fight with mites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Mites] fight with mites

Bah the ever so dreaded war against mites! Last week i purchased a nice Columbian rainbow boa from a local guy online. Every thing seemed fine, snake looked healthy came with a cage and accesories for 50 bucks. Heck the guy even purchased the snake from the pet store he used to work at. Little did i know what i was in store for lol. Today i dug around in the substate for him and picked him up, i sat him down to find 3-4 black mites on my hands. When i reached back in to pick him up he started striking at me lol. Anyways i put him in a bath of warm water for 2 hours ordered som PAM, and cleaned his cage with 5 percent clorox solution. After it aired out i wiped him down with reptile spray and placed him back in with newspaper this time. So round one is on, hopefully it will be a short fight! lol

Re: fight with mites

Sounds like you're on your way to wining the battle.

I had a mite problem with my female BCI when I brought her home.

I soaked her twice a day for 2-3 hours at a time in 80-82 degree water. Sprayed her down with JurassiMite twice a day, cleaned out her cage with 5% bleach solution, removed everything except her hide and water bowl, replaced her cypress mulch substrate with paper towels treated with PAM (which I replaced daily), and after a about a week of that the mites were history.

You don't have to use paper towels as a substrate - it just makes it easier to see mite activity in the cage since they stand out against the white paper.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

Comment

deep in the trenches with the scummy lil ditbags myself i smell there fear though....now is the winter of there discontent!

Comment

Give is a few months and you will be fine. You are already doing the right steps. I would repeat every 2 weeks for 2-3 months. This is what I did and I have not seen a mite since.

Comment

Sigh! It was feeding night tonight, everyone ate fine even the infected little guy. However when i was placing my ball python back into his normal tank i saw a mite on him too! Now this guy is all the way in the other end of my house. I can see right now that this war will not end quick or easy lol. On a positve note by the time i can move the guys around to clean and disinfect my PAM should be here.

Comment

hey guys my boas just got ites and ive been buggin out cause of it haha i did all the things that you all suggested but i have a question. qwhat is PAM?

Comment

Originally posted by icemanpballer View Post
              Sigh! It was feeding night tonight, everyone ate fine even the infected little guy. However when i was placing my ball python back into his normal tank i saw a mite on him too! Now this guy is all the way in the other end of my house. I can see right now that this war will not end quick or easy lol. On a positve note by the time i can move the guys around to clean and disinfect my PAM should be here.

Yeah mites will travel from one end of your house to the other in a day or two...

I used the Generic spray you can buy at the drug store instead of PAM..and it worked Perfectly....And I always spray down the new arrivals cages...

remember to lightly treat the substrate as well as all furnishings

Comment

Originally posted by smac718 View Post
                hey guys my boas just got ites and ive been buggin out cause of it haha i did all the things that you all suggested but i have a question. what is PAM?
                It's the cooking spray! No seriously I'm only kidding, don't go buy the cooking spray and treat your boas.

PAM= Prevent-A-Mite
                It is a preventative treatment for reptile substrate and enclosures to kill and prevent further mite infestations.

Comment

Its actually PROVENT-A-MITE.

Comment

Working...
                  X