shame
                            At least we know that we weren't kidnapped away to opposite land while we were sleeping. Hey! Jacks blatant mental dysfunction proved useful after all!

Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Serpentes Inc. View Post
                              Dogs will never be outlawed.
                              You may be right about this.. I hope to God you are right, but don't rest on this assumption. PETA is already trying to push legislations to ban the big dog "factories" kennels that mass produce litters. And because some of these kennels are not clean or kept to standards just gives them ammo to fight us.

Also don't forget. MOST of our pets found in any pet store are IMPORTED. Fish, birds, reptiles. Most are imported. Non-native species will be attacked on every front and that may include dogs and cats that are not native.
                              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                              -Clay English
                              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Working...
                              X