Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get some known faces to help with S373, HR2811, and HR699?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get some known faces to help with S373, HR2811, and HR699?

I've been thinking about this - can we get Terri Irwin, Austin Stevens, Brady Bar, Nigel Marvin, and/or Mark O'Shea to make PSAs (video would be best, but in writing wouldn't hurt) explaining why S373, HR2811, and HR699 are bad. If they can post the videos to their respective web sites that would be fantastic... or even YouTube (given the exposure YouTube videos get).

I realize that none of these individuals lives in the US, but as key figures in herpetology and the herpetecultural community their voices will carry some weight.

I've been trying to find direct emails for each of these to explain the situation and pose this very question to, but I'm having a very difficult time locating a direct line (as it were). There's also the fact that a single request wouldn't have the same resonance as many. Can we organize some kind of write-on campaign to these folks to see if they would stand beside us in our fight?

Also, Bill Haast has been a figure in southern Florida for decades, and used to go snake hunting in the Everglades. ...Any chance we could get his voice heard.

...Sorry, I've been swamped with work lately so I haven't made the progress I'd have liked on this idea, so I'm presenting it to the community to see if we can rally together and get others involved to help our cause.

We need all of the help we can get.

Re: Can we get some known faces to help with S373, HR2811, and HR699?

Nigel Marven

Comment

We've been hoping and wanting this to occur for a long time now.

If one would come out publicly about this others would surely follow.

The closest we've come is Brady Barr signing the letter to congress

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Well, we did have Jack Hanna but it really wasn't a video in our favor. I'm not certain letter bombing celebreties would win them over to our cause either. I think it would be great to have respected figures voice on the topic. The best chances of that happening are likely if USARK or other organizations were to facilitate it.

Comment

I have a hard time believing these folks aren't aware of what's going on. There have to be countless people across America emailing them. They have the chance to voice their opinions, and they haven't done it.

Jack Hanna's pleading on Fox News (I believe it was Fox) was completely misguided and in fact, he has nothing to worry about as Zoo's can get a permit to continue doing what they're doing. So, even he's completely misinformed about this bill.

Nigel Marvin JUST went on Jay Leno. Not a WORD about this.

I believe I heard something about Jeff Corwin being some board member of an organization that would lead me to believe he wouldn't support this. Although I can't remember what it is.

Also, these guys have a LOT to lose, financially, if they back us and something goes south.

We have to proceed under the premise that this is our fight, and we're going to win it with the members of the herp community. Luckily, the US Chamber of Commerce has shown support for us, which is HUUUUUGE! And hopefully the CBO was able to compile statistics showing the economic impact of this bill. But we can't depend on those two things to make our case. We HAVE to go at this like well trained, POLITE, foot soldiers and win this war on the front lines!

jb
          For questions and comments, please email
          [email protected]
          JOIN USARK! http://www.usark.org/join.php

Comment

Working...
          X