Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boa has sores on its belly. What do I do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boa has sores on its belly. What do I do?

My boa has sores on its belly or it has raw places on its scales or belly . What should I do?

Instant Solution

==============================================
    Tip
    Clean the entire affected area by swabbing with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/water solution.

Must be thorough to treat the entire area because the damaged tissue could be in multiple places.

Apply Polysporin or Neosporin to the affected areas twice a day and work it in and under the scales.

Immediately clean the enclosure thoroughly. Raise ambient temperature to 88-90 degrees.

WARNING
    Consult your veterinarian as soon as possible, antibiotic injections may be required.

Information
    Scale Rot (Neocrotic Dermatitis) appears as enlarged, discolored (rust or reddish-brown), fluid filled scales.

Possible ulceration and breakdown of the skin and underlying tissue. Generally appears on the ventral scales (belly), and can be in one long continuous area or in separate spots. This is a bacterial infection that can be caused by damp substrate, inadequate temperatures, and dirty enclosures. Bad cases will also have blisters, and will require draining by your vet. Serious cases are life-threatening.

NOTE
    You must keep your boa warm and dry during the recovery process. If your boa tends to soak in the water bowl, it may be necessary to remove the larger bowl and replace it with a very small dish that would not allow soaking but still provide drinking water.

Here is a quick link to learn more about at home treatments.
    http://www.redtailboas.com/f110/emer...-online-40594/
    Last edited by ClayEnglish; 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM.
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013
Working...
X