No announcement yet.

Response from One of My Senators??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response from One of My Senators??????

This is really frustrating. I've received a response back from Sen. Jeff Sessions (R) AL, and as happened for many of you, it appears all his office noticed was the Bill Number S. 373, and automatically assumes I am for it. See if I reading this wrong.

"Dear Mr. Mercier,

Thank you for contacting me regarding invasive species.

I understand your concerns about invasive species and I assure you I have been actively working
    with state and federal agencies to control and remove various invasive species in Alabama, such as cogongrass (which is a stupid WEED that I don't think would impact the livelihoods of many small businesses)As you may know, legislation (S. 373) was introduced by Senator Bill Nelson on February 3, 2009, to add pythons to the list of injurious species that are currently prohibited from being imported into this country. S. 373 is currently pending before the Senate Environmental and Public Works Committee for review. I understand the importance of this issue to you, and I assure you that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this measure progresses through the legislative process.

Thank you again for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any comments or questions.

Very truly yours,
    Jeff Sessions
    United States Senator"

I should state that I copied the letter from the USARK site. I'm still working on my response to his response. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Re: Response from One of My Senators??????

sadly, that is a very typical response.

the ONLY way around it is to arrange an in-person meeting with a member of your senator's staff. this is best done by a formal request (faxed is probably the best way to get it there) along with phone calls (probably a lot of them) to follow up on your request. don't settle for just anyone, either. ask for a "senior aide" or a "policy adviser."

he/she will try to tell you "this bill isn't likely to pass" or that "this bill isn't going to take away your pets," but insist that the bill DOES INDEED have a high likelihood of passing based on its supporters (HSUS, Florida Fish/Wildlife Service, etc.), and that you would appreciate an opportunity to meet in person to further explain the dangers of this bill and why your senator should oppose it.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X