Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Senators Response to bill S. 373

Dear Mr. Gonzalez:

Thank you for writing me about S. 373, a bill I introduced that would ban the importation and trade between States of the Burmese python.

Burmese pythons often are released into the wild when their owners can no longer care for them. Though not native to south Florida, Burmese pythons are thriving in the Everglades National Park, threatening natural species, many of which are endangered, and posing the risk of upsetting the delicate ecosystem of the region. We have invested many years and billions of dollars in an effort to restore the Everglades to its natural balance, and non-native species like Burmese pythons threaten to undo that work.

I understand your concern that my bill would punish responsible python owners. My bill will not take away existing pythons from owners. The State of Florida has made progress recently in balancing the needs of pet owners and the concerns for the environment by requiring micro-chipping and permits for reptiles of concern, including the Burmese python. My bill would serve as a Federal companion to help stop the expanding population of large constrictor snakes in the wild.

During a committee review of S. 373, the bill was amended to cover nine constrictor species deemed high or medium risk by a recent U.S. Geological Service report.

I appreciate your taking the time to write me with your views on this important matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
    Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator from Florida: eBriefs

Re: My Senators Response to bill S. 373

I literally just received the same response about 1 minute ago.

jb

Comment

Idiot! That's all I have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by HopingForBabies View Post
        Idiot! That's all I have to say.

exactly....But honestly I did not expect anything else from that punk...

Comment

***My reply to Sen Bill Nelsons reply. I realize everyone says Sen Nelson is a lost cause, but I have to try. If this goes through, I have to feel like I've done everything I can.***

Senator Nelson,

I'd ask that you read my letter personally, and consider if this legislation is truly the route you wish to take to try to deal with the issue of Burmese pythons in the Everglades.

I'd like to start by saying that as a citizen of the world, the US, and Florida, I fully support your efforts to restore the Everglades. I also fully support well thought out efforts to eradicate the non-native population of Burmese pythons in the Everglades. Finally, I fully support imposing penalties upon irresponsible pet owners of all kinds.

Having said that, I'd like to address S. 373.

You have stated the following:
          "My bill would serve as a Federal companion to help stop the expanding population of large constrictor snakes in the wild."

I have read Section 42(a)(1) of title 18, United States Code and I am 100% positive that there is no clause or provision within it which penalizes people who release their pets into the wild. Additionally, adding the 9 species of constricting snakes to Title 18 of the US Code will not provide any solutions to removing Burmese pythons from the Everglades. So I can confidently say, S. 373 although very well intentioned, does not address the problem it seeks to solve.

You should also consider the massive economic impacts of pushing this legislation. The reptile trade in the US is a 3 billion dollar per year business upon which, tens of thousands of US citizens rely, in whole or in part, to make a living. The nine constrictors now included in S. 373 make up roughly 1/3 of that 3 billion dollars in sales of the snakes, as well as the cages, food, and dry goods that go to keep them healthy and properly cared for. To put that into perspective, the Humane Society of the United States, the organization endorsing this legislation, only received approximately 86 million dollars in donations last year. That means that the reptile industry is 34 times larger than the HSUS who is beating down your door, asking you to remove our rights.

The vast majority of the sales of these 9 pet snakes takes place over the internet and those sales rely on the ability of the sellers, to ship the pet to the new owner - more often than not, out of state. The vast majority of the value of these snakes lies in their reproductive capabilities, and the ability to sell the offspring. If people can't sell the offspring to individuals in the other 48 states, there will be no demand for the supply and the market for these animals will collapse over night.

To use an analogy, imagine if it were illegal to sell stocks and bonds to someone who lives in a state other than yours. The stock market would crash, bankrupting everyone who relies on the stock market. The snake market is no different.

Adding these 9 pets to Title 18 will make shipping these pets across state lines, illegal and punishable by massive fines and imprisonment.

It will also make it illegal and punishable for me to move from one state to another and bring my pets with me. Pets I've had for over a decade.

If for some reason I have to evacuate out of Florida for a natural disaster, I will have to leave my pets behind. When Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, we had a very in depth look at what happens to pets that are left behind. They don't survive. I know you don't want that for the citizens of your state, or any state in the US.

Additionally, you're penalizing those in the armed forces who keep these animals as pets as you're not allowing them to ever relocate or return home with their pets.

There are numerous other examples I could give where S. 373 adversely impacts the citizens of the US, but I think that's enough.

None of this is fair, just, or necessary. It also alienates people rather than banding them together to rally around a cause.

There is a better solution to the problem of Burmese pythons in the Everglades than S. 373.

The best solution is one that will address the removal of the snakes from the ENP and will punish those misguided and irresponsible pet owners who seek to release them. A "best solution" will not infringe upon and bankrupt the tens of thousands of people who rely on interstate commerce in reptiles to survive.

Such a solution does not exist yet but I assure you, when it is found, it will be fully supported by every person in the nation who owns a pet reptile of any and every kind, that's 5 million households across America! Including the owners of the 4 million boas, pythons, and anacondas in the US.

Please read this letter and consider every sentence, especially this one: "Supporting S. 373 is not the solution to the Burmese python problem in the Everglades".

I've already received the letter below. I look forward to a more personalized response soon.

Thank you for your time,
          Jonathan Brady

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Brady:

Thank you for writing me about S. 373, a bill I introduced that would ban the importation and trade between States of the Burmese python.

Burmese pythons often are released into the wild when their owners can no longer care for them. Though not native to south Florida, Burmese pythons are thriving in the Everglades National Park, threatening natural species, many of which are endangered, and posing the risk of upsetting the delicate ecosystem of the region. We have invested many years and billions of dollars in an effort to restore the Everglades to its natural balance, and non-native species like Burmese pythons threaten to undo that work.

I understand your concern that my bill would punish responsible python owners. My bill will not take away existing pythons from owners. The State of Florida has made progress recently in balancing the needs of pet owners and the concerns for the environment by requiring micro-chipping and permits for reptiles of concern, including the Burmese python. My bill would serve as a Federal companion to help stop the expanding population of large constrictor snakes in the wild.

During a committee review of S. 373, the bill was amended to cover nine constrictor species deemed high or medium risk by a recent U.S. Geological Service report.

I appreciate your taking the time to write me with your views on this important matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
          Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator from Florida: eBriefs

Comment

Kudos to you for taking on the big *smelly* fish. One can only hope he will read it.

Comment

Senators almost never actually read letters sent to them as you can see. They actually pay people to go through and just read what the letter is about and then they make a tally of how many letters on what subject came through. I had friends that did this as summer jobs since we're so close to DC and said it was very boring, but that was how you got your foot in the door I suppose. Reps and Senators may read a letter or two for a photo/video op, but it's not common place.

That letter from Nelson doesn't even make you feel good as a constituent though. Most canned letters I've read are fairly vague just acknowledging the concern and stating that the elected official will be researching, and going "door to door" to find out what his people want. He pretty much just says, "gee sorry if you don't agree with me, but this is what I think and I'm right."

Comment

Great response letter jb, its really a shame the Senator doesn't read or will not read this letter.
                Its extremely informative and to the point !

Are you going to Fax this Letter
                E-mail this letter as well as
                snail mail this letter ?

I hope you do all three methods JB

Lar M
                Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

btw Lar, based on your recommendation, I faxed and snail mailed the letter as well. Thanks for reminding me that I had additional avenues with which to be effective!

jb

Comment

Dear Mr. Laubscher:

Sincerely,
                    Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm

Comment

Outstanding reply letter JB, have you sent a cc to local news agencies also? If nothing more this thread is proving your local senator dosn't read his own voters corrispondance, News agencies like that sort of thing to report sometimes,
                      Get the media working for you where ever possible.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X