321d too small for males????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 321d too small for males????

Need to call Jeff tomorrow and thinking of putting my males in 321d's (36x2x1), and running the females all in the 421d's. is the 321 too small or not the best choice for males. Space requirements kinda are in play but not that big of a deal.
    TIA
    Shawn

Re: 321d too small for males????

I don't think they are too small at all. Males are better breeders if kept around 5 foot and not too fat. That is the perfect for them in my opinion. I know some that keep there males in racks a little smaller than 3 x 2.

Comment

No that's not to small, but I would say spend a few more bucks and get the 421d and keep all your enclosures thesame size, it'll look a lot nicer when stacking them and the extra room wont hurt any, that is for sure.

Comment

4x2 males 6x2 female.Dam they live there whole life in a box.And ya cant give them a little room to move.

Comment

I think that's fine for males as long as you keep them smaller. I had a male that was a little over 9 feet, a 321d would've been much to small for him.
          http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

too small IMO. I have some males pushing 7+ feet... mind you they are 6-10 years old, but still... males don't stay small always, and even a 5 foot snake, should atleast be able to stretch out most of his body.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanR View Post
              too small IMO. I have some males pushing 7+ feet... mind you they are 6-10 years old, but still... males don't stay small always, and even a 5 foot snake, should atleast be able to stretch out most of his body.
              I'm with ryan, you might as well spend the extra on a bigger enclosure now then have to replace it later on if it out grows it. On the other hand, it may not grow that big but it's better safe than sorry right?

Comment

I can see spending the extra for the 421D's to give the boa extra room and for aesthetics of keeping all cages the same, but you have to remember that many breeders keep there males in 41 quart tubs as long as they are under 6 feet. Boas really don't need that much space and males shouldn't carry quite the girth that a similar length female will unless it is overfed. So unless your males are getting to be over 6 feet or are fat then the 321D should be fine. Just make sure your boa has enough room and temperature gradient so that it can thermoregulate.

Comment

Working...
                X