Response from Sen. Feinstein (D-CA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response from Sen. Feinstein (D-CA)

OK, I know this mostly contains the standard canned response. I also know that Dianne Feinstein is a lost cause to us, but I was actually encouraged that this response does note that I made contact to oppose the legislation. It also speaks of more scientificly based review. That tells me that someone in the office did actually read the e-mail. (I of couse, have received no response to snail mail and phone calls)

I'm not getting my hopes up, but this could be good. The part about S373 or any similar legislation thing was encouraging too. At least my voice has been noted by the US Senator who "represents" my part of California.

The text of the response follows...

Dear Mr. Robbins:

Thank you for writing to express your opposition to legislation that would place large constrictor snakes on the injurious species list. I appreciate your correspondence and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) introduced S.373 on February 3, 2009. S. 373 and its companion bill in the House of Representatives, H.R. 2811, would amend the Lacey Act (42 U.S.C. w 18) to include constrictor snakes, such as the Burmese Python, as injurious species. Under the Lacey Act, the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to regulate the importation and transport of species determined to be injurious to the health and welfare of humans. Currently, S.373 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Although I do not serve on this Committee, I will keep your opposition to this bill, as well as maintaining a science-based review process, in mind should S.373 or any similar legislation be considered by the Senate.

Once again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
    Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.
Working...
X