• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake ban Video

This really gets my blood boiling.

City of Norman in Oklahoma Considers Python and Boa Ban

Re: Snake ban Video

Oh no! A (live) 2 foot snake on my doorstep! What ever will I do? D': It is going to eat me whole!

Chances are if you have a 2 foot snake on your doorstep it is because a cat killed it and gave it to you as a present because cats are totally not harmful to the environment and not a pest.

It is cool that someone who is running for mayor also has snakes.

Comment

They might be doing snakes a favor? Norman OK. seems to always be in the cross-hairs of tornadoes...better for snakes if they live elsewhere & let the stupid people stay there, ha ha!
      (But of course, ANY such a ban IS ridiculous and I hope that all the snake-owners there fight this vigorously!)

Maybe we (here) could do a letter-writing campaign to oppose this ban? Politely of course, otherwise it backfires.

Comment

I'm not good at writing letters or being polite. I'm an IT guy. It is part of the job description to be condescending. I'd like to help. :/

Comment

Well, the fight really belongs to the locals there, for the most part. I don't know how much officials care what non-locals think anyway, but it's a thought.

Comment

I don't live in Norman, but I do live in Oklahoma. Turns out I happen to live near a city that has a ban on boas and pythons. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_074 View Post
              I don't live in Norman, but I do live in Oklahoma. Turns out I happen to live near a city that has a ban on boas and pythons. It's ridiculous.
              That's what happens when such bans go forth unchallenged...the idea spreads to other towns. Organize & speak UP, people!

Comment

I would think that anyone that lives in Oklahoma should respond to this. Right [MENTION=10373]bebowebb[/MENTION]?
                http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I am actually working the channels to try to get the ban overturned in the town I was speaking of. There isn't a lot of information as to why it was even passed in the first place. As I live several hours away from Norman, and cannot vote there, I have emailed the city council members seeking more information on the issue. It just isn't an option for me to travel there as often as will probably be needed to participate in their council meetings.

Comment

[MENTION=6455]Kenny_074[/MENTION] Please keep us posted on what is happening.
                    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

3 out of the 8 have emailed me back so far Zamora. I will copy and paste exact responses I have received so far.

Kenny, Our original proposal is being reconsidered and experts are being brought in. We have heard from many snake owners such as yourself and are taking a second look at what should be included or not in our definition of exotic animal.
                      Kenneth,

Thank you for this message. We are currently revisiting this restriction and are likely to bring forward a new policy that is more accommodating to those in our community that keep snakes as pets.

Your input and the input of those with your same opinion has been instrumental in us getting this issue correct.

Thank you for taking the time to write.
                      Greg
                      My position is that I will not be supporting a ban on boas or pythons if it comes to council. I believe it is scheduled to come to a vote in the next month.

If it is at all possible I will drive out to Norman for the meeting when it's brought up to vote, but that will largely depend on the responses from the other members.

Comment

That's encouraging results so far, keep up the good work! I think many people (city council members too) just know very little about snakes and when we can tactfully educate them, we do a world of good.

Comment

Well I have some good news. The city council in Norman Oklahoma revised the city ordinance regarding "Exotic Animals". Boas and pythons were taken off the list of banned species within city limits. Enough people spoke up, and the council actually listened.

I will be going to a city council meeting in the other city on March 14th to speak to them about revising their ban on boas and pythons. Hopefully the results will be the same there, but I think this one will take some more leg-work.

Comment

That's awesome! Thank you for doing that and also for updating us about the outcome. It's always easier to prevent something like this than it is to get it reversed, but now you've got some experience...we're
                            pulling for you! I'm just curious, what species are still banned in Norman OK?

Comment

As far as I could tell they still won't allow any venomous species unless they are native to the state.

Comment

Working...
                              X