Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Year Cold Weather Event?? Pythons/Boas Survive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Year Cold Weather Event?? Pythons/Boas Survive??

I was talking to Jeff today on the phone and he mentioned something we should have thought about sooner in our fight. NATURE

We are in the midst of another nationwide cold weather event... Seems to happen every 10 years or so like clockwork.

Our temps in Texas are predicted in the low to mid teens on Thursday and Friday. 15 and 17 degrees respectively.

Even South Texas is predicted at 24.

Tampa Florida in the 30's all this week.

No way python and boa species can survive these cold weather events like this. Even if they survive at the very tip of florida these weather events would prevent any migration north for any length of time.
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Re: 10 Year Cold Weather Event?? Pythons/Boas Survive??

Be interesting to cross reference this with native areas. Including 10 year trends of northern mexico and mountain terrains.

Comment

The Everglades may have a pretty serious Python Population Drop in the next week. Check out the 10-day forecast for Miami, FL.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Miami, FL - weather.com

Mark

Comment

true true Its a nice idea even if true this fact probably wont effect the the push of the bill since there not being scientific about it anyway. But it would be a nice addition to the USARK videos and such.

Comment

hey nelson and rhodda...

STICK THAT IN YOUR CORN-FLAKES AND EAT IT!!!

Comment

Oh but wait!! Have you not read the USGS report???? I attempted to get read/get through it today, the full report.....Its a JOKE...Seems the authors think the "Giant Constrictors" ( our Boas included ) will will hide in burrows and even take to the water to maintain the proper body tempature in conditions like this...and will survive...

If you have not yet, read the full report (or do as I did and scan read )...And please, please do not do it at work...you Boss will call you in the office for YELLING at your computer.....100 times them butt heads say that their conclusions are based on old and in-accurate data...

Try to read it, PLEASE!!!

Comment

Here's a post by Floridian and long time Herper Tom Crutchfeild made at another Forum
              THE PYTHONS IN THE GLADES

Posted by: TOM_CRUTCHFIELD at Mon Jan 4 17:31:02 2010

THE PYTHONS IN THE GLADES will take a big hit this week. It's going to drop into the low 40's to high 30's every night until next Mon here. This will be the coldest weather we've had here for many decades in terms of duration. Usually we only have one or two cold night's annually but this is going to last a week!! In Miami this morning Cuban Anoles and small Iguana's were lying on the ground after getting so cold they fell out of the trees. My guess is that the population of feral Burmese will be decimated by this extended cold. They simply can NOT survive prolonged periods of weather like this. The ones that survive will likely develop RI infections later and even more will die...So much for the Python problem...The wild feral cats however will do quite well...LOL
              -----
              Tom Crutchfield

Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Yeah,
                Good old "Mother Nature" could really do some damage to the Burm populations.

I sort of thought this was breeding season for the burms. It could be that most or all of the babies that "would" have happened this year, could be lost. Good for the Everglades, but still sad for the snakes. Of course, that's the way things work in the wild. Nature has a way of keeping things in check.

I don't think this cold snap is as good as many might think. Sure it's going to wipe out a "LOT" of burms. However, there will be some that survive. The survivors would be the fuel that Senator Nelson will be looking for to help "promote" his agenda. He'll state that the "BOGUS" HSGS Report is correct, because there "were" survivors. He won't care how many have died. He'll only look at the ones that are still alive.

Besides, this ban isn't about feral populations of burms in the Everglades.... It's about the agenda of the HSUS.

Comment

Tomorrow morning will be in the 30's and this is Miami area. Anything West or North will only be more cold. I am starting to see the Iguanas laying on the side of the roads that have fallen out of the tree's from the cold.

Comment

what has no legs, "eats everything" and goes "150,000... 140,000... 120,000... 100,000... 75,000... 50,000... 25,000... 5,000..."?
                    answer: FERREL BURMESE PYTHONS IN FLORIDA!!!

(they're all DYING because of the cold-snap... get it? HAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Comment

another feral burmese sighted in my town today in melb. fl. It was on the news today they could not get it it went into a canal. the report said thats where its gonna stay. trappers couldn t do anything. they said it will stay in the water cause the water temp is warmar than the air temp. more searching tommorrow I guess. I might take a look myself. If It dont show up. Its a ten footer and the canal is right next to a park. eyewitness news central fl.theres a video on it there. BTW im four hours north of the everglades so this is some irresponsable owner.

Comment

Originally posted by ron petri View Post
                        another feral burmese sighted in my town today in melb. fl. It was on the news today they could not get it it went into a canal. the report said thats where its gonna stay. trappers couldn t do anything. they said it will stay in the water cause the water temp is warmar than the air temp. more searching tommorrow I guess. I might take a look myself. If It dont show up. Its a ten footer and the canal is right next to a park. eyewitness news central fl.theres a video on it there. BTW im four hours north of the everglades so this is some irresponsable owner.
                        Melbourne is Orlando area and that would make it cold up there comparred to Miami. I bet it never gets out of the water and dies. It will have no energy to get out and will probably drown. If it makes it, it will most likely have a respitory issue and die.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                          However, there will be some that survive.

Besides, this ban isn't about feral populations of burms in the Everglades.... It's about the agenda of the HSUS.
                          Linda, I agree with this completely. This is about the HSUS and PETA liberal agendas.

From a real world perspective however, there will be some burms that will survive at the southern tip of Florida i am sure.

However these "10 year" events like this absolutely would NOT allow boids to survive outside in 98% of the country.
                          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                          -Clay English
                          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

This way COOL.lol Get it,cool..
                            The one thing I worry about with this cold snap is the burms are going to seek out warmth, which would mean peoples houses,garages,warm engines of vehicles etc. We could see more siteings on the news of burms in more populated areas. which would be very bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X