Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

    Gov. Kasich to sign exotic-pet executive order | wkyc.com

  • #2
    Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...



    Is there any thing that can stop this BS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

      Haven't we learned that knee jerk reactions aren't the best way to go about things?

      Any idea on what the order entails?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

        Details about what the order wil entail have not been released yet.

        Hopefully he uses some common sense about this.

        Lar M
        Boas By Klevitz

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

          I thought Kasich was on our side? This could be very bad but we will need to hear all the details.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

            jack hanna's wife read a statement for jack at the news conference announcing this EO:

            The past few days have been one of the most difficult times in my entire career. My heart aches for all the beautiful creatures that lost their lives. Thank you to all of the first responders and the various animal organizations that had to make quick and extremely challenging decisions. While we mourn the loss of those magnificent animals, we are finding hope in the animals that were rescued and are thankful that law enforcement, zoological staff, and the public remained safe throughout this crisis situation.

            I applaud the State of Ohio for responding swiftly to Tuesday’s tragedy in Zanesville. Governor Kasich has demonstrated his commitment to wildlife before – he helped me add the African Elephant to the threatened species list in the mid-1980s and I’m pleased that we’re working together again to make Ohio, and this world, a better place for animals.

            Over the past several months we’ve been working closely with the State of Ohio to develop a framework for legislation regarding dangerous animals. It is important to me that this legislation targets only exotic animals kept in inhumane, substandard conditions. I believe that private individuals or organizations (educators, reputable breeders, rescues/sanctuaries) with the proper expertise, permits, resources, and facilities should be allowed to keep exotic animals. Animal welfare and public safety are my primary concerns and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, the Wilds, and I are ready to assist the State of Ohio in any way that we can to protect animals. We’re taking steps together to insure this never happens again.

            there's no telling exactly what this EO (or the pending legislation) involves at the moment, but i believe that if jack hanna has his way, we should be safe on some level. things WILL change, there's no doubt about that now, i just hope that on the other side of this, those of us who are responsible will still have a reasonable way to enjoy our hobby/businesses.
            Last edited by dangles; 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

              Originally posted by dangles View Post
              jack hanna's wife read a statement for jack at the news conference announcing this EO:

              The past few days have been one of the most difficult times in my entire career. My heart aches for all the beautiful creatures that lost their lives. Thank you to all of the first responders and the various animal organizations that had to make quick and extremely challenging decisions. While we mourn the loss of those magnificent animals, we are finding hope in the animals that were rescued and are thankful that law enforcement, zoological staff, and the public remained safe throughout this crisis situation.

              I applaud the State of Ohio for responding swiftly to Tuesday’s tragedy in Zanesville. Governor Kasich has demonstrated his commitment to wildlife before – he helped me add the African Elephant to the threatened species list in the mid-1980s and I’m pleased that we’re working together again to make Ohio, and this world, a better place for animals.

              Over the past several months we’ve been working closely with the State of Ohio to develop a framework for legislation regarding dangerous animals. It is important to me that this legislation targets only exotic animals kept in inhumane, substandard conditions. I believe that private individuals or organizations (educators, reputable breeders, rescues/sanctuaries) with the proper expertise, permits, resources, and facilities should be allowed to keep exotic animals. Animal welfare and public safety are my primary concerns and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, the Wilds, and I are ready to assist the State of Ohio in any way that we can to protect animals. We’re taking steps together to insure this never happens again.
              there's no telling exactly what this EO (or the pending legislation) involves at the moment, but i believe that if jack hanna has his way, we should be safe on some level. things WILL change, there's no doubt about that now, i just hope that on the other side of this, those of us who are responsible will still have a reasonable way to enjoy our hobby/businesses.

              It makes me curious now . . . . I now we'll find out pretty soon but it makes me curious how
              they''ll judge guys like Me and You Chris.


              What decision will they make, will they decide that we are not capable or
              responsible enough to Keep Reptiles such as Boa constrictors ?!?!


              You edited before I wrote this so I responded before reading your edit but anyway . . . . .

              Lar M
              Boas By Klevitz

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm hopeful that with people like Jack Hannah involved, the guys like Chris, Tim, Nate and I should be safe. I believe whatever law goes into effect will mostly target the exotic animal auctions and people who really shouldn't have these animals. Gov Kasich has already shown the Ohio reptile community his support so I doubt reptiles will be on the list with the big cats and primates.

                Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
                http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

                http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

                  Originally posted by b3napoleon View Post
                  I'm hopeful that with people like Jack Hannah involved, the guys like Chris, Tim, Nate and I should be safe. I believe whatever law goes into effect will mostly target the exotic animal auctions and people who really shouldn't have these animals. Gov Kasich has already shown the Ohio reptile community his support so I doubt reptiles will be on the list with the big cats and primates.
                  Fingers crossed for you guys because ultimately what is decided here will (probably) affect the rest of us.
                  http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

                  Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

                    http://www.wkyc.com/news/state/artic...xecutive-order

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

                      Governor's press release:
                      http://www.governor.ohio.gov/Portals...Fact Sheet.pdf

                      Link to actual EO:
                      http://governor.ohio.gov/Portals/0/p...O 2011-24K.pdf

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If I understand the EO correctly, the govenor basically put together the resources needed to gather facts before he make a decision on what laws, if any laws should be put in place.

                        At least it is not an immediate ban on all "exotics".

                        Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk


                        Tim

                        http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

                          Originally posted by tsblair View Post
                          If I understand the EO correctly, the govenor basically put together the resources needed to gather facts before he make a decision on what laws, if any laws should be put in place.

                          At least it is not an immediate ban on all "exotics".

                          Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
                          That what is seems like to me to .
                          Lets hope so.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Ohio Governor Kasich to sign Emergency EO...

                            The fact that they're taking the time to research before just slapping together a knee-jerk bill is a VERY GOOD THING. It doesn't mean a horrible bill won't be passed, but it's a good sign so far. I've got my fingers crossed for you guys up there! (and all of us everywhere, for that matter.)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think he felt compelled to release something quick but noncommittal to address the public's concerns. The ODNR and a group of organizations (including the zoos, HSUS, and the Ohio Animal Owners' Assoc) have been working on new rules as the Dangerous Wild Animal Task Force, or something to that effect. They'll be releasing their plan at the end of November. At least Kasich didn't order some knee-jerk ban, like a previous poster stated.

                              I would post better info and links if I wasn't on my stupid phone.

                              Sent from a stupid phone using a stupid tiny keyboard
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X